Guitar Rig 6 & Rig Kontrol 3

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by Dadokan, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Dadokan

Dadokan New Member

Hello,

I've upgraded to Guitar Rig 6 (GR6) because my GR4 was not longer supported for an installation on macOS Catalina.
    Now I've figured our that I can't use my Rig Kontrol 3 (RK3) anymore with GR6.

Questions:
    1. Which other hardware similar to RK3 is supported by GR6? I need to step through my presets, switch On/Off effect and use the pedal. Freely configurable like with RK3?

2. Is there any chance to downgrade from GR6 to GR5? Would solve most of my issues on macOS Catalina.

Thanks in advance and best,
    Chris

2. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

#2. See if someone is selling a GR5 license.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Dadokan

Dadokan New Member

That was not my intention after I spend already money for the update. Any suggestion from #1?
    Also, how can I reach the support?

4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

1. You could try with something like Behringer FCB1010.

5. daverlee

daverlee NI Product Owner

you ought to be able to use RK3 as a generic midi controller using control editor, then midi learn everything you want to map

6. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

Yes you should, but when opening GR6, RK goes into Native mode which disables midi functionality and since the Native control was removed from GR6 the RK is non-functional. And upon exiting GR6 the midi functionality of RK is disabled.
    Also, the current Version of controller editor does not support RK, so if you have any current hardware, you would need to uninstall CE, install the last compatible version, make any changes, then reinstall the current version... basically a big PITA...so I stick with GR5 for the time being...

• Like Like x 2
  7. EvilDragon

You don't need to uninstall current CE version. You can just copy the executable of CE 1.7.4, rename it, and have it side by side with latest one. Works. :)

8. andrezuppe

andrezuppe NI Product Owner

Hi Evil..... but..... is there a chance that NI will reintroduce a backward compatibility for us, customers, that has bought RK3 and proudly still own it and want to continue use it with GR6? After all, it's a great piece of hardawre and it's a PITY to leave it unused (I am on OSX, and it doesen't work anymore)

• Like Like x 4
  9. EvilDragon

I doubt it, discontinued products get no support. RK3 was discontinued in 2013.

I am hoping, though, that GR6 will be updated so that it doesn't force RK3 into native mode, so that it can at least be used in MIDI mode.

10. Jeremy @ NI

Jeremy @ NI Support Team NI Team

Hey Dadokan,
    Please get in touch here, let's see what we can do for you :
    https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/sections/360000092817

11. Ewan Reid

Ewan Reid NI Product Owner

I'm in the same boat, have RK3 and would love to use it for GR6. Firstly, I don't want to shell out £££ on another midi controller and secondly from an environmental standpoint I'd rather not retire the RK3 (Sonos upgrade backlash anyone).

• Like Like x 4
  12. legfly

legfly New Member

Rig Kontrol compatibility is a must if I'm going to consider upgrading. Seems like such a waste. And how the heck am I going to make use of the expression effects - finger-tapping while moving a mouse??

• Like Like x 4
  13. EvilDragon

Compability with native Rig Kontrol operation like in GR5 is not coming back, you can forget about it. But it should be fixed to work properly in MIDI mode, at the very least.

14. Jeremy @ NI

Rig Kontrol 3 will not be supported. Please keep in mind that you can still use Rig Kontrol 3 in MIDI mode with Guitar RIg 6 within a DAW. You would need to install Controller Editor 1.7.4 (that we can provide). This workaround is not yet possible with Guitar Rig 6 in standalone but it's been worked on.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  15. EvilDragon

Actually CE 1.7.4 is the latest version that will still work :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Jeremy @ NI

:) thanks for the precision, I'll update my post then.

17. Steve B

Steve B New Member

Signed up just to give some feedback to NI team. We are guitarists...we need both hands free... we wait nine years for an upgrade to Guitar Rig and you remove the ability to use your own hardware controller...the mighty Rig Kontrol 3...the reason I have stuck with Guitar Rig and not moved to Bias FX or other modellers is because I can quickly fire up GR5 in standalone (no messing with DAW. midi cables) and get a great tone with hands free control of tape deck, volume, overdrive, delays etc. etc.without any fuss. Not to mention the great looper....now sadly all of this has gone. What a backward step, and the new visual feel looks like it's on a mobile....such a shame, great tones but not usable without lots of fuss....

• Like Like x 8
  18. Dadokan

Dadokan New Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steve B

Steve B New Member

Yes NI, 'can we please not use your latest version as it has removed functionality we all use'....don't advise me to spend over $300 AUD on another companies midi controller when I already own your hardware controller (Rig Kontrol 3 works fine discontinued or not)....don't you want to sell copies of GR6? If so just add support for Rig Kontrol 3..something that is there in every other version.....

• Like Like x 6
  20. Elias Theuring

Elias Theuring New Member

Hi, I'm new here. Nice to be there.
    I have now also upgraded from GR5 to GR6.
    The presets and components are very nice. But there are some functions missing that were in GR5.
    Starting with the implementation of the Rig Control (RK).
    I can understand the developers when they say that the Rig Kontrol is no longer supported, but for us users it would be nice to have if there were instructions, because it works to use the RK as a controller. As already described here, version 1.7.4 of the controller editor driver must be installed. If the Controller Editor and GR6 are started in the correct order, the RK is immediately connected and you can work with it. I wrote a batch file for this that starts both programs. (see attachments) It only works Windows in my case. If you use Apple, you have to write something yourself. I then added a shortcut for the batch file in my Windows Start menu. It would of course be much nicer if NI would publish a new version of the RK, which would then be properly supported again and could be correctly implemented in GR6.
    But so that GR6 could then also be used live, some things still have to be implemented that GR5 could already do:
    1. There is no longer any possibility to switch to a full screen. In GR5 you had to press F4
    2. There is no longer any way to switch to Live View. In GR5 you had to press F1. Then, when the virtual RC was switched on (F3), a much larger representation could be seen.
    So there should be the function key connection again, which switches the macros in GR6 on and off.
    3. Some functions are missing in the macros.
    - There is no longer any hold mode. The metronome TAP cannot be used properly if the macro is set to button mode.
    - The Tag Selections and Preset Selections have disappeared. You can lern in a midi button for Next and Preview Preset, but it would be nicer if it also worked with the macros.
    - The rack functions have also disappeared.
    - An nice to have would be great. A connection between Markos and input selector (left input, right input, or both). There was no such thing in GR5 either. But it would be cool. So you could finally use several guitars and switch between guitars using a macro.
    4. The manual for GR6 should be available in several languages (English, German, French, etc.) and everything should really be described, not just the new user interface and the components. At the moment it is not a manual, but a what's new document.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1