1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

[Guide] - Cubase + Maschine MIDI Routing & Integration

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Jun 14, 2017.

1. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

Yeah. I find it best that way and I don't lose and creative inspiration by tinkering with little settings for half an hour. Just load up Maschine and start working in ideas view and keep appending and duplicating patterns. Before you know it you have a chunk of 5+ minutes of music.

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Exactly

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

No prob.
    Yes, there is a way, but the full answer is kind of complicated due to users having so many different workflows, this is why I never ended up following up the video with "a way of making a pre-routed project into a template" as I promised, I'll eventually get to it but there's so much to cover it will for sure be an 18min boring video (just like this huge post not many will read).

The easiest trick I know is this:
    After you routed everything save an empty Group in Maschine, turn off "+Routings" on the browser and load the Group you saved in each of your Projects Groups, effectively overwriting them. This will remove all the sounds but preserve the routings.
    After that, you can save the Project as a template and configure Maschine to always load it by default if you wish, or just save the DAW Project containing the Maschine project as a template.

The above has one problem, if you add new Groups you will have to route them, much of the work can be avoided by either Duplicating an existing Routed Group and then just changing the MIDI Channel (to an unused one); or... you can save Pre-Routed empty Groups, load them when needed then change the MIDI Channel.

A final thought is:
    If you're the kind of producer that always uses roughly the same type of Groups, let's say for example, 1 Sample Group, 1 Drum Group, and everything else are instruments then the template method above can work perfectly; if you a more experimental type of user and projects can be very different from each other then templates are no-go...

After you route a bunch projects and get the hang of it you can do it pretty fast, even so, it's still a hassle, for this reason, I work only in Maschine Standalone and only go thru the trouble of routing when I really need to work on a project/song that will be released. The downside is that it's easy to end up with a ton of unfinished unpolished musical sketches and one ends up not practicing fully arranging a song as much as composing.
    To avoid all this most people do as telecode101 and Uwe303 and just export Audio from Maschine to DAW, this works especially well for producers who make music for themselves. I produce for vocalists, so I need the ability to change a sound/sample even late in the arrangement process for several reasons so bouncing to Audio early is a no go for me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  4. WalterBorn

WalterBorn New Member

The most important and probably helpful thing is...practising and practising and practising until routing stops being complicated to be done. So far with your help and another video plus FB Group now I can control any instrument within machine even those who are not loadable in NKI as GrooveAgent5 from Cubase. That enables me to use Maschine much more flexible and integrated------- in Cubase than I thought. Actually I am just starting out with machine and only a few days ago started to explore it. It sat on my desk for almost a year now as I found it very complicated to use.

5. SYLVER_SECOND

SYLVER_SECOND New Member

Either work with your DAW separated or MASCHINE separated like twice mentioned before, or you set all this stuff up.
    Then you save the DAW file of your project and the MASCHINE file. Both in one folder. Name it "Template". When you start
    a new project, just copy from the "Template" folder. It's a heck of a lot of settings, but in the end it is way easier to handle.

6. WalterBorn

WalterBorn New Member

I saved a template in Cubase and meanwhile I think I have this working out the way intended.

• Like Like x 1
  7. countcobolt

countcobolt New Member

Hi all,,

would this option allow me to record the midi when I play a pattern. I want to achieve the following:
    I load a VST instance of Maschine (Cubase)
    I create an additional track for midi and make that listen to the output of Maschine 2.x
    I arm the midi track
    I press record and let a pattern run
    will the result be the actual midi of the pattern (similar to drag 'n dropping the pattern?)

Kind regards

8. D-One

Yes. Maschine sends MIDI to a Cubase track so if's armed it will record what the VST is outputting.

9. countcobolt

countcobolt New Member

thank you very much! Going to buy the update then :)

10. Jakebake

Jakebake NI Product Owner

I'm going to watch the video to set this up but is it still relevant or is only the updated written instructions relevant? I'm new to cubase and maschine (midi in general) and just got cubase 10.5 pro, maschine mk3 and komplet kontrol s61 and komplete 12 ultimate. Making my head spin lol but I'm mostly using them to add different instruments to rock/pop music as I'm.primarily a guitar player so I like the workflow of recording the midi directly into cubase. With watching the jef gibons video I was able to directly record drums from mk3 into cubase although only on one track and control a vst instrument with it as well. I'd like to have each drum pad be on it's own track. I'm also not sure the best way to integrate the s61. If I just have maschine 2 open in cubase than the s61 doesnt work so do I have to have komplete kontrol open as well? I've been able to open kk and control instruments with the s61 easily but I'm just getting confused on when I should be using maschine 2, kontakt or komplete kontrol. Also is there a way to only show the drum kits that work in maschine? Drum kits sbows stuff from battery etc and it doesnt work right in maschine

I also want to be able to use the mk3 with groove agent, addictive drums 2 and the different abbey road kits and battery 4. Is there an easy way to get it setup once and be able to switch between them? I have grooves in ad2 and groove agent as well that itd be nice to just put the midi in and then change different drum sounds .

Im a little over my head so hopefully I'll be able to get it ro work.

11. D-One

It's still relevant only one minor thing changed, Jef also made a version of my video with that tiny change, watch either one... Whichever you find easier to follow. I think the written guide is easier to follow but that's up to you to decide. I dont really recommend this approach for beginners not familiar with MIDI tho, it's a lot to take in.

Maschine specific Kits are under the Group browser library.

The practical way would be using the controller in MIDI Mode... You want a lot of things at the same time, many of them sort of redundant, I would take my time and learn each thing separately...

Start with learning the Maschine plugin, how it works, how kits work and how you will be integrating everything into your workflow, only then move on to trying to control a bunch of other samplers like Baterry, Abbey Roads, Grooveagent etc... Trying to get 15 things to work all at once without knowing the basics is bad ideia... Just a piece of advice.

12. Jakebake

Jakebake NI Product Owner

Yeah you are right. I agree... I'll spend more time just with Maschine the problem is I'd like to use some of the grooves that I have in AD2 or Grooveagent to start with. It would be nice to be able to drop them in after setting up the routing in your video and have them match up. I see now that the groups is just Maschine drums but for some reason I only see Abbey Road kits 50 through 70s and the vintage kit but not the modern one? Makes me wonder if I am missing others as well after installing Komplete 12 upgrade. I also have duplicates of some because I had Komplete select then upgraded to Komplete and than to Ultimate. Is there a way to get rid of duplicates?

With a combo of your video and Jef's I was able to make seperate tracks for the drums however I made a drum group and a bass group when following along to your video but I can't figure out how to keep the same instance of Maschine 2 but route the bass to midi channel 2. If I activate an input for the bass if I change any of those channels it changes all of them. You also show routing each drum pad to their own track and then later in the video it looks like you just have one main drum track.

Getting closer...

13. f.Lucas

f.Lucas NI Product Owner

Hello,

I have a problem with group C with several instruments.
    When I put "channel" on All the son of the group are superimposed while when I put "Channel" on 1 or 2 or other I do not have this problem anymore. is it a software error or my software?

Thank you

ps: I'm French thx Google Trad ^^'

14. Patient-0

Patient-0 New Member

Hi All,

First, thanks D-one for your great work !

I followed the steps and everything works fine however I'm stuck with Groups using loops.

Let me explain:

If I create a Group and insert a drum loop (eg on Pad 1). I set everything as described in the guide.
    In Maschine I switch to a blank scene to insure that Cubase doesn't play the loop in Maschine VST when I press Play in the transport Bar.

In my Cubase midi track, I create a new midi clip and enter a note manually.
    If I press a note in the piano roll (c3 or even another note), or if play directly from My midi Keyboard or from the Maschine PAD , it plays/triggered the loop but if I play the midi clip, the loop is not triggered as if the note was simply ignored...very frustrating !

The problem doesn't occur with Group using a drum kit (or an instrument). The notes in the midi clip plays/triggers all the elements of my drum kit as expected.

It seems that Maschine doesn't handle the Loops the same way as it does with Drum kits.

Maybe I missed something. Can you help ?

Thank you :)

15. D-One

Not sure I understand what you're saying, that auto-translation sounds strange, try asking in french and maybe someone can translate it better.
    If you use "All" in the Group MIDI Input you have to make sure each instrument inside the group has a specific Channel or they will all play at the same time.

Hi! No problem.
    You're using the Audio Plugin, right?
    Yes, Maschine handles loops differently from everything else, triggering the loop on/off in Loop "Playback" mode is only possible from within Maschine AFAIK.

You want the loop to only play when a note is held down and for it to stop when there's no note? If that's what you want you need to enable "Gate" Playback mode in the Audio Module. The setup process is the same as a Drum Group (A1 example), a C3 will let the loop play.
    The thing is the Pattern in Maschine has to have a length size that accommodates for the loop because it's always looping in the background and when a note is received it just "turns it on", it doesn't retrigger the loop from the start, so there are compromises...

If you want to use different notes to change the Pitch of the loop then you have to set it up like an Instrument (B1 or C1 examples.) instead of drums/samples (A1).

16. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

Hey D-one.

So in this setup, how are you handling the mix section within Machine? Do you reset all the panning for samples to center and vols at 0 and let Cubase control it?

17. D-One

Hey telecode101. I since moved away from Cubase and do this in Live.

It depends but usually no, that would mean throwing a lot of work away and restarting the whole leveling/panning process again.
    Generally, my maschine projects are already close to the final mix so I just readjust machine's part from the controller, as far as leveling and panning go Maschine is pretty fast; so... I sort of end up with 2 sub-mixes in the same project if you will.

If I was to have this integration method as an empty template and already start composing with Maschine Plugin + Cubase from the jump then i would probably only mix in Cubase.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Patient-0

Patient-0 New Member

Thank you D-One ! Once gain you saved my day and my entire exprience with Maschine within Cubase :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. D-One

:D:thumbsup:

20. Patient-0

Patient-0 New Member

Hello,

Me again.
    What about Maschine VST automation in Cubase 10 ?
    Is there an existing M_MK3 template I need to use or something I have to setup in Cubase 10 Pro ?
    Nothing happens when I turn the M-MK3 8 buttons (eg the filter when controlling a soft synth), nothing moves in the quick control section as if no midi CC was sent to cubase
    Automation writing / quick control work perfectly with any other VST .

I didn't find anything useful on the net, I guess I've missed something.

Thank you.