Help Audio Drop Out W/ Traktor S4 Kontrol

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by johnbonnerjnr, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnbonnerjnr

johnbonnerjnr Forum Member

Hi all could really do with some advice.
    I am new to the world of Traktor, i took the plunge last month selling my Technics & cdj1000's. (in fact I am new to forums of any sought)
    Paid for Traktor Kontrol S4 & new laptop with cash, I purchased my laptop using the optimum specifications detailed by Traktror for using S4. A Dell Studio 15” 500gb Hard Drive 7200sp, Pentium i7 1.66Ghz which turbos to 2. something , 4gb Ram, 1gb graphics card (not sharded)
    When I set up Traktor I was learning for the first time terms such as latency, buffer & audio drop out, so please help me here if I am way of the mark
    I was getting audio drop at least once a track / mix (it would either just be a crackle / hiss or drop in music lasting a second no longer probably shorter in fact).
    I have tried my best to research this myself with the manual & web site & followed the instructions below.
    I have increased the buffer to its maximum just over 500, which I believe means the latency is at its highest? That’s the only way to change the latency? I just don’t know?
    I have put power setting on the most advance power useage going, I disabled the network device, I turned the processing power management up to 100% in both minimum & maximum, made the USB ports didn’t go idle (I know my tech terms aren’t the best, but I am new to this), tried laptop plugged in & unplugged.
    I am still getting drop outs at least once a track / mix, I am absolutely gutted wish I’d never gone digital.
    Just to point out some other things, all my tracks are 320kbps all from beatport so should be spot on I never had any issues when I used them burnt on CDS with my Pioneers, I haven’t being doing much more than two deck mixing till I get the hang of things with the program not really touched the FX system yet or done scratching, this seriously concerns me when I am not even putting the system through its paces.
    The CPU bar at the top nearly always lowish about a third way across, my processer bar on the desktop doesn’t show that the system is under any over due pressure. When I have done a quick scratch on put on the FX the CPU usage doesn’t appear to change, but I have only really quickly tested this part.
    The laptop only has Traktor installed & my music library (about 30gb), I don’t use it for anything else its brand new so should be at peak performance?
    Any help advice would be great, thank you.

2. Fraa

Fraa Forum Member

3. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

4. johnbonnerjnr

Thanks so far, keep it coming. I have been reading through the entries but I am little lost on DPC spike isssue is?

5. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

I think from the threads I've read the two things above seem to be fixing most of the audio drops. Gamebooster + deleting the file stated in the other thread. Once you get it going --- you'll be happy camper man.

6. johnbonnerjnr

So installed dpc latency checking tool & gamebooster. Could see I was not getting regular spike like some people but still getting some disabled the network & wireless all appeared well. EXCEPT sometimes when I use the laptop touchpad I get a spike! So might try a USB mouse & disable touchpad I do like to use the mouse now & again, anyone any thoughts on that?

7. photojojo

photojojo Forum Member

Someone said in a separate thread that disabling network adapters solved their problem.

8. Bestie

Bestie New Member

Im sorry but this is unacceptable, Why should anyone who has purchased a Kontrol S4 have to start disabling the parts in a computer to fix something that should have been tested before it left the production line. I have spent the last 48hrs trying to resolve this Dropout issue with Win7 64x on a system well above the specs for a mixing program and hardware. The problem is an unstable driver for Windows. Reformated just to be sure installed only S4 with 1.0.1 update and still drops no matter what latency it is set at. Done all of the tweaks mentioned on this forum and in the PDF. But this is defeating the objective of getting the unit. I mix on Internet stations from home so it is a NO GO to disable the network card or Wi-fi as how would i mix live apart from using another PC? What really has made my blood boil is the fact that Mac users have no issues like this. As for the ACPI problem that does not make a slight difference using Win7 64x. KS4 also draws 500ma what is max for a USB 2.0 port, But comes with external power supply? Kontrol S4 is a great piece of kit but unfortunatly its been marked by bad drivers & support for Windows Users. Installing 3rd party apps to resolve the fixes that NI should be doing is just bad buisness. My old faithful Xponent with Traktor worked flawless. Now im just annoyed that there is noone from Tech answering any serious issues we have. Come on NI sort it out. The Unit costs enough so at least rise to our problems.

Sorry for the rant but im banging my head off the wall ! :angry:

9. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

fill out a trouble ticket, or try posting what type of laptop you have so folks can narrow down which compters are having the issues.

10. Bestie

Bestie New Member

Done the ticket, waiting for a reply. Its not a laptop or a Dell im having problems with its a Asus Mobo (Latest BIOS) with a Core 2 Quad Cpu, 2x1GB 8800GT Nvidia Gfx cards, 3GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM, Nvidia 650 Sli Chipset, Xfi Fatal1ty Pro sound PCI e(only as a Line in device) Using KS4 as main Output to Behringer Active Monitors. 1000watt Pwr Supply, Running Win7 64bit (Clean Install). Its a small N.A.S.A as a workstation and been up to any task so far. Just so frustrating as you can tell.

11. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

i can tell man --- but as you see this forum has tons of folks offering up tips and advice on how to get it to work for the mean time. It's not people are going around saying "too bad so sad - go get a Mac". 1.0.1 was out the day the S4 was released. NI is working issues and so are the folks here. Honestly stuff like this is expected to happen 3 days after the release of a new product. That's just the nature of these things --- Iphone 4 is a great example, and that's a freaking Apple Product! Either way man, I would try as many of the posted suggestions as an intermediate fix until NI finds a standing solution.

12. johnbonnerjnr

I might have spoken to soon! got a random spike or two in a thirty min set I had not touched the touch pad either. I am lost i cannot disbale any other functions than I already have the, the buffer & latency are max.

I have to agree on that post with the fact NI support not even speaking up on this matter, come on NI your quick to post on threads with a postive topic for Traktor, shows us there is a light at the end of the tunnel, please.

13. wgdavis78

wgdavis78 Forum Member

how do you make your usb not go idle?

14. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

Device manager... then select usb hub then right click Properties then power management and untick the box..!

15. wgdavis78

wgdavis78 Forum Member

thank you sir!

16. Vi3tKid420

Vi3tKid420 New Member

your dell definitely isnt the problem. I am running a hp laptop and it has 4 gigs of ram, 2.10 duo core, running on windows vista. Used a vestax vci 300, and a torq xponent never had any dropping or clicking noises, so why the traktor s4? Seems like a big problem to everyone, one thing i wanted to know is if it was possible that these clicking/dropping noises were being made because my laptop is running on a 1.1 usb. Is your dell laptop a 1.1 usb laptop also?Because on the manuals it doesnt say that a 2.0 usb is required, but it is recommended.

One person messaged me and said that when he uninstalled windows vista, and installed windows XP it worked and the clicks and drops stopped.

17. Festplattendreher

Festplattendreher NI Product Owner

18. jay2

jay2 New Member

i came across this problem as well LIVE at my gig at ecco lounge hollywood last night. sound kept dropping out then engages back 2 seconds later.. probably happened about 4-6x during my 1hr set. i never had a problem with the vci-100/traktor pro 1.2.5 setup.

i have freshly formatted and all drivers up to date..
    hp elitebook 8530w
    3.06 ghz
    4gigs ram
    win7 64bit

although people said i rocked a good set! :S

19. joshrobbs

joshrobbs New Member

Danny you have no issues with your HP? I have DV7 with similar specs with the exception of your processor. Are you having drops?

20. sebastiannz

sebastiannz Forum Member

Ok so appear to have fixed this problem using some of the ideas from this forum. First I uninstalled the Audio4, which has the new control panel, and reinstalled the older driver, which has the old control panel. Then I plugged in my Audio4, and selected it as the soundcard for my Kontrol S4. I then increased USB buffer size to 16ms. I haven't had any popping since.

Not ideal though...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.