1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

[GUIDE] Maschine MK3 + Ableton Live - Transport (Play/Stop/Etc..)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Oct 18, 2018.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

This will be sort of a follow up to this thread.

There doesn't seem to be any official info or article with instructions on how to make the Transport Buttons on the MK3 (Play / Stop / Loop / Foward / Back) work in Ableton Live while the MK3 is controlling Maschine Software Plugin so I decided to make a custom Live Remote Script. This can be helpful for anyone not familiar with custom MIDI Mapping and has the advantage of working for previously created Live Projects.

(Works great here, let me know if it works for you guys.)

Download the Custom Remote Script here.
    Installation instructions:
    1 - Make sure Ableton is not running.
    2 - Extract the contents of the Zip File, select the extracted folder named "maschine_mk3_transport" and copy (CMD+C)
    3 - Open your Applications folder and right-click the Live application symbol. In the context menu, click on Show Package Contents.
    [​IMG]
    4 - In the Ableton Live package, navigate to Contents > App-Resources > MIDI Remote Scripts.
    5 - Paste the folder "maschine_mk3_transport" extracted in step #2 (CMD+V)
    1 - Make sure Ableton is not running.
    2 - Extract the contents of the Zip File, select the extracted folder named "maschine_mk3_transport" and copy (CTRL+C)
    3 - Go to the MIDI Remote Scripts folder in Ableton Live's installation directory. By default, it is located here: C: > ProgramData > Ableton > Live 9 / 10 > Resources > MIDI Remote Scripts.
    4 - Paste the folder "maschine_mk3_transport" extracted in step #2 (CTRL+V)

Configure Ableton Live to use the Custom Remote Script:
    1 - Open Ableton Live's Preferences and go to the Link MIDI Tab.
    2 - Assign a free Control Surface slot to "maschine MK3 transport" by selecting it from the drop-down list.

3 - Select Maschine MK3 Virtual Input on the MIDI Input tab and Maschine MK3 Virtual Output on the MIDI Output tab.
    (Under windows I have no idea what the Virtual MIDI port name is or if Maschine auto installs one by default or not, you may need to use an external Virtual MIDI app)
    [​IMG]

Controller Editor:

1. Open the app, from the factory templates load "MCU Transport" and make sure it's selected.
    2. Enable Host Transport Control and close the App.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully, that works.
    [​IMG]

If for some reason anyone needs a remote script with custom CC values to work along-side their own CE templates just let me know.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. lucaluca

lucaluca NI Product Owner

Well, on behalf of Live and MK3 owners ( which i’m not at the moment) Thanks for the sharing.

If I had an MK3 I would love to have it, your script i meant.

Really cool!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Losing the ERASE button makes me feel sick... :oops:
    Got a custom remote script to fix that?

Do none of the Mackie control surface options work with Live & Mk3?

4. D-One

+1. If I can do it, do I get a prize?

I think Mackie stuff works but requires MIDI Mode.

5. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Yes. Being able to use Host Transport Control without losing the ERASE button.

Aye, it certainly should do. By using the MCU CE template, do the transport buttons not send MCU messages? Or do they still just send CCs?

6. D-One

-.- Even if there were a prize that's beyond my minor text editing skills, I think that would require messing with the firmware, driver or snooping around inside CE files... not sure.

They just send CC's if im not mistaken. I included the MCU CE template in the process just for a CC reference that everyone already has to simplify things.

7. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

This is much appreciated, but NI should get off its ass and make a template for the Mikro Mk3 that will trigger clips, etc....
    In the meantime I'll just have to keep lugging my APC40 Mk2 along with the Mk3....

8. D-One

Mikro? The big Mk3 brother still doesn't have that let alone the Mikro... :(:confused:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  9. RobertSC

RobertSC New Member

Thanks, I've tried it out. But how is this different than using the Mackie template as described here. It really seems to work the same for me.

10. D-One

The difference is you have to switch the controller to MIDI Mode for that to work, losing control of Maschine Software Plug. (At least on an MK3, on previous models that article works for both MIDI Mode and Maschine-Mode if I remember correctly)
    Or you need to manually map the buttons in Live, which you have to do in all projects.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  11. KHz4HGP

KHz4HGP NI Product Owner

does this work for the MkII controller?

12. D-One

The Mk2 has working templates AFAIk.

13. KHz4HGP

KHz4HGP NI Product Owner

thanks for the assist. i dug around on YT and found this...

14. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to work in Live 10, and I think I can also pinpoint the cause of that *:

upload_2019-11-8_20-24-51.png

See, Live doesn't recognize the Maschine as a controller it only picks up its MIDI interface but not the Maschine itself. Because of that I can easily select the MIDI remote script (as seen above) but it won't 'do' anything because I'm unable to specify what input and/or output it should use, and the input is essential for this to work.

For the record: I've used the Controller Editor to add the MCU Transport template and I've also enabled host transport control. Unfortunately to no avail, as such I'm mostly relying on MIDI mode for this to work.

(edit):

* This conclusion is actually wrong, and I conclude as much based on my findings in this thread (in specific my post here). The standard way in which NI does it is also to provide a MIDI control script without setting the input or output devices. And that simply worked for me.

So the problem I'm facing in this thread is caused by something else.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  15. D-One

Then you have a bigger unrelated issue, your MK3 virtual port is not showing...
    The Mk3 Virtual port looks different in windows, afaik Bome installs the virtual MIDI Port driver people sometimes uninstall it not knowing what it's for, it should be there, none of those named "EXT MIDI" and "Ctrl MIDI" work?

Your giving up a bit too soon bro :D

16. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

Who says I'm giving up? :p

I'm going to make this work one way or the other, even though I don't really need it but heck: it's a challenge! That Controller editor is one heck of an impressive tool and since I have charts (somewhere) which showcase all the control signals Live responds to I might even manage to come up with a tweak myself.

But still: if you follow your instructions on Live 10 then that won't give direct results.

First things first though... My Komplete Audio 6 arrived this evening and as I expected it's the bigger version of the Maschine audio interface, and it's sweet. Got a stereo mic setup hooked up in combination with the line-out from my Casio keyboard and I can tell you; it's something else indeed (Maschine can use line-in or the (mono) mic, not both). Of course there's a small limitation to overcome here as well (in 1-2 or in 3-4) but that's what a sequencer is for ;) (edit): Skip that, I got 3 input signals after all, this is impressive! (maybe I should read the manual :D).

17. D-One

I'll try it in windows tomorrow and let you know what's going on.

• Like Like x 1
  18. D-One

Live doesn't have to "recognize it as a controller", you just tell it what script and what MIDI port to use.
    Just tried it in Windows 10 and it worked fine using the "Maschine MK3 EXT MIDI" port, you must have messed something up in the settings, try both ports.

Here, unlisted video:

(vertical video so it both my secondary screen and the controller is in frame)

Make sure the "Track" and "Remote" are active in Live's preferences.
    In Controller Editor make sure "Host Transport Control" is active and you have the "MCU Transport" template selected.
    (Think of the template as a background layer that only matters for the transport buttons)

[​IMG]

Attached Files: