[Guide] - Cubase + Maschine MIDI Routing & Integration

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Dallon426

Dallon426 NI Product Owner

Hmm, experiencing any latency while doing this?

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Not me. Latency is the normal DAW latency. I never tried it with super demanding Maschine projects though. Are you experiencing any issues?

3. Dallon426

Dallon426 NI Product Owner

Yeah mine seems to not respond as fast in Cubase as when it is standalone. Hmm

4. D-One

Your DAW is in charge of latency, unless you have latency inducing plugins inside Maschine it shouldn't be an issue.
    Does it happen with every project?

5. WernerR

WernerR NI Product Owner

One question about the integration in common, if you load up Maschine as a VST you essentially have 16 midi channels and 16 audio channels to play with.

What I was wondering if these channels are shared, what I mean by that is if every Maschine VST instance has it's own set of 16 audio/midi channels or do they share them all together ?

6. D-One

Good question never thought about that. I just tested and because you select which Maschine-VST track each MIDI DAW track uses the Channels end up being independent, so using multiple instances is possible.

7. WernerR

WernerR NI Product Owner

Thanks D'1

8. backbeat2

backbeat2 NI Product Owner

You have to turn off ASIO Guard in Cubase!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Zigbert D.

Zigbert D. NI Product Owner

Thanks for this tutorial, I originally found an older one on YouTube, but then saw the link to this 2.6+ updated one. Everything's working great now. Half the problem I was having is that the manual section on setting up MIDI routing doesn't even mention the different source options like default, host, etc., let alone explain what they're for (at least nowhere I could find). Was anyone else able to find this in the manual and get MIDI routing working correctly?

One change I made from the setup of the MIDI tracks in Cubase that you showed. For melodic instruments instead of choosing the Maschine plugin MIDI out as the input for the MIDI track, I chose my keyboard controller MIDI out instead (KK in my case), I couldn't get input from the keyboard otherwise, and would rather have that than input from the Maschine pads for melodic instruments. However, it seems like I will have to switch back to record automation of the parameter knobs from Maschine. Is there another way to do this inside Cubase's settings? The all MIDI inputs option seems to only include input from the hardware ports you have enabled as such in Cubase, not any plugin MIDI out.

10. D-One

No problem Zigbert, glad you found it useful.
    Yes, for Melodic instruments in that specific scenario you do have to change the Input... which is annoying... I haven't found a way around it so I can have both things connected. Here are the workarounds that I know:
    • Duplicate the DAW MIDI track and set it's input to be Maschine for the Automation and the other one for Keyboard.
    • Save the preset inside the Maschine VST, create new MIDI Instrument track loaded with Komplete Kontrol, drop the midi from Maschine to it, load the preset you saved in KK and you now you have full keyboard control. (Playing, recording, Macros, etc..)
    • Keep switching the input depending on what you're doing at the moment.
    None of those solutions are perfect. I wish there was a way to create an input group somehow, would make this so much easier.

11. JayGray

JayGray New Member

It took me a long time to get off my lazy ass and create this particular routing template, and I'm glad I did.

This is a much better workflow that is better on system resources, since I still use Halion Sonic and Sample Tank a lot with all my NI stuff, and those are easier to use within Cubase since Maschine is still terrible with multitimbral VST's.

Frankly, thismay be the best workflow I've ever had. Once I flip my Roland FA06 and add this Yamaha MODX, it's a wrap! *kung-fu kick!*

• Like Like x 3
  12. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

I recently bought Logic so I´m not aware of all it´s functions, yet.
    With my first try, I wasn´t able to route MIDI from Maschine into Logic (except drag & drop).

Does anyone get it working within Logic Pro X (current)???
    Currently, I´m not at my controller to test it....Thx

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  13. D-One

Logic does not support MIDI out from plugins AFAIK... I think its the only popular DAW that doesn't, something to do with AU limitations.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Aah - interesting...
    As I stated, MIDI drag & drop and also audio out is working.

Yesterday, I found this video which questioned the whole MIDI routing...
    But currently I haven’t time to have a deeper look on this to understand what’s going on here

If you don’t want to have that video in your thread, just delete it (mod). ;-)

15. D-One

Drag and drop work's in every DAW AFAIK...
    Maschine basically exports a MIDI file and by dropping it on the DAW you're effectively importing that file, as long as the DAW has MIDI import it will always work. It's the same thing with Audio.

I glanced thru the video, didn't fully watch it with proper attention as it's way too slow paced for me, halfway in I was screaming at the screen for the guy to move along lol (no disrespect to him though) he also starts with everything already setup which is an odd way to explain routing but it seems like it's working. I don't really use Logic so I don't have much to gain by trying to decipher that tutorial... Give it a shot when you have the time.

Nah, no reason to delete, it's informative. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. K-nizm

K-nizm New Member

Is it possible to have more then 16 channels over multiple maschine instances .?
    I have followed your guide (thank you btw)but I have 1 instance for drums(use all 16 sounds),1 for basses( 5sounds),1 for chords(5 sounds)and 1 for leads(5 sounds),etc that’s already 16 channels..so for now I need to assign a channel to multiple sounds etc If I want more.

17. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

You can use 16 channels with every instance

18. D-One

Can you guys see the pictures on the OP? It's returning a 403 forbidden error for me, am I the only one or what?

19. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I can only see the video but the pics are not there. Only cubase setting picture is there.

Uwe

20. D-One

Awww man... It's related to http: instead of https: :(
    Can you check again, please?