1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Headphones!

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by pfused, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfused

pfused NI Product Owner

I have to buy new headphones as my current pair just died. I am considering the Sennheiser HD 25-1. I need them for club & Studio use so I need something that can go the distance. Does anybody have any recommendations? thx

2. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

I love my Sony 7506s. Last pair I had lasted me 5 years.

3. DJSoulman

DJSoulman Forum Member

I've been using the Senneiser HD 25 SP headphones for 4 years gigging 2-3 nights per week. Beauty is you can get replacement parts for them, renewed the main cable about 2 years ago. I've since gone thru rehab to get rid of my old habit of twirling the cable round my finger. ;-)

4. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

I've had my HD25s for 15+ years. Replaced the cushions a few times.

They are loud without clipping and very accurate.

5. harry_Tf

harry_Tf Forum Member

go with your choice. i've been using them for around 10 years now and have only had to replace the pads. i've been given headphones from technics, pioneer and sony and all don't even come close. i find most are too bulky and heavy for my liking, cause its not a comfort thing, cause you don't have them on all of the time. as back up's i have another pair of senn 25-1's and a pair of technics headphones i use for the plane and ipod.

6. Myzrael

Myzrael Forum Member

Mheheh...so I'm not the only one walking around with an Ipod Nano and a BIG DJ headphone....hehe

I'd say go for whatever headphone you like. Just buy what suits you and sounds good.

7. Sean

Sean Forum Member

another vote for the HD 25's. Many many years of use...

8. buenputter

buenputter NI Product Owner

I like it big!!!
    Technics RP-DH1200E-S (or similiar, am not at home)

Head a former model before and after some 10 years, I had problems with the cable. Therefore, I chose some 4 years ago this one with replaceble cable.

9. Voff

Voff NI Product Owner

HD25s have too small earcups for me, so i choose Sony MDR-V700 instead. Sony headphones have a tendency to break in the swivel fastening mechanism. If you take the phones apart and boil the both sides of the swivel fastening mechanism (4 screws on the inner side, easy-peasy) they will last you a lot longer.

10. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I got the Sony MDR V700 took very good care of them and they still brok due to what I would call a design flaw. I would go so far as to propose it is really a designed flaw.

Pi$$ed off at the obvious weakness I went with the Technics and after 6 months of use discovered a very similar failure in those two. I know have those glued up and reinforced and the work fine but don't fold any longer

I do like the HD 25's clarity but found I preferred the emphasized bass of both the V700 and Tech 1200's over the Senheisers for mixing. Were I to buy new phones for general listening the HD 25's are a shoe in without doubt.

Sue got me a new pair of V700's Last Xmas and a replacement warranty if they fail so I'm happy.

Definitely try the HD 25's out and see if they have what you need.

Phil

11. Shaggy

Shaggy NI Product Owner

I replaced broken Sony MDRV700's with Technics RPDH-1200 also. Had the same problem with breakage. A couple of plastic quick-ties has got me by for about 6 months now. The sound is adequate, comparable to the Sony's.

12. pfused

pfused NI Product Owner

The pair that I am replacing is the Sony MDR-V700 because the left side phone completely snapped off just below the swivel bracket. The reason I am looking elsewhere is I also found them to distort/clip at high volumes

how much less of an bass emphasis would you say... ¼ ½? inaudible?

Thanks all for the input ;-)

13. Sean

Sean Forum Member

For want of a better description the HD 25 is like the headphone equivalent of NS10 monitors.

The best advice I can give is go and test drive some headphones and see what you like.

14. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

I certainly hope not, because NS10s BLOW ASS.

15. Sean

Sean Forum Member

To your ears maybe but there's a good reason you will find them in 99% of professional studios throughout the planet. They are renowned for consistent sound quality - if it sounds good on NS10's it will sound good on anything. Same applies to the HD's.

16. Sean

Sean Forum Member

and I should have added I like the fact that the HD's do not "colour" the sound. (A down point for some users like Phil who like a bit of bass emphasis) But, after using them for many years I know what they sound like - for EQ'ing I trust them every time over the vast majority of booth monitors I have encountered.

Headphones are very subjective - I think you just need to go out and find a pair you like.

However in terms of build quality, ruggedness, repairabilty and sound quality I haven't found anything that meets my personal needs better than the Sennheisers

17. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

For studio monitoring I like the Sennheiser HD 280s (I don't know the 25s). They're very accurate and have an amazing depth of field for headphones. The V700s aren't at all accurate -- they're extremely bottom-heavy, but that's exactly why I like them for DJing. The kick comes through louds and clear in sonically crowded situations (crowd, monitors, etc.) when you really want to be able to anchor the incoming track. I agree they aren't the most rugged cans it the world. Mine have the stem cracks but haven't busted -- yet.

18. DJTrevy

DJTrevy Forum Member

Has anyone tried the Denon DN-HP1000's yet? Apparently the cans can swivel a full 180 degrees, and the joints are reinforced to prevent breaking. They also have a 53 mm driver and replacable ear pads and cord. My sony's are on their last limb (I have my rigged up with those click-ties right now), and Denon's always been a solid company, putting out solid products in my eyes. Hope there's at least someone on here that's had experience with them!

-Trevy

19. pfused

pfused NI Product Owner

just got my HD25s and all i can say is ooooohhh ya. Very nice and clean. Thanks all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.