1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Host Transport Control doesn't work with Komplete Kontrol MK2 due to NI removing MCU support

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by HammyHavoc, May 20, 2018.

1. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

I'm not an expert on the subject but the reason as I understand comes down to the DAWs ability to allow 3rd party devices to integrate on a high level using an API. The previous MK1 keyboard offered "MCU" mode which is basically a protocol supported by all DAWs but does have its limitations. MCU Protocol can access transport and some track commands etc but there must be something it cannot achieve for the more advanced MK2 since there is a lot more the scripts can do in Ableton/Cubase etc.

The reason software like Ableton is always one of the first supported is because it is built for 3rd parties to work with, offering a number of high level protocols, API and SDK for developers to use so for a programmer, it's very easy to access and do anything. Not all DAWs support this tho or have the required hooks/API to make it the same experience from one DAW to the next, which is one of the main focuses of the keyboard.

I don't believe it has anything to do with competition and they are working on it (be it very slowly) but my guess is that some DAWs need to implement some software changes to make it happen which would be a low priority for some.

The issue we have tho is there is no "fallback" way to make it at least kind-of work such as just MIDI messages from the buttons and that is the frustration of many, some of who upgraded from the MK1 only to discover there was no way to use it with their DAW like they could with the MK1 and now after a year, still waiting. One reason I personally use and love live as a techie programmer type of person but that isn't everyone's cup of tea

2. Neoradius

Neoradius New Member

Actually, before bying the KK MK2, I knew that the Studio One is not supported, but I thought it means simply that there is no mapping preset by NI for Studio One, which comes with the keyboard, and that I would be able to map the buttons manually. But it was frustrating to discover, that I can't do this. The Studio One simply does not "see" the MIDI data from the buttons, and there is no way to map them.
    Thank you for the info, anyway, and, I'll be hoping the work is in the process.

3. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

That is because the buttons do not send MIDI, they send some other message like OSC and hence why many are frustrated, the buttons cannot be mapped to anything if they don't work

4. Neoradius

Neoradius New Member

Ah, now I see. Now I understand why switching drivers tens of times, hoping to find the "right one" was to no avail. In this case, I think, it is the Presonus, who should make some steps for their DAW to support OSC. But knowing, how slow they can be when it comes to requested new features, I don't think this will happen soon.. But still, I chose this DAW as the most convenient one for me. It has many intuitive features that make the workflow much faster. Although Ableton is great, and in many features it exceeds S1, it still misses a lot of things that S1 has.... But there is no ideal DAW, unfortunatelly :). At least, among those I tried.

5. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

Check out posts #25 and #26 on this page.
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...or-software-issues.337337/page-2#post-1696803

Don't expect any integration this year. Maybe sometime in 2019.

6. Neoradius

Neoradius New Member

It's refreshing to know. I am glad that at least they are working at it, or planning to work.

7. Kb_place

Kb_place New Member

Hi Kymeia,

How did you get the A Series to work with MIDI learn? When I try to do that in Studio One the transport buttons don't seem to send any MIDI messages at all.

8. Hotlovedrama

Hotlovedrama New Member

So they released a new line of keyboards without finishing the developpment of the more expensive one ??
    A 600€ keyboard should work with every daw, no excuses.

Presonus will probably release their own keyboard.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

I hope so, because I moved from Reaper to S1, because the later in Version 4 much better supports composing with the new chords track.

But evertheless ... it was NI, who caused this problem with a wrong design decision ... yes, wrong, because many other DAWs are affected too for the same reason. So NI have to solve it, noone else.

Users like me, who inform themselves before buying anything new (no offense intended!), won‘t buy a MkII ... I‘ll definitely keep my MkI, which works like a charm.

After the release of the Atom, a nice and much cheaper Maschine alternative, I wouldn‘t be astonished to see a Presonus keyboard in the near future too ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

The million dollar question is, will NI provide deep integration with S1,or if it'll just be an option to finally restore basic MCU.

11. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

MCU will result in a longer DAW compatibility list, so my vote goes in that direction.

12. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

They can't unless S1 starts supporting OSC. That's up to Presonus.

13. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

And that‘s pretty unlikely, when I only see Maschine MkI in the devices list.

14. xgman

xgman NI Product Owner

sheesh...

15. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Best would be to integrate mackie first so you can use it with every DAW but later also add an own integration cause mackie has also a big disadvantage. If you own a mackie controller or an controller based on that protocol you can't then use with a keyboard also using mackie cause you can only have one mackie master. And I think it should be possible to make it switchable via editor and 99 percent of the people would be happy. Or just make an own solution but then please quickly.

Uwe

16. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

I think, that should be the fastest way for a solution for most users, because I wouldn't expect full integration for every DAW to ever happen.

But Studio One is getting THAT popular, that in this case I would highly recommend full integration. But the question is, if Presonus would be interested ... I fear they don't, because the only NI device you'l find in S1's device list is Maschine Mk1. And OSC support is definitely a matter of Presonus, as any other DAW vendor too.

17. trusampler

What's the official stance with Presonus regarding Komplete Kontrol integration now? Surely, they should be accountable to some degree.

At least Native Instruments have gave us an official statement,but what about Presonus?

18. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

You will need to open a ticket to get a feedback ... nothing in the forum, except user feedback.

Regarding Maschine I expect, that they are not willing to do something, now that their Atom is released. And in case they should plan to also release an affordable keyboard, they won‘t support NI hardware at all. But who knows?!

PS: I heard in the Reaper forum, that though Presonus support is great, when you have technical problems or product related questions, their support is said to be bad, when it comes to feature requests or bugs. At least, that was an answer of another user, when I told, that they answered pretty quick, when I had a question about upgrading S1.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  19. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

PPS: Presonus asked for a voting regarding this feature request:

https://answers.presonus.com/20921/will-there-be-intergration-for-komplete-kontrol-mk2

Anybody, who has a MkII or plans to get one and is interested to use Studio One, should vote!

Even those who don‘t use Studio One right now, should check out the new chord track ... that alone was reason enough for me to use it and there‘s also a free version available ;)

20. trusampler

I disagree about their tech support, from what I've found with their quantum interfaces, their tech support, isn't properly educated in advanced cpu issues with their own asio interfaces with thunderbolt. I've opened support ticket for komplete kontrol, but this has been requested for years,and it doesn't have an official response from Presonus.
    I bought their atom for the hotel n my macbook pro,but it's pretty cheap feeling. Either way I feel Presonus needs to address alot in their midi dept. NI is a huge company and the KK keyboards are very popular and should get support.