1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Guitar Rig 6 & Rig Kontrol 3

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by Dadokan, Oct 13, 2020.

1. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Well-Known Member

RK3 can still work with GR6, both as audio interface and MIDI control. The only thing not working is bidirectional communication between the two.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PaulCan

PaulCan New Member

Eh? So you mean if I click on the screen, the light won't go on on the pedal? Or if I click on the pedal, it won't show on the screen? Not sure what "bidirectional communication" means in this case.

3. EvilDragon

Yep that's exactly the case. The communication with MIDI is only one way: you do something on RK3 (press a button, adjust the pedal), it goes to GR6 but when you load another patch in GR6 the state of LEDs below buttons doesn't update etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PaulCan

PaulCan New Member

Thanks for the clarification, might be a slight problem during a gig as I don't tend to look at the screen unless tuning, but at least it's not as bad as I first thought.

Seems like such a simple thing to implement with very little programming overhead but from what you say... unsupported means unsupported. You know how people love using the kit they love - perhaps why vintage guitars & amps still go for a small fortune (as some have said on here the Ebay price of an RK3 seems to be going up).

Thanks again, (not so Evil after all - although "NIceHelpfulDragon" doesn't have the same ring to it).

5. blindstar

blindstar New Member

Hi Jeremy. Is there news on this? I am a GR user since its version 2 in standalone format. I just upgraded to GR6 and I realize that I cannot use it with RK 3 in standalone. I appreciate your information.

6. EvilDragon

RK3 now works with GR6 in MIDI mode.

7. blindstar

blindstar New Member

YEEEEAAAHHHH....!!!!!
    I don't know what I did or what happened, but today I connected RK3 and GR6 recognized it. Of course, in toggle knob mode, if I use it in button mode I have to operate the switch 2 times. That, thanx ...

8. WillH5080

WillH5080 New Member

Hey! I'm gonna buy Epiphone ENSLEBCH1 (these one ). Can anyone recommend me a rig version for it?

9. Niko Jago

Niko Jago New Member

Suggestions to fellow players, just move on and let the passive-aggressive types in NI talk to themselves. Let them learn. Why bother and making it work if it's not natively supported as in GR5
    Here, if the company owners gave devs the power to decide on where the products go instead of marketing/market research/product managers,... let them learn their lessons.
    Selling GR6 to RK/3 owners would have been the easiest conversion ever plus word of mouth for brand awareness.
    Since there's interest just white labeling a good enough product, or repackaging some other NI hardware to fit this use would help the brand and initial sales.
    Company is only good as their marketing and product managers are (here not recognizing devs that in a role of software product managers - they shouldn't have any say in product features or marketing decisions, just in execution as supervisor of devs making the software).
    Devs are just blue collar workers.. They have no understanding of what a product or marketing is.

10. backbeat2

backbeat2 NI Product Owner

Would be great to have RK3 function bidirectional back....

11. EvilDragon

It's extremely unlikely.

12. backbeat2

backbeat2 NI Product Owner

Maybe one programmer at NI who has a Rig Control 3 by himself is able to do that alone.
    I remember a programmer at steinberg who wrote a driver for the Midex 8 interface himself and made a lot of customers happy....

I must be fair to say that I am happy that Native has done the driver for the old kore 1 controller to use it under 64Bit windows these days !

13. Wouter De Muynck

Wouter De Muynck New Member

After installing the controller software (1.7.4) and the RK3 drivers, I got the RK3 to start-up in MIDI-mode, but it's not available as a midi device. Any suggestions?

Apart from that (I need a permanent/decent solution) I was looking into this: https://xsonicaudio.com/pages/airstep
    Looks like it's compatible with GR6 and you can add 2 expression pedals and extend with an additional switchboard.

14. Wouter De Muynck

Wouter De Muynck New Member

I purchased the Airstep controller and added an expression-pedal for testing and this works perfectly. What isn't working is bidirectional communication towards the Airstep controller. I will open a ticket with NI support to see of that is something they are considering to implement (if it is technically possible). If that should also work, then this is a great setup.

15. mwernick

mwernick NI Product Owner

Sorry to be dense, but can you spell out how to use RK3 in MIDI mode? Or point me to somewhere it's explained? RK3 doesn't show up as a MIDI device in Audio MIDI Setup utility on my Mac. I wouldn't know how to tell if GR6 recognizes it.

16. psycodad

psycodad NI Product Owner

17. blindstar

blindstar New Member

Hi everyone.

I write to know if there are news.
    I'm a Guitar Rig user since version 3, I use it to record as well as to play live, I love it, nothing more to say.
    Now I upgraded to version 6, while it sounds a bit better and has the Replika Shimmer which is amazing, it is very difficult to set up for use with the Kontrol rig 3 (yes I still use it and it works great with version 5). I cannot switch between presets with the Kontrol Rig. To activate any FX within a preset (example: to activate a Booster or delay within the preset), I must configure the Toggle option in Hold mode, if I do not activate the hold mode I must press the switch twice to activate the configured FX.
    Another problem that I detected is that when assigning a switch to some fx of the preset, the switches do not respond to the first contact, although the preset has been saved with the FX activated, it responds to the second contact and that is almost random, since it does not happen forever.
    I would like to know if the same thing happens to someone else and how to bring these observations to NI support.
    Greetings to all.

18. Nuyel Ruano Solorzano

Nuyel Ruano Solorzano New Member

You could use Gate mode on the RK to get all working fine, for the last if you could live without the LEDs then is ok to use the Gate mode on Buttons, on preset change this is perfect.
    Captura de pantalla (149).png
    On gate mode that is fixed because the RK send an ON - OFF secuence and that just change the status while on the Toggle mode one press is ON and the next is OFF

But the problem is the lack of feedback. Actually the RK3 support MIDI feedback but the Guitar Rig 6 doesn't. If they fix that to just send the MIDI parameter to match the value on the software then all will be fine.

The "random" error is not random if you have Toggle mode. Is because the RK have the value ON while the software change it to OFF so when you press the RK that in really turn OFF the value and you need to press again to turn ON, you need press twice to sync.

19. blindstar

blindstar New Member

Thank you Nuyel. I will try it and I'll comment to you my experience.