1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Holidays - free effect: PHASIS

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by Keir @ NI, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Julian303

Julian303 New Member

Cubase Pro 9.0.30, blacklisted here too. Win 10 (1709) 64bit.
    Works with Reaper v5.70

2. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

My first view in Cubase EL 7 Win 7 pro 32/64 said no dll on board. Then I remember to route fx. I open an audio track and found PHASIS on the right place. The crash is when I left Cubase. It is a 64-bit only fx. In WaveLab it has a good function. On closing pop-up a warning window. But the settings are right in the program. The daw's you use are not mine. In Catabile 2 it works also. Crash on closing.
    My pc has 12 cores and 64 Giga Byte RAM. It isn't to small!?!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  3. Saiful Idris

Saiful Idris New Member

Going with the theme, I'm afraid the plug-in doesn't appear on my Live 9 on my Mac either. That said, I am using the 32-bit version of Live so maybe that's the issue.

4. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Yes

• Like Like x 1
  5. Julian303

Julian303 New Member

This is odd, since I've installed Phasis I can't close the Cubase window (only with Ctrl+Alt+Delete > End task)

6. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

What is the compiler comming with PHASIS? The pdf manual you have to download separately. Inside is a text manual starting with: Thank you for purchasing Phasis ... etcpp.

7. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Phasis in Tracktion 5
    Phasis in Tracktion 5.jpg

8. bartveld

bartveld NI Product Owner

I don't get it: even though it was blacklisted it has turned up in the fx list and works. No crashes or anything...

9. Helene Kolpakova

Helene Kolpakova New Member

Works decent on Win 10 x64 in Sonar Platinum. Like the scalable UI although it's randomly GPU hungry up to 30-35% with one opened instance on GTX 660 Ti. The load doesn't seem to directly correlate to the number of opened instances or the scaling size. Don't see it as a big problem cause I typically have only one plug-in window opened anyway.

Other than that the UI looks and feels fantastic - very intuitive and helpful graphic, good layout, non-disturbing colour!
    The only thing I don't get about it is why the normal mode ends at 26Hz? Why not keep it a single knob for the entire range - loss of precision? Why not let it at least go to ~100Hz at the end for the normal mode? I feel sonically too limited with 26Hz.

What somewhat disappointed me was the sound. The high rate modulation itself is awesome, especially when automated with an LFO.
    However, if feedback is set to max, the signal loses like 15 dB in level and there's no output gain knob to fix it. I understand you want to avoid clipping but there are other means to solve that outside the phaser. And at high frequencies it seems to somehow lose the drive too. So you managed to get rid of all the juicy parts of the reso peaks. WHY? Compare it to a good old Phazor by Adam Szabo, for example. Yes, it fails at high rates, but in the normal range it sounds yummy, full, and rich even despite its clipping plastic character. And if it clips, I have control over it (yes, making it softer is easier in DAWs than louder).
    Also, why no LFO on Rate? Isn't it like the most obvious feature to show off the Ultra mode?

So, to sum it up, a level control with a built-in limiter and the LFO + Env for the Rate knob would probably make a good extension to this. Revising the max value for the Rate knob would probably be a good idea too.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TomSynsongs

TomSynsongs NI Product Owner

PHASIS shows a crash message when launching Final Cut Pro 10.4. Removing the component solves the issue.
    This was the same with Replica in the first place ... why does this problem repeat now with Phasis?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

For Replika NI told: you have to download the actual driver for your graphic card.
    I've done! ... it don't helps on Phasis!

12. pillers22

pillers22 New Member

yup, it ain't there. Thanks anyway, I take some small comfort in the fact that I'm not alone with these problems. Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 5.56.28 AM.png

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

upload_2017-12-23_1-55-31.png
    The VST path isn't there where the docs are. Documents in Application location. In the pic 1st path. On pc is the VST 64 location in the VST Plugins 64 bit folder. Where is your folder same named on mac?

14. TomSynsongs

Thanks Paule, but essentially this is a bug in PHASIS like it was a bug in REPLIKA before. The first incarnation did cause the exact same crash in Final Cut Pro X ... and after telling NI about the problem (of course with a lot of argueing), one of the subsequent updates cured the crash.

It is really weird to see the same thing happening again with PHASIS. Already spoke to NI support and they opened a ticket, based on my reports for REPLIKA.

Cheers
    Tom

15. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Tom, the NI community are the PHASIS beta-testers!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  16. TomSynsongs

LOL :) you are probably right. I wished NI support would take better care of reports. Most of the time, I receive answers which have nothing to do with the problem and should send all the system infos over and over again.

17. digilog_

digilog_ New Member

It looks like (also as seen in the Steinberg forum) these errors in phasis are related to nvidia gpus.
    I've also reproduced it; on my 2nd second system (switching from nvidia to intel onboard) and suddenly phasis works perfectly.
    On my first system with amd gpu also no problems.

Also as the error shown in the Steinberg KB (https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/de/articles/115001841510-Windows-Cubase-9-5-startet-nicht-oder-stürzt-ab) it looks like Nvidia has some quality issues with their latest drivers - so NI can't be blamed for that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. pillers22

pillers22 New Member

Thanks for your help, Paule, but I'm on a Mac. Search for VST turns up nothing. But thanks for trying!

19. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

pillers22, what path wrote Native Acces?

20. pillers22

pillers22 New Member

The one in the screen shot I posted. But not to worry, it eventually turned up in my DAW and works just fine, even if I don't know where it put it on the hard drive.