[Guide] Custom User Group "Expansions" with thumbnails.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Mar 15, 2018.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

GUIDE - How to add thumbnail images to Machine User Groups & Sounds.

[​IMG]
    Think of it like making your own custom User Expansion / Maschine Library, this guide bypasses the current limitation that only allow us to have Images for One Shots and Loops by creating/editing the product name, something NI doesn't allow.
    (the script can do a lot more but for the sake of simplicity i'll focus on User Groups/Sounds only)

Preview:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Important notes:
    • This is an unofficial method and therefore not supported by Native Instruments, follow it at you own risk and make sure to backup your files in case anything goes wrong.
    • This guide is for Mac OS (If someone out more knowledge about python and windows can manage to get it working please report and i'll add it to the guide)

[​IMG]

Creating the thumbnail images for your custom User Expansion.

*This process is the same currently used for custom Sample Images, if you already know how to do it skip this chapter.

1 - Download this template and unzip it.
    2 - Rename the ni-image-template folder to the desired User Expansion name. (Use normal characters and lowercase only!)
    3 - Replace all the images inside the folder with your own using photoshop or any other image manipulation software.
    4 - Open the chicken.meta file with a Text Editor and replace “Chicken” by the name you have chosen in Step 2.
    5 - Re-name the chicken.meta file to the name you have chosen in Step 2. (example: myexpansion.meta)
    6 - Move the folder to:
    • MAC - /users/shared/ni resources/image folder
    • PC - C:\Users\Public\Documents\NI Resources\image folder
    The folder name and expansion name must be the same, for more info go here.

[​IMG]

Modify your files so they are displayed under your custom image in the User browser.

This guide requires NimBank Tool (Created by Denivel). A Python script that allows mass injection/modification of the Author, Vendor, Comment, Product name, Bank name & Sub-Bank for Machine Groups (.mxgrp), Maschine Sounds (.mxsnd) and Massive Files (.nmsv), there's no GUI so get ready to use a command line.

For the sake of simplicity, we will focus on Product Name, because that's what necessary to modify in order to have custom User Expansions.
    I advise copying a few Groups & Sounds to a temporary folder and use that folder as an experiment before attempting this on your real files.
    • 1 - Prepare your custom Expansion folder (it can contain Maschine Sounds, Groups, Samples, Massive presets and have subfolders)
    • 2 - Download NimBank 1.9 here and unzip it. (EDIT: Version 2.5 is now available HERE)
    • 3 - Open Terminal type "cd" (without quotes) drop the folder where NiMBank-v1.9.py is located and hit enter. This will tell the terminal to open the location of the script.
    [​IMG]
    • 4 - Type "python NiMBank-v1.9.py" (without quotes) add a space followed by: -p “Name-of-your-expansion" (with quotes!)
    • 5 - Drop the folder containing your custom Expansion from Step-1 in the Terminal and add "/*" (without quotes) at the end of the path.
    • 6 - Add a space and "-r" (without quotes) if also want to modify the subfolders.
    It should look like this:
    [​IMG]
    (I named my custom User Expansion as test, the colors are just the describe what we are doing)
    7 - Open Maschine > Preferences > Library > User add the folder that contains your modified files and press the Rescan button.
    All done, your picture should be showing up in the Browser.

[​IMG]

NimBank Tool can do other cool stuff like creating sub groups for your custom libraries, mass move content based on the Bank name, rename Massive Filenames with the name of Massive presets, etc, etc... For more information go to the creator's website:
    http://denivel.blogspot.pt/2016/08/how-to-use-nimbank-tool-script.html
    http://denivel.blogspot.pt/2016/07/add-bank-sub-bank-2-maschine-massive.html

http://denivel.blogspot.com/2018/03/new-release-for-nimbank-tool-in-v2.html

I often see users claiming to be developers here in the forum, if someone could make a GUI for this it would be cool.

Happy hacking! :cool::D;):thumbsup:
    _____

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 5
  2. D-One

- Reserved. -

3. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

Dude, you are a hero.

This will smooth over my OCD for the time being lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. D-One

:)
    The only reason I did this was to have a chicken on my hardware, I love chicken.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Waah, so great ! Will try tomorrow for sure !

• Like Like x 1
  6. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

I have tried it in windows 7.
    But it does not go well in one way or another.
    Have the original steps followed, but get a syntax error in the terminal.

The test directory contains a copy of an existing NI content.

Here a screendump of the Python terminal.

(actually I'm too old for this kind of things (62) :p :confused:

Attached Files:

7. D-One

I think you need to remove the /* at the end, on windows it should be what\ever\path\*, also why is the path in quotes? Is that done automatically when estou drag the folders to the command prompt?

8. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Sh*t, does not work here. I'm on Mac too, but strangely, contrary as what your screenshot shows, a backslash is added in Terminal when I drop the Maschine content folder ( mypath/Downloads/Roland\ CR8000 /* -r )

Also, at the end of the last path typed in Terminal (of your last picture), we must type Enter ?

Last, I see all folders in the NI Resources/image are lowercase, mine is uppercase :-/

9. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

Yes the quotes are placed automatically. But I had already removed that manually. I'm going to try again later this evening.

René

10. D-One

That backlash is added because in terminal paths cannot contain spaces, basically, in terminal language " \" equals a space, and there should be no space in the end before /*
    Yes, you must type ender to execute the command.
    For you the command should be:
    Code:
    python NiMBank-v1.9.py -p "name" mypath/Downloads/Roland\ CR8000/* -r

I don't think the folder can have uppercase names, rename it to lowercase.

11. D-One

I tried it on windows and couldn't get it to work either. The author says "the script has not been tested in Windows" :( I added info to the guide stating that it's for Mac only...
    There might be a way but I'm not really a dev or a pro windows user to figure out how.

12. Frank P.

Frank P. NI Product Owner

very cool. I will try this.
    i hope this helps me also to organize all my user sounds to one image/category and they are no longer mixed with the 1000s 3rd party nks like omnisphere.

13. Frank P.

D-One, does this also works with "Instruments"? You mentioned only groups, sounds and samples.

14. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

:(:(:(:(:(:(

15. D-One

Nop. Only Sounds, Groups and Massive presets... Samples don't need a script it was already possible.

16. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Frank P.

with massive presets you mean massive "instruments"
    yes?

18. D-One

With Massive presets I mean presets saved from Massive itself. Maschine can browse them but they are Massive files (as opposed to right clicking a Sound and Saving it, that would make it a Maschine Sound.)
    In the browser's Instruments Tab the picture/thumbnail is always the Main product name and we just modify the Bank.
    To change Massive presets we must use the script with -b as that's for changing the Bank, the product will always be "Massive"
    Example:
    Code:
    python NiMBank-v1.9.py -b "massive chickens" /Users/hackintosh/Downloads/NimBank/TEST/*

Results in this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  19. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

once you type enter do you get any specific message to confirm it worked ? tried few time, can't get it to work (on Mac)

20. D-One

No, there's no confirmation message, however, if there's no error it should be doing what it's supposed to. You can perform this command to check:
    Code:
    NiMBank-v1.9.py -l /Users/hackintosh/Downloads/NimBank/TEST/*

(change the path to be the path to where your custom samples are)

-L makes a list of all the files in your folder and displays their information, so you can check if the files were modified or not.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018