Having problems /w pitch after updating

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by t.i.m., Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t.i.m.

t.i.m. NI Product Owner

Hello everyone!

I'm actually using the latest update of Traktor Scratch with the latest Audio8 drivers.

Today I installed some Apple updates (security and airport) and now I have problems with the pitch on both decks using tc vinyls.

The pitch always jumps +/- 0.2 % which makes my bpm jump around about +/- 0.2 bpm all the time what makes me unable to mix exactly. Turning airport off doesn't help. I never hab probs /w airport either turned on or off.

And I am also having these sound pops. This really pisses me off!

I'm running OS X Tiger 10.4.11 on a Apple MBP /w 1.83 GHz and 1.5 GB RAM. Latest version of TS and Audo8 drivers.

Anyone /w the same problem or any help around?

2. t.i.m.

t.i.m. NI Product Owner

Deleting TS from my MBP and installing version 1.1 again fixed my problems!

3. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Please file a support ticket for the problem and resolution. There is another post where users were seeing issues with 1.2

Thanks

4. Dan-Z

Dan-Z Forum Member

I have this same issue with pitch level.
    Anyone has an answer?

5. koukops

koukops NI Product Owner

I have that too but at about -0,1% and going back to 0. Even though it changes I haven't noticed any difference in the sound. I had the 1.2 version from the start(same day release) so I can't tell for sure if this is the problem.

6. Insideout

Insideout NI Product Owner

Re: Pitch problems

I'm also having the same problem with the pitch fluctuating +or- 1 on version 1.2 with my Macbook. I have replaced my timecode vinyl and needles but it makes no difference. Changing the pitch to coarse/default/fine makes no difference. Had the same problem with 1.1 so wondering whether this is a Mac issue? Some tracks I play will not change pitch at 0.1 intervals i.e. will not play at 31.2 BPM only 31.1 or 31.3 Other times the pitch will not stay at the same level i.e will continuously fluctuate between 31.0 and 31.1.

It's driving me insane! Not good enough for precision mixing. If anybody can suggest anything that may help it would be appreciated.

7. Dan-Z

Dan-Z Forum Member

I heard that this issue could be caused by turntable/cd player.

Can you guys tell me what turntable/cd player you are using?

8. koukops

koukops NI Product Owner

I've got a pair of ttx1. I am not sure if this was happening the first days of use. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the interface trying to find my way with the program.

9. Insideout

I'm using Stanton ST150 turntables. I've logged a ticket with support so I'll let you know if I have any success.

10. Dan-Z

Dan-Z Forum Member

Not seen people with Tech 1200s with this issue yet?

11. Dan-Z

Dan-Z Forum Member

Okay guys, there's what I figured out:

I bought a new pair of turntables - SL-1210M5Gs to replace my old Numarks. I also bought the new cartridges - Shure M44Gs.

After I hooked up everything, the pitch level issue now is gone, along with another common issue - small calibration cycle.

So, I think some non-Technics turntables are more likely to have this issue and I don't know if NI has noticed it yet.

12. Insideout

Not happy. Here's the response I received from support: 'this is the nature of vinyl and can not be changed. No record runs 100%.'

I have emailed them back to give them a last chance to redeem themselves before I completely lose faith in this product and lose the plot about the level of service that NI provide. Really not impressed. Anyway, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that I didn't ask the right questions initially and they may be able to help this time.

Thought it would be good to give them specifics as to how a track typically behaves over a 2 BPM range. Tested a couple of tracks and have found that the fluctuations are occurring at 0.5 BPM increments i.e. track a) 130.0, 130.5, 131.0, 131.5. Not all tracks fluctuate at 0 and 0.5. ie. may be at .2 and .7. Some tracks also have three fluctuations at the same point in the BPM scale ie. 130.2, 130.6, 130.7, 131.2, 131.6, 131.7. The pitch just won't sit and fluctuates .1 rapidly at least twice per second. I tested the tracks three times over with the same results plus have been playing with TS for almost a year now so am quite familiar with the pitch sensitivities of the system.

Not sure about the SL1200's. Have a friend that uses them so will check to see if he is having similar issues. He mixes short with the crossfader so probably wouldn't find this a huge deal even if this is an issue with 1200's. All my mixes are longer with both tracks usually 1.45, 2 mins in together so it's a big issue for me. I am well aware that digital will never handle the same as regular vinyl but this just isn't good enough!

13. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

please let me know your ticket number, insideout!

14. Insideout

Spoke to my friend who uses Technics 1200s. Same problem so can't be any relation to the type of turntable. We've both also noticed that it seems to occur more with certain genres. I've gone from playing prog 11 months ago and only noticing it occasionally to playing mostly techno about 4 months ago and it's now a complete headache.

I'd be really keen to hear from anyone who has played with Serato as I'm curious to know whether this genuinely is a limitation of timecode vinyl or a TS specific issue.

Anyone from NI care to comment on whether this is something that can be improved in future?

15. Insideout

Sorry Nativegirl, missed your post. Ticket number is 2008042110015995 Really hope there is a solution here :)

16. DJ Freshfluke

try the other side of the record. there may be one side that is pressed off-center.

also, if you're sure that the update is the culprit, you should again contact support. i'm escalating it on my side, too (that's why i wanted your ticket number), because pitch fluctuations like that are _not_ normal IMHO.

17. Insideout

I've tried both sides of each record on either deck and the tracks I tested still fluctuate at the same points regardless. Replaced my vinyl 2 months ago, still have the old ones and tested them also with the same results so don't think this is a record pressing issue.

18. DJ Freshfluke

please test your records in the following manner:

how to reproduce how much your record is pressed off-center (T33):

in the preferences, choose a pitch range of +/-8%
    load the same track (a beatgridded track!) into both decks.
    let the one run in internal mode, the other via turntable control.
    click on sync on the turntable controlled track and keep the button pressed.

you will see the pitch go up and down.

e.g. here the results for my records.

10 minute side: 0.4 - 0.5
    15 minute side: 0.0 - 0.1

this means: on my 10 minute side with turntable control on BOTH sides, i could have a difference of 1% - of course syncing will fail badly!

the other side is ok.

19. Insideout

Might seem like a really dumb question but where's the sync button? Can't find it in TS or any reference in the manual. Read in a post ages ago that this was a T3 not a TS function.......... or maybe it's staring me straight in the face :) Please let me know and I will give it another go tomorrow. Thanks again, really appreciate your help.

20. DJ Freshfluke

yep - you can try this procedure only in T3, since the sync function is sth you dont have in TS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.