1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Host Transport Control doesn't work with Komplete Kontrol MK2 due to NI removing MCU support

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by HammyHavoc, May 20, 2018.

1. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

I read reviews aplenty before purchasing. You're assuming that I didn't. Bore off, sad little man.

2. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

Blame the customers for purchasing an upgrade to a keyboard in which the company downgraded the features, and made no mention of it in their sales pitch,or information when purchasing the item.
    CLASSIC

• Like Like x 3
  3. jackontheroad

jackontheroad NI Product Owner

I agree, host transport control is needed! I use Reaper and half of the kk mk2 functionalities are lost

• Like Like x 3
  4. trusampler

what's the update to this disaster NI?

• Like Like x 2
  5. HammyHavoc

The latest:

Hammy Havoc Wednesday at 17:07
    Hi Marcel,

Is this currently being worked on?​

and the reply:

Marcel S. @ NI Thursday at 12:10
    Rest assured, it is in the works.
    Best regards,
    Marcel S. @ NI

• Like Like x 1
  6. trusampler

Great News!!

7. trusampler

Did he mention any sort of time frame, or ?

8. HammyHavoc

No; it's the same canned response of it being in their backlog, phrased differently.

9. trusampler

This is such a shame,that there isn't more importance on this issue.

10. HammyHavoc

I think the unfortunate truth is likely to be that as with too many audio-oriented businesses, once they've had your money, they don't care because their marketing served its purpose. NI isn't going to go bust if a few customers walk away; it's just churn. Our overall value to them is evidently very little.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

They have certainly made an error of judgement over this in the first place but I am sure they are working on it and I think it's probably towards the top of their backlog list now that splits are done.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Oliseo

Oliseo New Member

The lack of MCU support in KK MK2 in FL Studio bothers me. I was going to purchase a Korg nano Kontrol2 to overcome this.

It's about £40, worth checking out if you really need MCU and a few micro sized faders.

In the end though I purchased a Warehouse deal Maschine Mikro MK2. This provided me with the MCU controls I was lacking and also a set of decent pads for drums. (Can be used with Fruity Loops MPC), there are some great templates knocking around that provides a whole heap of features.

To compliment the FL Studio Template I started creating my own templates for the S61 Mk2 using KK and Bomes Midi Translator Classic to map keyboard shortcuts. It was in doing this that I started to notice a real lack on Image Lines side.

There is no way to

Focus the channels page. None, you have to TAB around until that page comes into focus.
    Focus the Instrument on a particular channel. Whilst you can move around the channels using keyboard, you cannot bring into focus the instrument!!
    Focus the instrument when opening a piano roll. You can press F7 to toggle piano roll, but it will not automatically focus the relevant instrument.
    Rename + Colour + Label a channel. You can do this with patterns via shortcuts, but not Channels (Despite being able to auto map a channel to a free mixer slot), you have to right click and select from the menu.

There are several others as well, and it's an exercise in frustration. I can understand peoples ire at Native Instruments, but Image Line aren't doing themselves any favours here either in all honesty.

It's only when you attempt to work with FL studio do you begin to understand how difficult it would be for anyone to do deep DAW integration with FL studio when FL studio is just heavily reliant on the mouse even for those who would prefer to use keyboard shortcuts. The inability to Rename+:Label+Colour channels whilst you can rename+label+colour both patterns and mixer is a particular standout omission on Image Lines side.

So if even keyboard shortcut enthusiast are forced to use a mouse, what hope does NI have at providing deep DAW integration.

Yes, I was riled at the lack of play/stop/record, but truth be told, it was flakey on my Edirol 500 and that's actually supported by IL. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it would just stop, and nothing would get it working again. Likewise the mod/pitch wheel. Thankfully I've had no such problems with my Maschine Mikro. I really recommend getting one, not only will it resolve the MCU support issues, but it's a great compliment to the S61/49 Mk2 for sure.

Alternatively go and buy the Korg Nano Kontrol2 at 1/5th the price.

As for deep integration with FL Studio, forget it, that's image lines problem. Not being able to bring an instrument into focus after selecting a channel using keyboard shortcuts without using the mouse, not being able to label, rename or colour a channel without using a mouse, that's Image lines issue, nobody elses.

To be honest with you, the only reason I still use FL studio is because it has the best piano roll, midi note editing window going. If it wasn't for that, I would have ditched it. It's one of those DAWs that the more you use it, the more you know about it, the more it becomes frustrating to use. This is the opposite of all the other DAWs. I'm starting to see why it's not used as much in a professional setting as other DAWs.

I'm starting to use Maschine a good deal more, because I can get things put together in Maschine in 10 minutes that takes an hour at least in FL studio, and having miles more fun doing so. I still miss the power of FL studios midi editing window. Nothing beats that. It's just the rest of the package where it starts to fall behind.

As it stands you can't use FL studio without having to use the mouse at some point, even for basic things that shortcut keys would suffice. No-one is going to provide deep DAW integration with FL studio until IL can rectify it's own shortcomings.

How are you supposed to integrate a left mouse double click again?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  13. HammyHavoc

As I said in another thread that you posted this identical message:

A lot of us already own the Maschine, my company already owns several Maschine MK3 to utilize directly next to the Komplete Kontrol MK2 units we own, but that also requires running Maschine on a track to operate it, and Maschine's MIDI implementation is lacking compared to most DAWs, especially for film scores. Your solution of buying more hardware to get hardware you already have working is silly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. trusampler

I do pretty well, but my pockets aren't deep enough for that. Luckily I already have a Yamaha 76 KEY gem and a faderport to use. My Komplete Kontrol MK 2 Brand New is sitting in the corner. That speaks volumes to any new Studio One DAW users and KKmk2 potential customers,at least it should.

It's maddening that they stripped a perfectly working feature to be replaced with nothing.
    Seriously it drives me mad, so I refuse to use it. In terms of software development, how hard is it to add a simple feature like MCU back in the mk2?

I'm no software dev.but usually when NI wants to correct a bug,it's pretty quick. I'd say this is the biggest BUG they've ever allowed through their system.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

That's the problem though, it's not a bug, it's a design decision. imho one that wasn't really thought through well, although I can understand where they were coming from to a point. The problem is getting companies to change design decisions tends to take a lot longer than fixing bugs, partly because they don't like being made to change a plan that seemed so nice in their heads, but secondly because the change may not be a simple as fixing a bug, it may require a fundamental change in how stuff works. In this case adding midi output to the transport controls that currently only output some proprietary HID data and OSC. I guess they just didn't anticipate how much of an outcry this would cause; unlike things like splits which were always planned I'm not so sure this one was, so it is now taking time to get right and not mess up other stuff. At least they have said they will address it, not all companies would even accept they made a mistake in removing stuff and do something about it, they just palm people off with 'this is how things are'.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. trusampler

• Like Like x 1
  17. HammyHavoc

I really did expect Adil @ NI or another representative from NI to have chimed in again by now. Fast approaching the one year anniversary.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bobbybland

bobbybland NI Product Owner

This is bugged the **** out man, how can u remove a feature that the previous version had Native Instruments? That's just fucked up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. trusampler

Still Waiting...

20. HammyHavoc

I doubt we'll see anything until the one year mark.