Help with analyzing stems

Discussion in 'STEMS' started by A.J., Jun 22, 2016.

1. jimmyjamesh

jimmyjamesh NI Product Owner

Ni have also told me the following so things are happening:

In the meantime we found out that affected stems have been created in a certain way (within Logic on Macs, using Copy >> Convert instead of exporting audio files, which causes the length of the resulting audio files to differ from the original and this corrupts the STEM in a way it can't be analyzed in Traktor. Even that - I know - doesn't solve your issue but leaves the opportunity to easily solve the problem by the creator of the affectted files

2. k0mp0

k0mp0 New Member

I have the same problem with Traktor Pro 3.0.2. Even with Native Instruments' own pack of stem files. It tells me I can't load them without first analysing but when I go to analyse a stem it says it's not a valid format.

3. jimmyjamesh

Yeah and NI do not know when it will be fixed still - last updated me last week.

I like stems but it seems almost dead now, releases are not as good as they used to be (exception being 8bit records)

4. k0mp0

k0mp0 New Member

I just tried deleting all settings, backups, stripes, transients etc.. everything that Traktor Pro saves, rebooted, and tried to analyse a (NI factory) stem and it just doesn't do anything. Usually it shows a message in the status bar stating it's scan progress but with stems it just doesn't, then if I try to throw it into a stem deck it says it needs to be analysed first.

I did however get the same file working under Windows 10 on a fresh install of the same version of Traktor Pro.

5. jimmyjamesh

I believe its a Mac problem only as I can get them to analyse on a windows machine

I reported it to NI 19th June!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It didn't happen on legacy versions so it is something they have changed - the lack of support is why I have 95% turned my back on traktor

6. k0mp0

k0mp0 New Member

I tried it on a Vmware copy of Windows 7 and it analyses fine. I will also try it on a fresh install of Windows 7 and check if it works there. I suspect it will.

7. rossni

rossni New Member

I also have a stem file that I created that I cannot analyze, first time I've had this problem.
    Traktor 2.11.3 17
    Mac Sierra 10.12 3
    The stems were bounced out from Maschine 2.7.10.

I can analyze and play the stem file on my Windows 10 laptop, so I tried exporting the analyzed file in a playlist and importing it to my mac.
    The file appears to be analyzed as it now shows bpm, key and duration data. However it still doesn't play and I am asked to analyze the file before loading.
    I perform live with my own music using stems, and this issue is a major inconvenience.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

8. jimmyjamesh

Just bought the new Josh Butler stems ep and it wont analyse on TP3

9. Chip E.

Chip E. New Member

SKIP to last paragraph for my solution.

Greetings fellow NI lovers. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I'm not one to let technology stand in my way. I was having the same issue with stems (previously created stems and they analyzed fine in Traktor 2.... Now I'm on a T3 with an MBP on Sierra 10.12 and had issues with stems being analyzed).

I think my findings will help the user community as well as the developers. I was creating a new stem set and replaced the kick from an old set. I had edited the kick stem slightly in Audacity....trimmed a few bars from the head. The stems failed to analyze. I went back and tried creating a new set from the original assets...no problem. So I took the original assets and my new kick, opened them in Logic Pro. I then exported the stems out again, opened StemCreator, and as I expected, they worked.

So, it's either a case of newer Traktor versions checking to make sure all the stems are the same length or that they were created by the same compiler. Either way, they're probably pretty good safeguards, and perhaps the same validation can be added to StemCreator to avoid issues with failure in Traktor analysis.

Synopsis....put your stems into Log Pro, export them all out, and it should work. If anyone finds that this workaround fails, PLEASE update this thread ASAP.

Peace,
    - chip e. (aka Architect of House Music)

EDIT: I noticed that someone else mentioned that it may be related to a STEM length problem. That said, now I'm almost positive it's a length validation issue in the newer versions of Traktor on Mac.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jimmyjamesh

F**k me problem still remains on Traktor 3.10 released today

NI get a grip! I reported this June 2018, you are not doing anything to help this dying format!

11. mastermat

mastermat New Member

hi guys, glad I found this thread! so to sum it up (please correct me if I´m wrong!):

1. it´s a mac related problem.
    2. it looks like it has to do with stems of the same NI stem file having different length.
    eg when the synth stem is shorter because in the last bar there are no synths and the single stem is therefore not rendered with the same file length as the other stems of the pack.
    note that it will still play perfectly well and in sync in stem creator (and on windows traktor) as long as the startpoint is set correctly, which is well explained in tutorials and btw. more than obvious. but of course nowhere is being told that if the file lenght is different it will not play back on mac with newer traktor versions than the first one that suported stems.
    3. the stem creator (which for no obvious reasons hasn´t been updated once after it was officially released in 2015)
    still creates stems with different file lengths because they worked in the traktor version present at that time.
    4. NI knows about this (how could they not) and they just don´t seem to care to fix it.
    5. the windows version of stem creator will produce horrible sounding stems due to low quality codec used within the windows version,
    so you have to produce stems on a mac to get an NI stem file without strange artifacts but if the single stems of the pack have different length (see example above) they will only play back (or better: be able to be analyzed) on traktor on a windows machine.
    6. you have to dig deep into forums to find out about all this, it´s not mentioned anywhere on the NI website or the stem creator website.
    7. what does that tell us about the stem format (or it´s future) and its priority for NI?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  12. jimmyjamesh

Huge thanks to mastermat - he has fixed my stem issues on 8bit records on macbook pro!

As implied by Mastermat and Chip E it seems the stem length is causing the problems - NI please look in to this if you are reading the forums.

I will update my support ticket with what you guys have found out.

13. mastermat

mastermat New Member

14. jimmyjamesh

I have reached out to ni support twice since we discovered the cause of the issue, zero response

15. jimmyjamesh

No replies from NI "Support" last email they bothered to reply was 11.02.19 and gone quiet now - I have chased countless times since!

Bug goes back to June 2018.