Guitar Rig 3 as audio interface.. how good is it?

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by alvarog, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acidbahia

acidbahia Forum Member

Hi,
    I wanted to test higher sample rates like 96000, but strangely enough the audio quality gets worse..I'm using GR3, RK2 and Leopard on OSX..
    Any idea why? Mistery..
    Thanks!

2. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

I play at 44.1 16bit.

3. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Sure, as the sample rate goes up, it makes your computer work more than 2x as hard, so the latency would have gotten the better of your system.

4. Dave23

Dave23 Forum Member

Hi Jday-I was wondering the same thing,but I can't seem to run the higher sample rates-I just get the little red"over" in the CPU meter.Hence all the questions here re latency/sample rates-I've got the most powerfull MBP Apple make,the most recent NI software/hardware-and I don't seem to be getting the performance other user are hinting at.AlexV kindly supplied a missing piece of the puzzle,telling me he only uses RK for midi control,not audio.I'm going to give this a try.
    ..I'm sure Xmas will come soon-looking up skirts is sure to make time fly! Regards.

5. Jday

Jday NI Product Owner

"I don't seem to be getting the performance other user are hinting at.AlexV kindly supplied a missing piece of the puzzle,telling me he only uses RK for midi control,not audio.I'm going to give this a try."

I am not really sure what you mean by using it only for midi control, here?

Is he then using some other audio interface?

6. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Yes, that's what he meant.

7. Dave23

Dave23 Forum Member

Exactly.Just using RK to control GR,not process the audio.Maybe my old audio interface has some life in it still.I got better performance from it-Emagic6/2.

8. AlexV

AlexV NI Product Owner

Yep, lately I´ve been using the M-Audio Firewire Solo, or actually not playing very much, as I haven´t had the time in this pre-Christmas rush...

But I´ll give the latency a try once I have the GR2, a guitar and the RK2 all in the same place, which will probably happen some time past the holidays... :)

9. AlexV

AlexV NI Product Owner

Now I have tested things a little more with RK2. I´m able to get 11 ms of latency at 44,1. But I´m not quite sure if it will be stable over time, so I put it at 13 ms. For some reason it won`t stop at 12...

Now I can`t get my Firewire Solo to work, probably after the OS 10.4.11 upgrade, as M-Audio only has downable drivers up to 10.4.10... Should really get something more from a pro line... :-S

10. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Yeah, I've seen the latency skip a number as well... Not sure what to make of it, but it's all good.

Have you repaired permissions?

11. AlexV

AlexV NI Product Owner

Please tell me, as a Mac USER not a Mac EXPERT, about permissions. :)

12. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Simply, they are something that can go wrong on a Mac. How's that for simple? Go to Utilities > Disk Utilities and click on "Repair Permissions". It's a UNIX thing, and it's a first place to go when you troubleshoot.

M

13. AlexV

AlexV NI Product Owner

If anybody knows Steve Jobs personally, please ask him why, when the Mac clearly allready knows something is wrong, as it sees where to look and fix when you tell it to, this can´t be made to fix itself. :-D

Thanks, Marc. I´ll try it when I am in the proximity of my M-Audio soundcard, and report back to you guys on the latency, if it beats RK2!

14. JayT

JayT NI Product Owner

I use my RK2 on my Core Duo 2.16 machine at 11ms latency.

I've never once had a problem with it.

15. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

I guess in the end, what I'm trying to say is that I don't care about latency, I care about sound quality and control.

16. vitala

vitala NI Product Owner

Gr3+rk2

Hi!
    I use GR3 with rig kontrol 2 onstage with 4 ms overal latency(as far as i remember it is 1 ms usb buffer and 4 ms audio buffer) at 44,1 and 3 ms at home.I use oldest driver for RK2 because when i upgraded to 1.6.4 it showed 6 or 8 ms on the same settings(1ms -usb and 4 ms -audio)-strange...
    Toshiba laptop 1,8 Gh ,1 G RAM,winXP
    Guitar Rig 3 standalone with Rig Kontrol 2(Hi-Q turned off)
    I have Presonus Firebox firewire soundcart at home but never take it to the gig-latency is almost the same as with RK2,no sense for me...
    I'm happy)
    Thanks to NI
    looking forward for GR3 update.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  17. nutrapuppy

nutrapuppy NI Product Owner

Why Latency is an issue

First of all, thanks everyone for input. I have enjoyed and learned a lot in this thread.

So Marc, I am surprised that 10 ms doesn't bug you, but OK. So when does it start causing you problems? 15 ms? 30 ms?

I am on the fence about my current setup. I just rigged it a few days ago and it isn't really moving me. I have a 2.8 ghz laptop running Guitar Rig with an original Kore controller for interface. It doesn't sound very good, there is a digital whine coming from the Kore outputs. It may be some setup issue I have not resolved. I have my fingers crossed.
    Anyway, I have 6 ms latency right now. Then that signal goes into an RME HDSP on my main DAW. That also has a bit of latency, though I can direct-monitor the signal.

What I find is that every ms of latency changes the way I feel the notes and therefore changes the way I play them. If you multitrack as I do, you end up with layers that are a bit smeared in time. Most people do not notice, but when you do, it is hard not to notice. This is true of so much in audio production. It doesn't bug you...until it bugs you, and then it is usually too late.

Anyway...I am not so impressed with the Kore so far so maybe the RK3 is my next NI expense as well.

18. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

The latency of the Roland GR-50 bugged me, not sure how long it was, but it wasn't "pretty"

19. AronJ

AronJ New Member

I have got a macbook (13,3" Apple Macbook 2,0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS 10.4.11, 1 GB ram).
    guitar rig 3 would be a possibility for me to record my guitar sounds and to use it on stage to change the guitar sound with effects.

my question:
    is the guitar rig 3 and my macbook a good solution for my aims?
    what about latency?
    GR3 better than the Firebox of PreSonus?

Thanks a lot for your answer

20. ZKB

ZKB New Member

I'm not sure about the RK3, but I use the RK2 and I'm very happy with it. The quality of the recording is amazing, and I can only imagine what the RK3 is like, besides better of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.