Heavy Ni User- Too Much Gear/need Direction

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by The Shaman, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shaman

The Shaman Forum Member

hey wassup.
    make a long story short. i got ABLETON, KOMPLETE 5, KORE 2 and MASCHINE going for my studio. as you see, i'm pretty loaded with software/sounds. problem is, I'M WAY OVER MY HEAD! i've been working with my "new" studio for like a year and some change now & besides reading the manuals from time to time and a few tutorials, it feels like i don't really know my baby yet.
    **WTF SHOULD I DO?**
    i know that there's plenty of people making great music with less so as a "software newbie", where should i start? help me out cuz i posted the same question on another forum and got no reply. thanks for the input.:S

2. specialjustin1

specialjustin1 Forum Member

Maybe just try one thing at a time. Use that one thing until you feel comfortable with it, then add to that.

3. Miraculous

Miraculous NI Product Owner

I definitely know where you're coming from. It's not easy getting to know all your gear in depth + improve your music production skills next to having a job, having to study, other hobbies, social life, girlfriend...(I didn't mean to put her last.......or did I? :eek: ......... :lol:)

1st) I agree with specialjustin, focus on one thing at a time.
    2nd) There are lots of people here with a similar setup and you'll find a fair amount of tutorials with regard to different ways of working with ableton/kore/maschine and peoples workflows. You'll have to find one that suits you if you didn't already.
    3rd) There are 3rd party video tutorials available for Live, Kore and Kontakt which may speed up the learning process. You'll have to decide whether you're willing to spend the money.

4. The Shaman

The Shaman Forum Member

thanks guys. really appreciate the input.
    Miraculous... i see you're set up is similar to mines give or take. have you gotten around to mastering your setup o Jedi master? *grin
    if so, what did you "warm up" with? i would assume ableton since its basically you're all in one. what about your workflow? i just started sampling/chopping on maschine but i basically use it for my drum patterns. what do you think?:eek:

p.s.
    i agree with you 95% as far as the distractions...except the GF!:confused:

5. specialjustin1

specialjustin1 Forum Member

What is it that you use, that you feel you can lay down the basics of a track? Seeing as you have maschine i would concentrate on that. I feel that the idea (bare bones of a tune) is more important than the polish (eq effects). I'm not taking anything away from mixing down of a track, but you do need something to actually mix down. So what ever is fast, fun for you.

6. The Shaman

The Shaman Forum Member

thanks specialjustin!

7. Miraculous

Miraculous NI Product Owner

I hardly consider myself a Jedi Master, more "a Jedi apprentice" to use Star Wars terminology ;)
    Anyway, I love to construct beats in Maschine which runs as a vst in Live, next to other vst's which are triggered by the Live sequencer. By using program changes in Live I make sure the right scenes in Maschine are triggered by Live. Some would find this a bit confusing but I have a two screen setup so...

When I'm pleased I'll export the midi from Maschine to Live so now also the Maschine sounds are triggered by Live's midi clips (using external devices in Live). I'll then arrange stuff in the Arrangement View of Live cause I prefer to do my sequencing linear. I'll use effects in Live to further polish the sounds (eq, delay, limiter etc.)

I think the pattern naming convention in Maschine sucks (A1-A16), it makes me lose track...and it's a shame Maschine in vst mode does not run fullscreen.

I use Kore as a vst for sounds and tweaking presets, not as a host to Maschine...but you have start your learning journey and see what fits your workflow... a little trial and error can't be avoided...

May da force be with you man :cool:

8. GHP

GHP Forum Member

I think we all been there, I have alot of software and hardware that I dont use all that much because i've been glued to the maschine. Reason is my favorite music production software and I havnt messed with it in a few months since i got started messing with the maschine. I also have Logic and I havnt even scratched the surface on that monster. I plan to start doing the drag and drop audio to mix my maschine beats in there with a wider variety of plugins. I want to master the midi out process in maschine so i can control the reason sounds and the other stuff i have in maschine. Only drawback of the maschine IMO is its stock non drum or one shotish sounds. the basses, keys and leads require some tweakage

9. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

first learn maschine
    then learn Kore 2
    add both in ableton

Don't use Kore 2 stuff... only use them in kore 2.

10. The Shaman

The Shaman Forum Member

what do you mean by "don't use Kore 2 stuff...only use them in kore 2?":confused:

11. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

sorry for the wrong words I used.

Don't use Komplete
    Just load them into Kore 2... and use all sounds.

Later you can start using Komplete to create your own sounds in Kore 2... and later you can create your own Kore 2 patches.

But first use the sounds in Kore 2.

You have very good sounds in Maschine.
    If you learn how to play with Maschine... then start using Kore 2.

12. The Shaman

The Shaman Forum Member

cool. thanks for the idea. i was just finishing up a tutorial or Kontakt. but i will most definitely take your suggestion. thanks!

13. Daath7

Daath7 NI Product Owner

What he said. In the old days you would save up to buy 1 synth and then learn it inside out. now for less money you can get the Komplete series which can be overwhelming! Just use the presets(with a little tweaking) for now. IMO there is a lifetime of learning in something that Massive.(Pun Intended)

14. timjm

timjm Forum Member

Yeah bro - have the same setup and just upgraded everything too. I found the following helps:

1. Try to get a feel for setting up your rhythm/percussion/drum pieces first with Maschine. Battery is great but the tactile interface of Maschine makes it more fun to work with.

2. Then start laying in your rhythm/ambient with Kore. You can pull all of your other NI software sounds into there. This will give you a good feel for all of the sounds, then when you find yourself needing to customize, start going into the actual programs and mod your sounds.

3. Then just drop some nice melody using Guitar rig if you are playing guitar leads.

This way you only need to use 3 pieces of software for a while til you find what works for your sound.

It took me about a month with this approach, but I love my setup now. I am also able to start becoming an expert in each of the pieces software, since I have this approach as a "skeleton" for a song.

Good luck. And remember, the NI stuff is so bad-ass that you can just enjoy getting lost in the sounds some times.

15. Mr Mahogany

Mr Mahogany NI Product Owner

I'd mostly agree with timjm. Don't forget what you got all the stuff for- making songs. The point isn't to become a master of each program or hardware piece. The point should be to use them to make good music. If you make songs and give yourself deadlines to finish them or move on and work with each instrument enough to add it to the song you can simultaneously learn the components you have while making music.

Again thats the point ;making music. Would you want to wind up 6 months from now being a master of all the components of Komplete but having no music. Thats only good if you plan to record others which doesn't sound like your goal.

16. The Shaman

The Shaman Forum Member

Wooow! I really got the direction i needed. thanks fellas. i was really in a bind for a minute, just hopping around from one thing to the next, crossing my fingers for a workflow. but this is what i've gotten from the thread...
    1) START W/ THE HARDWARE- ONE PIECE AT A TIME (maschine & kore 2)
    2) GET COMFORTABLE W/ SOME SOFTWARE (guitar rig, FM8, etc)
    3) JUST MAKE MUSIC!

Fa sho! consider it noted. thanks peoples!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.