[Guide] - Cubase + Maschine MIDI Routing & Integration

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Now it works

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Thanks! :thumbsup:

3. Sandokan

Sandokan New Member

Thanks D-One for this great tutorial!
    You appear very knowlegable about Maschine.
    I recently posted a question in the forum and NI support.
    How to drag and drop patterns from a Kontakt pack (in this case Middle East - Daf - Ayoub)
    These are sequenced loops that play when a note is played the keyboard or written in the pattern piano roll, like C1 in this case.
    Flo@NI responded that it was possible. https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360003926098/comments/360000276838
    I cannot do it, dragging the pattern like in her screen shot, the instrument gets loaded but no pattern shows up, no midi notes?
    Do you know about drag and drop from a Maschine instrument into Maschine?
    Patterns do load when selecting a Maschine Group Kit for example and selecting “ + Patterns “ in the bottom left of Browser.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

It works really well you only expected to load the preview pattern but that's not possible directly. Open the instrument oon one pad then you go to advanced view in kontakt. Then you select a pattern with red/orange keys. Above it says then for example pattern 1 (c1) and right from it is a cross with a dot in the middle and from that you drag then the pattern to a pad you like or just to the same pad where kontakt is loaded.

Uwe

5. Sandokan

Sandokan New Member

I finally figure it out and then saw your response.
    For the life of me I did not know what was that "Cross with the Dot In the Middle" in the Pattern and Sync area in the bottom of the Instrument.
    Now I know that I can click on it and drag it into Maschine or into a Cubase Midi Track and the midi sequence gets copied !!!Big F...ing YAY!
    This can be done from Maschine NI VSTs into a Maschine pattern or from Kontakt VST into Cubase or even from the Maschine NHI VSTs directly into Cubase without even creating a Pattern in Maschine. Neatto1

Thanks UWE and thanks NI for this capability!

6. SYLVER_SECOND

SYLVER_SECOND New Member

Thank you for this great tutorial.

I stumbled over a problem though...

In Cubase 9.5 and MASCHINE 2.7.3 I could play around in Group A, B and C.

I rechecked my settings, watched your video, read everything, read your up-to-date how-to manual and now
    I'm "only" able to use Group A - the group dedicated for samples in Cubase 10 and MASCHINE 2.8.2.

I checked the channels in Cubase and in MASCHINE. Both go from A, B, C1 and C2 from Channel 1 - 4.

No sound comes from there.

Except when I direct all 3 groups like in example for Group B:
    SOUND < Audio < Output < B1:S1 - Bass

I thought Group B should've been Ext. 2 and Group C#1 Ext. 3 and Group C#2 Ext. 4.

What am I missing? Something is off here...

7. D-One

Hello! You're probably missing the "Activate Outputs" button on the Instrument track that has Maschine VST loaded, here:

[​IMG]

Clicking the circle activates an output.

8. hellnegative

hellnegative NI Product Owner

You can also activate the outputs in the VST tab on the right hand side of playlist view in Cubase. This works for Maschine, Groove Agent, and all Elektron Overbridge plugins.

9. SYLVER_SECOND

SYLVER_SECOND New Member

That fixed it. Thank you so much!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. D-One

:D haha no problem! :thumbsup:

11. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

Thanks. I tried your tutorial. Note: For Maschine 2.8.2, the display for Group MIDI input is different. There is not "activate" button. I think you covered it in screen caps.

I notice weird things though. When you work on the Maschine project from within Cubase. Then if you close Cubase. Open Maschine and work on it and change it and save it. Then go back into Cubase and open it up, it is a older version on the project file. You actually to click open recent and open the file and discard the changes within Maschine in Cubase.

12. D-One

Where do I mention an activate button? Can't find it, I was literally starring at the tutorial for 10mins :D

Yeah, that's expected.
    When you use Maschine Plugin inside a DAW the Maschine project is saved inside the DAW's Project. So, if you want to edit the Maschine project in Standalone-app you will then need to load it again inside the Plugin version on the DAW.

13. telecode101

good tutorial but

Thanks for replay and the great tut.

On my install, i dont have this.

upload_2019-4-4_13-12-43.png

14. D-One

Oh.. On the video? Yeah... The video is quite old by now but I am not going to remake a 12min video tutorial for a button that really makes no difference, tutorials this long are really hard to do.
    If eventually something significant changes i'll update it.

• Like Like x 3
  15. telecode101

totally understandable.

16. telecode101

okay. I think I got it all working. Not I need to understand why do I need this and why is it useful?

the reason we do this is because its easier to make midi and mix in Cubase? or are there other benefits?

17. D-One

The benefit is very subjective.
    I like arranging linearly, with a clear view of everything, merge midi, split, copy paste fast, have automation curves and be able to move/cut/copy/paste them, use some plugins that require PDC, sometimes transpose the whole song, use "clips" of different sizes that might just happen at the end of a section, do lots a small unique edits that only happen once without cluttering the workspace with 1000 patterns, record instruments easily, change the tempo, use an advanced piano roll, mute midi, use advanced scale/chord aids, warp points for samples, seriously... the list is endless.

• Like Like x 2
  18. WalterBorn

WalterBorn New Member

Thank you for all of this. Now, is there a way to setup the Maschine "new project" file or other empty templates with different group routings the way that I can build/start new projects with (type/genre) fitting routing without fiddling this on every new idea?

All this fiddling in settings kills my creativity. When I sit down with a musical idea in my head and then have to sit there and do settings beforehand, I easily loose the initial idea.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. telecode101

Fwiw. That's why I work exclusive in machine . And then I am mostly done , then I start exporting to a DAW

20. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I also do it that way I don't like all that hassle and don't want to loose the control from maschine hardware if I use cubase arrnger. Maschine stand alone is great an fast, then export audio and mix in cubase maybe add a little thing or whatever. And that way I can use my maschine as cubase controller without switching back and forth.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1