Honest criticism: Remix Decks +F1 touted as "Ableton in Traktor"

Discussion in 'KONTROL F1' started by runningoutofspace, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. procrastinator

procrastinator NI Product Owner

..sigh :(

You made some good points in your other posts but this one ...

2. jbfuller

jbfuller NI Product Owner

I know, opinions are like...

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

you obviously have no idea about hiphop and how to DJ this style of music.

i dont think this forum is the place for offending any kind of musical genre!

4. runningoutofspace

runningoutofspace NI Product Owner

It ain't that kind of party so stop it. Absolutely nobody should get offended by what I wrote because I will take this time to try and clarify what I meant:

- (we all know) Serato has appealed to a certain DJ user base that is mostly into hip hop, r&b, pop and the mash-up side of music.
    -(we all know) that is because their users mostly require hands-on - no sync, not into buttons and normally don't like all that "techy" stuff that isn't like a real deck. IMHO, adding Ableton Live control to Serato via The Bridge was kind of a waste since their core user base wasn't going to be too receptive to using that. If you watch the videos...they even "dummied down" the demo and didn't go into the full potential of what they could do with all that junk.

I actually do know how to mix hip hop but I acquired skills on real Disco so I stick to what I've evolved from and hip hop is just not my thing period. I don't secretly envy or publicly hate on whats in other's boxes or what they put in their DVS decks, unless they pull it out, play it and it doesn't work. My point was that Serato's core support base is well-defined and doesn't really require the Abelton addition. So "Schmuz" (shmooz) meant that Serato is all cozied up to an identity that normally won't need all that.

-Done

5. DJ Freshfluke

"we" all know that ssl went through the roof when it was released for one reason: it was good and WAY better than finalscratch2 at that time.

who is "we"?
    i know that nearly all ssl users have dicers now. or an X1. there are also a lot of traktor users who refuse to use the sync button because it's perceived as kind of cheating.

still no relation to hiphop - you'll find these conservative type in all genres.

what do you think how many traktor users use all the super-advanced stuff traktor offers? or how many will use the remix decks?

you're whole way of formulating things is already offending and feels arrogant to me.

anyways, IMHO there's only one reason NI shouldnt have put a comparison to ableton in it: ableton has never been a dj software.

6. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

For the music genre I agree not to insult the genre, but there is some truth to the difference in how (so-called) hiphop is usually mixed that makes it difficult for some to transition to and from it. Truthfully its all tech now. just listen to any top hits its all tech.

A whole separate thread could go on and on about this...

I think runningoutofspace(ROS) has a point that really is not an insult to the genre rather a confusion of how everyone mixes.

The F1 brings the use of samples and what many may call "stabs" you know.... The breaks style mixing common to the hip-hop genre. For some the use of a quick not (concieved) as synced samples changes the style of mix and is useless to them.

My opinion is music and the way we all know it to be made is slowly and painfully changing, we all want instant beats, instant melodies and freedom of artistic expression, but we all have different taste. So the workflow is a hard thing to really nail down.

That is why I am skeptical of the f1, and the 2.5 release, what may work for Shiftee and what ROS calls "shmuz" may be a change some can not adapt to. Including me. but I want it to work and i want the samples, I just dont want to be limited to the way Shiftee or Ean Golden may flow. (which is impressive just not quite my style).

I think the key word is "Adapt" Which may be interperated as "Learn new sh1t"

7. DJ Freshfluke

ROS: you keep it on topic or you keep out. removed inappropriate posting.

8. runningoutofspace

runningoutofspace NI Product Owner

Let it go dude.

9. DJ Freshfluke

dude? again you choose a way to express you're standing above all and everybody?

in fact, you're missing the point: in this whole thread, despite all your efforts, you're not finding much acceptance with your thesis. accept that. continuing in petting other users will lead to an infraction.
    see this as a last warning.

10. DJ Freshfluke

i agree.

the huge functionality the remix decks brings in all details will definitely need a learning curve. it's up to everybody to experiment with it or not and in the end of the day it depends on how much work you want to put into this new feature. i see a great potential, but like with every advanced feature it depends much on the personality of each and every dj if and how you use it.

11. DJ Freshfluke

ROS: too bad you cannot answer to the honest criticism i had with some of your statements or even keep it on topic. as i told you before, you will be now given an infraction.

12. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Dude... yep every user is not a dude.
    This thread should be closed? It is all speculation and no one has anything to really contribute since the true test will be an abelton users setup and workflow vs. a traktor users f1 and samples workflow. Then check out the end result which is good wholesome music for the masses to say nay or yay to. all users have an opinion and have that right. But to base an opinion on speculation and push the idea as truth is kinda closeminded.

So honest critisizm would be what? cant critisize what I dont know yet.

13. DJ Freshfluke

it has not been the first statement in this thread that was kind of patronizing towards other members. and this is my main concern with this thread. i've been following for some time and in the end decided to jump in because the patronizing way of communication did not end. nobody has "the truth". there are a zillion "truths" out there. accepting that others may have different opinions is absolutely important.

however, what we stand for here in this forum and at NI is, that:

- everybody is equal, regardless race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, ... etc. pp.
    - and yes, this goes also for users of other (dj) software. while everybody here in this forum probably believes that traktor is the very best choice, you're obviously free to use whatever suits you best.

it's all about the music.

yeah, maybe you're right.

*closed*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.