Host Transport Control doesn't work with Komplete Kontrol MK2 due to NI removing MCU support

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by HammyHavoc, May 20, 2018.

1. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion NI Product Owner

Adil @ NI, can you please update us? Is Native Instruments looking into this? Is there a timetable?
    Can we at the very least have native Transport controls?
    Are we going to get S1 integration?
    If you guys don't have the bandwidth to complete this, can you release the necessary information and code to allow users and third parties to do it?

We are still trying to support you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

I'd go as far as saying NI should provide us with a working daw of our choices( which I wouldn't even bother with) or give us a full return of our purchases, (This I would accept).
    I've invested pretty heavy in NI over the years this one I didn't see coming.
    I won't bring up Kore, but they know this is just a slap in the face to the customers who upgraded only to be stripped of a working MCU.
    AGAIN NI NOT EVERYONE USES ABLETON!!! I personally hate that Daw and its retarded pattern based options.
    Not everyone composes in patterns, yes some are simply smart enough to arrange via linear and think pattern based daws are actually slower to use. Shocker huh?

• Like Like x 1
  3. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

This makes me very reluctant to migrate users to Cubase or Nuendo; we have a fast workflow with Studio One, and everybody is familiar with it as we've used it since the first version. NI dropped the ball badly with this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Hey man, I use Ableton and i'm not sure you need to vent your frustrations by putting others down who choose a certain tool for their workflow. I personally think Live has one of the best workflows BECAUSE it is not linear and I have been composing on DAWs since they were just Trackers back in the 90s (possibly before you were born).

By all means, get pissed at NI for whatever but no need to suggest that people are not "smart" because they don't work the same way you do.

5. HammyHavoc

Horses for courses, right? Let's not derail from the topic at hand otherwise we risk getting the thread locked by mods.

6. trusampler

Yeh, sorry I just don't like the fact Ableton is always their number one choice for support, and this has always been the case with them,sorry if I offended anyone. Just really sick of their mindframe when it comes to daws

• Like Like x 1
  7. JesterMgee

Ableton is a first choice for many developers because it is built with an API that is Taylor red for integration. It has been designed to play well with hardware instead of being closed like most others. That’s why so much hardware works with it and it’s supported first because it’s cake to integrate with. That’s one reason I work with Live, because everything works with it and there is even the ability to easily create your own scripts too.

Some other Daws have zero integration beyond midi and MCU so it’s a challenge to get the smarts working properly. Questions should really be asked of some Daws why they don’t offer easier integration for hardware these days.

8. trusampler

That makes sense,and I can accept that as a viable reason for their support of Ableton,but not without the fact that NI clearly took away a working feature (MCU Support for Studio One) and for those of us that upgraded to MK2 NI left that part out of their sales pitch with MK2.
    That's just wrong, and no matter how you slice it, it's not right to do,to leave that part out.
    I obviously have supported NI,but this should have been mentioned,users should have been warned,as I wouldn't have gave them a dime.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JesterMgee

Yeah that is certainly a good and valid point which I don’t fully understand either. There must be a reason and a solution planned and it would be good to know some insight into it for those that lost support for their DAW. Hopefully they are flat out working on it in some way.

• Like Like x 2
  10. HammyHavoc

This is a valid point, but consider this: Reaper is as easy to integrate with as Ableton Live, even supports OSC amidst other things (OSC is needed for Advanced Host Integration), and yet here we are, we don't have Advanced Host Integration for Reaper either. The number of users of Reaper likely far outnumbers the amount of people using Studio One too given that it's been around a lot longer, and has more features like surround sound support. It's down to NI to support it.

As I don't see them making any software open source, the logical thing to do would be to supply an SDK for Komplete Kontrol and Maschine, or an API so we can map things ourselves in a transparent way that ties in with the rest of the software experience that NI provides. I don't see NI doing that, I think we're more likely to get MCU support before that day ever comes.

Considering Maschine and Komplete Kontrol are meant to be about workflow, it is absolutely perplexing to me why NI remains quiet on the matter other than it's on a backlog. Having functioning transport seems pretty fundamental to a decent hardware workflow.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HammyHavoc

Adil @ NI Keir @ NI I'm going to need an ETA by the end of the working week or I'm going to be forced to look into other solutions. Time is money, this thread has been up for almost a whole month, and the product has been out for over 8 months now at this point. I'm hoping that by the lack of response over it that you're hard at work on it, if so, let us know, if you're not any closer to having this sorted than you were a month ago then I guess that speaks volumes on the matter.

• Like Like x 1
  12. trusampler

I just sent support a ticket to unregister my hardware as well ,for both the kk MK2 and MK3. I won't be back if they don't fix it, first Kore now this. What a crock from a so called Leader in the industry.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HammyHavoc

It's a pity because it's very close to being excellent, but missing such basic functionality that even a $50 keyboard has is just ridiculous, especially at this price point after 8 months. I don't feel valued as a very loyal customer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. trusampler

Completely agree

• Like Like x 1
  15. HammyHavoc

So, now looking for buyers for our KKMK2 and Maschine MK3 units. Seems that NI treats the KKMK2 just like they treat Guitar Rig Kontrol and Kore. A real pity as it had so much potential.

16. trusampler

Sold the MK3 off pretty quick as a Buy it now on ebay. Picked up the Akai Mpc Live instead, I'm naturally an Mpc guy,but figured the integration would've been cool with MK3 and KKmk2 within daw, but nope.I missed the Mpc.
    I really like the potential KK MK2 could have ,but man without transport controls,patch import working smoother, and any daw integration,its just useful for patches and controls. I hate that it still cannot import our own stuff nicely. It has alot of strikes against it and NI doesn't seem to care about individuals here whatsoever. Meanwhile another CEO of a pretty big synth company frequents gearslutz and comments,sends pm's etc.
    To me it seems like another Kore coming,it's almost in a sick way like they profit more from not going all the way if that makes sense. Sick

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. HammyHavoc

Opened a support ticket with NI requesting an ETA for MCU or I'll be walking away. Not holding my breath.

• Like Like x 1
  18. trusampler

It's like a bad dream ,a whole bunch of creative idea's only to be held up by some corporate scheme to only allow features for those who play with their own. What's crazy is that Native Instruments is a leader and could easily hire more talented staff even on freelance for these sort of projects if they wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HammyHavoc

Makes you wonder what they're doing with their recent $59m investment. https://www.billboard.com/articles/...ve-instruments-raises-59-million-emh-partners

This is a bold statement:
    “We foresee an easily accessible music creation ecosystem that connects user centric design, with powerful technology and data, to further enable the music creators of today, and welcome the new creators of tomorrow.”​
    240 days later, we haven't even got MCU on their flagship products. So much for accessible and user centric. What convinced EMH to invest $59m I'm not sure. I can only conclude there must be something amazing in the pipeline that's taking priority away from basic functionality on existing products that are currently for sale.

20. trusampler

Oh not fair right? Wait a minute, lets think about it.
    1. NI removes Splits -MK2
    2. NI removes MCU - MK2
    3. NI still hasn't added Instrument layering. MK1+2 This is at least 5 years since they released the first version.
    4. Still no way to import and properly batch multiple instruments without an SDK

Do they get the point here? They will continue to lose valuable customers this way,especially when others like Akai keep improving VIP...

• Like Like x 1