Higher Resolution for Maschine Software

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by A1exDaGreat, Jul 23, 2019.

1. A1exDaGreat

A1exDaGreat New Member

I'm not sure if anyone has been having the same problem as me; however, my eyes are custom to seeing 1080p and higher. From movies, video games and music programs, my eyes has custom to such visual resolution. For a few months now, I have been using Maschine Studio to make music production but I can't bare looking at it for a long time because it gives me a huge headache. It looks so blurry and outdated.

I can make a beat on FL Studios/Pro Tools for hours. But when I get on Maschine Studio for like 10 minutes, my head feels like its about to split in half. I have to squint my eyes just to try and keep working on Maschine Studio.

Does anything like this happen to anyone? I have 20/20 vision and do not use glasses lol.

2. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

ofcourse it would be nice to have an updated GUI. but: for me, using maschine (mk3) is all about "don't use the screens / make music / jam / enjoy...". and it works: most of the time my laptop is closed and i do what i need to do on the mk3 screens.

3. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Fatigue can hit some people far easier than it does others. In the crt days I could stare for hours as long as it was over 75 hz. Anything less and I'd be lucky to do half an hour. I haven't a problem with the MK3 screens but it doesn't really matter what happens with others. If what you are using causes you problems then use it as little as you can.

• Like Like x 2
  4. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

Go talk to an optician, I think you need reading glasses.

René

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. A1exDaGreat

A1exDaGreat New Member

I guess I am used to the screen but I guess I will try to use the screens on my Maschine Studio and Komplete until Old School Native Instruments decides to update the GUI.

6. A1exDaGreat

A1exDaGreat New Member

I did go lol. He is nothing wrong with my eyes, lol.

7. A1exDaGreat

A1exDaGreat New Member

Guess I will have to wait for the GUI update in year of 2030 lol

8. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

A GUI update will not magically increase the resolution of the screens on Maschine.

9. A1exDaGreat

A1exDaGreat New Member

Ok Merlin, make it happen then cause its 2019 going on 2020. :)

10. A1exDaGreat

A1exDaGreat New Member

By the way I mean the software itself where you can see what you do on a computer screen not the actual screen on the Hardware Maschine. Just to be clear. :)

11. tempsperdu

Presumably it is on the to do list but at the moment Maschine has areas that probably need even more attention. Whilst many have called for the resolution increase for some time I think you are the only one I know of that has complained of fatigue and headaches because of the resolution so maybe René does have a point.

• Like Like x 2
  12. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

Oh, I thought you were talking about the screens of your Maschine studio because you mentioned it specifically.
    I myself run Maschine 2 on a 42" screen. (Max RES. +/- 2000x1100 / full HD)
    Everything is nicely sharp.
    The middle part is a problem for most eyes, and can cause tired eyes.
    The difference between the dark gray and the black lines makes it difficult for the eyes.
    A simple solution for this problem is to change the black line color to a lighter gray color,
    which I think is easy to do, perhaps in the next Maschine 2 update.

René

Attached Files:

• vbm.jpg
      vbm.jpg
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
  13. m-chop

m-chop NI Product Owner

Propellerheads reason still hasn't adapted to vector bass resolution. It doesn't bother me... since i have logic x

Fl studio is very attractive GUI. very sharp

14. tempsperdu

I initially thought that too.
    Ah 640 x 480 I remember it well ...........happy days ;):oops::D:D

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

At "Full HD" or less there is no blurriness, Full HD is nowhere near Hi-Res by today's standards like 4k (or 5k with iMacs and such).
    4 full HD monitors would fit in a 4k panel as in amount of pixels, it's so big in terms of PPI (pixel density) that things have to be scaled (stretched up) in order not to be tiny, this is what causes blurriness with software that is not scalable by being vector-based or doesn't have multiple predefined view sizes.

The OP probably has 1080p scaling on a higher-res screen. My UI scaling, for example, is set to half the size, I personally dont get a headache while looking at the blurry Maschine soft (as well as a few others) but do get a bit dizzy for lack of a better word.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hum... I have been trying Logic and quite a few internal plugins are blurry to me, might be because I am a noob with it.
    Reason (I am on 9.5) has parts of it's UI sharp, like the browser and sequencer, the rackmount view and mixer is blurry too tho.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  16. tempsperdu

My monitor is full HD and whilst it's not 'pin sharp' it is perfectly readable and I never suffer from fatigue or dizziness from it. Are there any music programmes that really benefit from using screens with 4K resolution or would it not be better to restrict yourself to using no more than full HD resolution if that majority of your software only supports that resolution?

17. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Ableton Live is fully scalable for example, there's a few more but not many from my experience.
    That depends on the user's taste... Also, for newer decent laptops (last 6 years or more) 4k is the standard and users have no choice, full HD is pretty old tech.

Full HD for me is absolutely horrible for software, seeing all the pixels especially in text bothers me, even a decent smarphone nowadays is sharp/hi res. Audio folks tend not to care much though but if you try a sharp screen it's hard to get back to a pixelated one.

The main benefit of hi-res is sharpness and the fact that you can scale the whole system to whatever UI size you like, a 27" and 32" or bigger can require different amounts of scaling, distance from the screen is also a factor... it's about choice really, on a full HD screen you're stuck with one size and no scaling options. Occasionally I might turn off scaling if for some reason I need a ton of things to fit on the screen.

PS. I edited the title as "maschine STUDIO" has no relevancy, this is a software issue nota controller specific one.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  18. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

They also can’t figure out how to make it render at more than 10 FPS even at low resolution, so I wouldn’t expect a high res UI update for Reason anytime soon.

19. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

A lot of older Logic plugins haven’t been updated yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. muitosabao

muitosabao NI Product Owner

Not just Maschine. Everything NI is stuck in 2001, GUI wise. Bitwig, Ableton (fab Filter, Isotope etc) have beautiful interfaces in HDPI screens (which any new laptop has).
    My advice, considering the abysmally slow pace of development, is not even dream about it and keeping the expectations low, because surely we should not see such a feature before 2050 (reference needed).