Older hardware not supported on new OS

Aquamotorboogie
Aquamotorboogie Member Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Just having a think about it / getting off my chest.

Kontrol X1 / S4 controller / Maschine MK1/ Audio Kontrol 1, no longer supported to work on my current Mac OS. All now in the scrapper.

Ok so I'm now using Kontrol keys / Maschine Mk 3 and plenty other stuff to keep me rollin',but it just occurred to me. the NI gear I now use will shortly be useless too ? what a load of cash gone to waste ?

That's a grand already plus the price of the next (maybe not) upgrade ! I'd have happily bunged the NI tech dept' 500 quid to keep my old stuff running.......... better than losing a grand.

Or is there some kind of user 'Hack' I haven't heard of ?

Tagged:

Comments

• gummi
    gummi Member Posts: 17 Helper
    edited January 2022

I feel you! After my computer upgrade half of my gear became useless (Maschine mk1, 2xX1 mk1, Audio8DJ) which is a shame since everything is still working.

• TeLLy
    TeLLy Member Posts: 71 Advisor

If you're still on the Intel architecture on your Mac it's still doable. I've got a Rig Kontrol 3, Maschine MK1, and Kontrol X1 MK1 running on an i7 MBP on the latest Monterey beta, using these instructions:

Maschine MK1 working with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur (Intel Macs) | Page 2 | NI Community Forum (native-instruments.com)

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod

The problem is that Apple has removed the 32-bit support for software and hardware.

There are no user hacks, unless NI open source it, any user won't be able to write 64-bit drivers.

• TeLLy
    TeLLy Member Posts: 71 Advisor

It's not pretty, it's not supported, but it seems to run pretty smoothly for me with the hack I posted above (credit to original poster). Again, X1MK1, Rig Kontrol3, and Maschine MK1 in MIDI mode are currently running for me on my 2017 i7 Macbook Pro, with the latest Monterey public beta and Traktor official release. Have to give NI credit for these old clunkers still running stably once hacked.

• Aquamotorboogie
    Aquamotorboogie Member Posts: 4 Member

Here we are then,7 months on. I'm now using an M1 MAX fully loaded with an apple studio screen. Moved away from NI gear now as nothing new or innovative has come along. Seems like a move toward the home hobby/studios with sample & preset packs for collectors now (much like people used to collect vinyl and football cards).

Any ways......I took my old i7, wiped it clean and installed a real old OS with just Traktor (and Recycle too). It sits on the side and is used specifically for Traktor recordings and sample creation. Result and I'm happy with that !

I've also put massive X / Maschine 2 / FM8 / Absynth stand-alone's on there as bit of 'play time' nostalgia.I do love using my NI gear, but we all have to move on. It would be nice to see some future proof equipment and software from them. Instruments and gear please not endless sound packs.I mean how is it when the likes of little Cherry Audio can roll out cool gear that works, NI still can't sort there stuff for the latest apple platform a year on ? (the post will probably get me blacklisted, resulting in no 10% discount offers on somebodies latest sample pack)

Don't take it too seriously NI, just provoking you to take a look in the mirror !)

• mesika
    mesika Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

The solution will be if NI will open source the old drivers.