Host Transport Control doesn't work with Komplete Kontrol MK2 due to NI removing MCU support

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by HammyHavoc, May 20, 2018.

1. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Correct arturia stuff is NKS ready so you can use it with maschine or komplete kontrol but not the other way and as you can also press space bar for play and so on I would definitely choose kk keyboard and even more if I already own maschine - just my 2 cents.

Uwe

2. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

Yes, but KK supports MIDI mapping, for which I can create a User profile/preset in Arturia keyboard. Basically, I am not talking about seamless integration for non-Arturia products, but at least there are lots of controls that can be mapped as required.

For Maschine, I can use my Mikro MK3.

For Komplete Kontrol software, I can MIDI map all the available knobs and buttons. Even if not through Arturia keyboard, I have already figured out a way in FL Studio to do this even with my existing keyboard. So, the Arturia one should just give me some potential additional mapping.

3. LoveEnigma

Since KK keyboard does not give me any advantage as far as DAW (FL Studio) is considered, I would make more use of Arturia KeyLab. Also, KeyLab has a lot more features and can also be used as a MCU/HUI compatible MIDI keyboard.

As far as Komplete Kontrol software and NKS instruments are considered including Arturia ones, I can control them through Arturia KeyLab as well - I mean not completely, but at least majority of useful things.

And by the way, I will be getting V Collection 6 for FREE with Arturia KeyLab MK2, so yeah, why not! :) ;)

Uwe303 Now what is your opinion about my choice? Please let me know your thoughts. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  4. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

And that is a pure nightmare, because it has to be done for every virtual instrument, you use, right?

5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

It's up to you and how you use it, and what you expect. If you use it with maschine software then kk keyboard is best choice obviously. But if you want to use it with a daw and you don't want to use transport controls from maschine (midi mode for a few buttons while in native control mode. Then buy arturia, i guess your choice is already made.
    Can you also load any vst fx in arturia keylab software like in kk software and everything is mapped already? Artu
    But if you are not sure then mybe go to a local dealer and get your hands on and then decide.

Uwe

6. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

No, only Arturia synths from the V-Collection are available in Analog Lab ... even the new Pigments is missing. And no third party instruments are possible.

PS: The only alternative to KK, I see, are Nektar and Akai. There is a dedicated old thread about those alternatives.

7. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I had a nektar p1 and if your plugins are premapped then everything is fine and most native stuff is Pre mapped. Additionally you can save up to 20 control presets for 20 instruments or fx and if you open a plug in you have made a mapping for it gets automatically loaded as far as i remember. There is a list online what instruments and fx are premapped and how deep the integration is with your daw. Cool thing is you can send qwerty commands and even and chains of them that was really useful for me in cubase. Another cool thing is the display, you always know what you are doing.
    The Akai advance looks promising but I don't know anything about

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  8. LoveEnigma

Not really. I mostly use only Native Instruments stuff, and have recently added u-he plugins and will be getting V Collection 6 along with the Arturia keyboard and some Waves plugins - all of which are NKS compatible and can be used with Komplete Kontrol software. And I have mapped all the buttons and knobs from the MIDI mapping panel so that I can control parameters through the knobs for any VST I load in Komplete Kontrol. For NKS instruments, it is just a little better.

Since KK keyboards don't offer any DAW integration advantage to me and I am already able to the above with my existing controller (and will be with Arturia KeyLab as well), I don't think I am missing out anything significant by not going with a KK keyboard.

Over and above, Arturia integrates perfectly with Analog Lab which can host the entire V Collection. This itself is probably worth the money. Additionally offers DAW and User modes for any personal customization.

I am not trying to prove Arturia is the best or KK is any less, but it certainly seems that for my use case, and I think for many others who use FL Studio especially. :)

9. LoveEnigma

There is no need for Analog Lab to open other instruments. KK is there for that.

Nektar and Akai keyboards simply don't appeal me, even looks wise. Also, I am not interested in the ecosystem or advantages they might give. Just saying. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  10. LoveEnigma

Yeah, I cannot use Maschine for DAW controls anyway (FL Studio here), so I am keeping it separate. I can load it in FL and do some basic things, else it is mostly a standalone thing for me.

Unfortunately, there is no local dealer nearby to me, else I would definitely visited for demo.

11. bobbybland

bobbybland NI Product Owner

Akai has the layering part down and Mcu, but their browser sucks and the keybed isn't great. Imo. I think NKS is a smart format and works well. NI needs to refine Mcu, and layering. Nektar Imo has the best keybed, but nothing when it comes to patch support like the host software, vs just a daw, which I do prefer. I'm curious about the next Akai release.

12. bobbybland

bobbybland NI Product Owner

Whoever gets it right first with all the above, keybed, patch management, MCU, DEEP INTEGRATION, ayering, will indeed COME OUT ON TOP. NI is the closest imo, but are too slow with releases.

13. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

https://support.native-instruments....s-Host-Transport-Control-feature-in-FL-Studio

That doesn't work for you? The template only has to be the last selected but maschine can be in native control mode then the transport buttons control fl studio.

Uwe

14. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

Yes, I have it (V-Collection plus Analog Lab) and love it ;) But I love Pigments even more, for which btw a NKS will follow up soon.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LoveEnigma

Yes, V Collection is indeed awesome. Haven't tried Pigments yet, but maybe in future once it is NKS compatible. ;) I am only going the NKS route as far as plugins are concerned. No NKS, no buy. :D

By the way, what's your view on the other points I shared in that post? I am asking just to know if my understanding is correct or not and I am not missing anything, especially as far as going with Arturia KeyLab is concerned. Appreciate your opinion. :)

16. LoveEnigma

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it does not help. Mikro MK3 is still not supported in Controller Editor by the way. Also, I have not spent any time using Maschine in MIDI mode. But as far as FL Studio transport control via Maschine is concerned, I think I have tried everything, but nothing is working. I think I will keep using my MIDI keyboard only for that. One of the reasons of going with Arturia is that at least transport control will work right out of the box, unlike KK keyboard.

As a side note for FL Studio users, NEVER use/assign "MIDI Ports" in FL Studio. It is a nightmare and if you have used that you would already know it.

17. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Ah OK I overlooked that you own mikro Mk 3 and with it you would always have to switch in midi mode - all the reasons why I use maschine stand alone as long as possible and then switch to cubase for mixing only. That way I also divide arrangement and mixing process otherwise I would go back and forth forever. But that's all a matter of personal taste and stuff.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Our user made NKS version works very well in the meantime

19. LoveEnigma

Exactly my point. I don't really see myself using Mikro MK3 in MIDI mode, and would like to keep the workflow just like you mentioned. And for DAW, I better use a MIDI keyboard controller only. However, I do like to load Maschine as a VST in FL Studio for some things.

20. LoveEnigma

That's cool, do you mean for Pigments by the way? Sorry, can't access your user NKS link right now.