Help with PC build

Discussion in 'Computer Technology and Setup' started by Davewp86, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Davewp86

Davewp86 New Member

Hello,

Soon to be getting komplete 12 collector's edition as a new customer. Paired with an S61 and have chosen Cubase as my DAW.

Here's my build so far:

Focusrite 6i6
    EVGA gold 750 plus
    32gb RAM (with room for 64gb)
    I7 6700k
    Gtx 1060
    240gb SSD - OS/Cubase 10/Apps
    1tb m.2 SSD - NI samples
    2TB 7200rpm - projects
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I want to keep this in budget hence the older CPU, so really I wanted to ask some experienced users how well a good quad core i7 like the 6700k holds up when having multiple instances of NI open?

I appreciate different daws utilize cores differently. People say the ram and SSD are most important and the CPU not as important. But on the other hand people say the more cores/threads and higher clock speed you have the better.

Do I need to be looking at an 8th gen hex or Octo core? Or an extreme i9?

Any opinions on Ryzen hex and Octo cores Vs an Intel quad?

I don't want to regret my CPU decision, but at the same time I dont want to overkill it and spend money unnecessarily, as once the machine is built, money saved on said build can go straight towards the sound card, DAW and NI.

Want to make a variety of Electronic, metal and orchestral, using symphony series, action strikes, emotive strings, various synths and effects, plus other libraries such as shreddage and shevennai.

Just don't want to be limited to how many tracks I can load, but at the same time I'm not going to be scoring huge pieces containing 60+ instances, I'd say more like 10-30 instances.

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I would buy an 500GB ssd and install komplete there to shorten loading times if you often use big sound libarys in kontakt like I have done in my recent new pc build. Rest I have done similar with big cubase projects on an hdd. Have fun with the new machine my was a big leap forward with a Ryzen 5 2600x and before I had a fx 8320 and the new ryzen is great for music not like the fx I had before.

Uwe

3. Davewp86

Davewp86 New Member

Thanks Uwe, I also had an FX 8320 previously too! Though I was using FL studio and it's included instruments so it wasn't so CPU intensive. But with Cubase and Kontact I anticipate something newer is required.

How are you getting on with the Ryzen? Can you give me an example of how many CPU intensive Kontact instances you've been able to manage without any choking? It has more performance for the money than the intels though I heard it's real time audio processing wasn't as good.

I may end up biting the bullet and spending a little more on a z390 motherboard, and an 8700k so I can upgrade to the 9900k later if needed. But Im still open to AM4 if users suggest Ryzen is still good enough despite falling behind Intel in some areas.

How much ram do you have and have you maxed it out yet, if so roughly how many libraries can you load at once? Still wondering if 32gb is overkill and I should start with 16gb. But if I do that I'll only have room for a max of 32gb.

The 240gb SSD is only for OS and DAW, I've included a 1tb m.2 SSD for Kontact since I'll need 670gb for collector's edition and want some breathing room for third party libraries.

Cheers for your help

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Ah OK that's perfect with the 1tb m.2 ssd.
    And no I didn't tryed it yet how many instances of kontakt it can handle i don't use it that much. I can now use a lower latency and the CPU bar in cubase barely moves only the lower real time bar a little bit. But my projects are really small. I saw a test where someone uses reaper and lots of kontakt instances and I was really impressed. So I decided for me to use Ryzen 2600x and the good thing abut AM4 is that I can at least upgrade to the 3000 series later with Intel you can only use one generation on one board AFAIK. But if you like I can make an easy test just do 4 instances of different kontakt instruments with different notes and double it as much as it's possible with 512 samples at 44100/16?

Uwe

But what you wrote about your projekts an 8700 would the way to go I think and later 9900.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Oh I tried it but forgot that I only own cubase artist and so can "only" load 32 Instruments. So I can run those 32 kontakt instances even with 64 samples latency at 44/16 without any problem the CPU meter in cubase is a little bit over a third. And my roland audio interface is really not the best.

Uwe

Ah P.S. I had only four three note Chords playing in series on 2 instances with notes on top one session horns and one the giant. On the other two the same but with an arpeggiator one kinetik metal one scarby mk1. Maby later I can increase note count?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Davewp86

Davewp86 New Member

Sorry for the late reply Uwe.

That's really helpful thank you. I'll be starting with elements then upgrading as I need to spread the cost. Same with komplete select then 12 and so on.

I think I am going to upgrade my build once I know what kind of performance I'm getting/needing.

I think the Ryzen sounds very competent, though I'm swaying towards the intel X299 motherboard which has 8 Ram Dimms for a total of 128gb max. I'm aware most motherboards have had an update to support 128gb over 4 dimms but there's still no 32gb sticks available and if there are they're either server ram or stupidly expensive.

So possibly start with the 7800x (equivalent to 8700k) See how the CPU performs and upgrade it accordingly over time. There's plenty of extreme CPUs all the way up to 18 cores and 36 threads for me to consider and these CPUs also have 512 bit AVX support which is an added bonus.

It's only going to cost a bit more than the original build I was looking at due to the x299 motherboard being a little more expensive than LGA1151.

I'm still open to opinions, advice and benchmarks though. Nothing is set in stone yet!

I'm glad to hear cubase is running well on your Ryzen and thank you for those tests! :)

Dave

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. Davewp86

Davewp86 New Member

Hey Uwe,

Hows it going? I ended up getting the Ryzen 7 1800X in the end, really happy with it :)

Paired with 32gb 2666Mhz RAM in dual channel and room to upgrade to 64gb later, also got the M.2 SSD which is super fast.

Haven't had chance to tun any tests yet but Im getting Cubase 10 artist and komplete 12 ultimate with kontrol a61 this month and looking forward to getting stuck in!

Dave

8. Old Mike

Old Mike NI Product Owner

A bit late, but let me explain my experiences:

I first had a ryzen 2600 an I often had performance issues with studio one.
    The perfomance with cubase was okay, but I wasnt really satisfied with many instruments and CPU-hungry plugins loaded. I had an I5 before that and didn't see any improvements.

Studio One needs generally more cpu resources in my experiences, although the new update should have improved this a bit.

However, I changed my system to a 8700k and it was running a lot smoother. But I also bought a RME PCIE-Card and the performance improved further.

But I have to say that I bought the Ryzen at its early state; there wasnt much experiences around audio-systems at this time. This probably has changed.

There are are some people who thinks that Intel-based systems does work better with audio performance, but due to the development of AMD CPU, I could imagine, that they will work fine now, too.

If you are happy and everything's working, there is no reason to change.

At some level in PC-based systems, if you want to improve a lot, you have to pay a lot more.

9. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Oh cool I

10. Kostas1

Kostas1 NI Product Owner

Well this's a decent choice, apparently. Many say that Ryzen has beaten Intel in performance of similar models, and prices. At least AMD told us so at annual event. They also have this (7nm?) process Intel don't have. Lots of youtube reviews focus on new Ryzen's and Intel can't keep up.

11. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

I can confirm the Ryzen 3000's are ace. I built my new system last week using Ryzen 3600 with x570 motherboard and it makes mincemeat out of my i5 rig.:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Majikaz

Majikaz New Member

Soooo... after reading many posts on this topic im none the wiser...
    Can anyone actually say that they run Traktor / S8 Or Maschine Studio + Maschine 2/ Komplete on a Ryzen based PC build or not??
    I have read quotes about ryzen/AMD systems being "Compatible" with NI software but from my own experiences this is not the case..
    I cant speak for Ryzen AM4/TR4 platforms as my current build is around an i7-4790K

Can someone provide some screenshots perhaps with control panel with ur Ryzen CPUID/Specs

(press "WIN_KEY" + "Pause/Break") and then ("WIN_KEY" + "Print Scr")

Rock on ;)

--Edit: FYI [X86, X64, X86-64, AMD64 and Intel64] Intel uses native x86 instruction sets and AMD uses abstracted x86 instruction sets, considering N-I have their own drivers and on past AMD systems (such as my AMD FX3850) I was unable to run Traktor and my S8. AVX instruction set needs to be considered when talking about supported CPU's. Intel cpu's don't have the same bottlenecks when compared to older AMD cpus. Audio drop out issues and Audio latency issues of which LatencyMon allows you to easily see this. Ryzen 2600+ have different architecture and is in itself a huge subject, something which cannot you simply say yes/no it supports or not unless its clearly stated by N-I as such i cannot find such references only hearsay..

Not to mention inconsistencies with the driver support for USB HID devices like for controllers..

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019 at 12:01 AM
  13. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Maschine and KK run fine on my Ryzen 3600 & x570 motherboard.

14. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Everything runs fine on my ryzen 5 2600x with 470 chipset.

Uwe