1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Host Transport Control doesn't work with Komplete Kontrol MK2 due to NI removing MCU support

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by HammyHavoc, May 20, 2018.

1. JKG2

JKG2 NI Product Owner

What's equally frustrating was the loss of the wheel controller tricks, especially the ping-ponging and time-based mods it could do.
    I don't know if that was part of the MCU issue as well, but they all disappeared when I replaced my KK1 with the KK2...oh, well over a year ago now.

Come on NI, you're better than this! (right?)

• Like Like x 1
  2. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Wheel controller tricks? The KK MK1 doesn't have wheels, it has vertical touch strips. The MK2 has one horizontal touch strip. To my knowledge, the modulation tricks aren't available, but then again, not that familiar with the MK2 as barely touched it in the time I've had it since April due to the lack of MCU. The lack of MCU and the strip tricks aren't related though.

On another note: https://www.native-instruments.com/...ng-right-screen-on-kkmk2-s61-contrast.333631/

My KK MK2 seems to have died. Once it's fixed, I'm contemplating ditching entirely. Used a handful of times! Incredibly poor!

3. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion NI Product Owner

I'm starting to doubt we will see anything.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HammyHavoc

Certainly looking that way. Incredibly disappointed to be left high and dry like this by NI.

5. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

I am using FL Studio 20 and most of the NI products, including Komplete 11. So I was just thinking of getting Komplete Kontrol MKII keyboard, as it is no-brainer in my workflow. But saw this topic, and a lot of others, and got disappointed. Without deep integration, I don't think I will get any meaningful use out of the keyboard. And here we are talking about issues with just the basic transport controls!

I think there are some protocol support issues from Image-Line side as well that don't help with the deep integration.

My only hope/wish is that Native Instruments and Image-Line work together and make this deep DAW integration possible with FL Studio, as it is currently possible with Logic Pro X and Ableton.

Once this happens, I will not think twice before purchasing KK MKII keyboard.

Please, NI.

6. HammyHavoc

Have you seen my other thread? https://www.native-instruments.com/...ng-right-screen-on-kkmk2-s61-contrast.333631/

My KK MK2 is currently at NI's repair center and has been for over a week. After the screen started malfunctioning, BOTH screens stopped responding entirely (they stopped updating info on them) and it started spamming random MIDI.

I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on audio gear in the past five years, for both business and personal use, and the half a dozen KK MK2 units I bought for my business is by far the worst investment ever made. Protocol support issues aside, the quality control seems to be truly poor. The main reason we went with the KK MK2 is because our experience with the KK MK1 was superb, and the MCU support on that was great.

NI are pushing the performance aspect of their products for live use currently, and I wouldn't dream of touring a KK MK2 after all this. After having barely used the keyboard due to a lack of MCU, to just have it pack up after sitting on my desk's keyboard slide for several months does not bode well.

7. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

@HammyHavoc

I am so sorry to know about that. I did not consider these issues at all, as I thought we were discussing mostly on the DAW compatibility and software/protocol issues.

I hope all the issues with your KK MK2 keyboard get resolved soon. It is really devastating when you have spent so much on something that fails like this.

The products are complicated in what they do, so some issues can be expected, but I hope it is taken care by NI in future that at least we don't see them lying on our desks unusable.

8. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

Still no update ?

9. HammyHavoc

Well, I got my KKMK2 back from the repair center (here's why I sent it: https://www.native-instruments.com/...ng-right-screen-on-kkmk2-s61-contrast.333631/)-- and several of the black keys had a strange mottling/staining on them visible under our LED lighting that I had a studio tech buff out. Supposedly the keyboard was cleaned at their repair center, yet the keys did not come back as they were left-- in a negative way.

The knobs beneath the screens also have an unusual gluey/sticky/tacky sound when you touch the tops of them that's coming from under the knobs, which is very irritating when you frequently need to touch the top of the knobs as they're touch sensitive, it is incredibly distracting to hear a sticky sound coming from your keyboard whilst working on soft piano parts. Confirmed it isn't something arcing internally by unplugging the power and doing it, it's definitely some kind of sticky noise internally; our other KKMK2 units don't do this. Needless to say, this is a joke at this point.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. trusampler

That's terrible news.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Sucky

• Like Like x 1
  12. trusampler

I sold off maschine mk3 and bought another mpc which works perfect in studio one for transport controls im still on the road and haven't touched the kkmk2 in months but judging by NI development it won't happen soon enough n ill sell it off too. Such a simple thing and they completely fucked it up.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Xyenz Fyxion

It's not like they don't know. Goodness, it could all be so simple. I'm almost praying a better company comes along at this point. If that is the new NI or a different company, we should demand to be given a little more respect for our dollars. It isn't hard to provide.

• Like Like x 1
  14. trusampler

Native Instruments hasn't been the same since they lost a few of their really good developers back in the Kore 1 and v2 days. THEY'VE STRUGGLED to release anything decent since then. MASCHINE releases have been a struggle for them. I'm still hopeful in Akai. Yet I have invested heavily in NI PRODUCTS over the years.
    It's a management problem imo. NI needs better product management!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

If they lost really good devs and haven't got replacements it's probably more a case of getting the right people. Good developers cost money and a lot of the time the investment in a new developer or two can take a long time to be repaid. Having said that, with the recent investments hopefully they'll hire some more talent with a different view of things.

And as a blatant plug I'd be happy to talk to NI about being hired :D

Mike

16. Split2nd

Split2nd NI Product Owner

Finally purchased this Beautiful keyboard that I was patiently waiting awhile for! I Hook her up and first thing I do after installing software is go to sync it to Cakewalk Sonar for DAW Transport, and low and behold, i cant get it to work..So I spend a few googlin and youtubin, to find my way here, only to find out they drop MCU!! You have gut to be kidding me! I seriously cannot win when it comes to finding that perfect MIDI controller huh... Then I have to see how ugly NI's customer support and Interaction is... How have they not addressed this yet? Making no attempts to even respond like they should here in their own forum! Looks like I may be sadly returning this and sticking to my Novation SL MKII, which till now has been the best controller I have owned yet. Ill give it a try and reach out to Native Instruments direct and see how they are willing to treat me..

Hey HAMMYHAVOC, do you have any suggestions on what I can do to help get a response? any request sections or pages you can lead me to? or as to go about contacting them? TY

• Like Like x 2
  17. HammyHavoc

Adil @ NI used to speak on the forums regarding this, as did others, now it's complete radio silence. If you want to get in touch with NI, open up a ticket over on https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us

Today, NI announced Massive X as being a part of the new Komplete software package-- the twist is that Massive X isn't available until February. Seems NI is now in the business of shipping half-baked products. I understand that in 2018 patches and software updates are the norm, but if they're selling products based off of things that are "coming soon" or "in the backlog", I genuinely despair.

They also showed off the Maschine Mikro MK3, the 88 key KKMK2, and a budget series of Komplete Kontrol keyboards. So lots of new hardware; I expect to see a lot more anger regarding the lack of MCU coming to these forums following these products launches considering it's been almost a year since the Maschine MK3 and KKMK2 were released. I'm honestly appalled that MCU wasn't an announcement today.

18. Xyenz Fyxion

You and me both, Havoc. I sincerely feel like NI shot a deuce on their current customer base. We have oodles of features we asked for that were ignored. But, they honestly don't owe us that. I let that slide. Without the addition of MCU after all this time, I'm heartbroken. I want to defend them but just can't. They lost their focus on innovation. That's clear now, if never before.

Jam users are still twiddling their thumbs waiting on an old promise. I'm shamefully one of them. I can't purchase an upgrade that I may want since Massive isn't even available! It's hilarious (and tragic). I would probably enjoy Massive X and Kontakt 6. Plus, I'd like to pick up more Expansions in that Collector's Edition. But, I'm holding my dollars for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  19. HammyHavoc

You and me both! It's criminal how much potential the Jam has for both production and performance. Lack of a Jam MK2 seems like they've abandoned it. Hadn't been seeing many in music stores in terms of stock for a few months, I assumed there was a new one coming that was going to ship with Maschine 3.0 or similar. In fact, I assumed the Mikro MK3, 88 key MK2 and budget KK would surely bring the basics back like MCU.

Kontakt 6 looks like a very nice step up, undoubtedly it's at the cutting edge of sample based instruments, the scripting tools look great. There's a lot of solid reasons that everybody on the forums invested so heavily into the ecosystem. We expect better at these price points. Plain and simple. It isn't like we invested at the budget end of the spectrum. As a business that uses NI's products, and as an overall end-user, I won't be sinking any further money into NI until the basics are worked out, and that's pretty sad considering how it's small quality-of-life features in software that would make the hardware superb to work with.

As an aside; I got the chance to check out Cubase Pro 9.5 and Ableton Live 10 with the KKMK2 and Maschine MK3. Bitterly disappointed. The erase/replace button isn't available to use for whatever perplexing reason . The "Advanced Host Integration", isn't. MCU with customizable transport would have made far more sense than the Advanced Host Integration they pushed so heavily as a key feature.

20. Xyenz Fyxion

Agreed, while I bought both, I only use Studio One. But, the Live Integration doesn't make the lack of MCU okay. We have useless buttons on expensive hardware. Who made that decision?

It's like they don't understand that the more you service the customer, the more they buy-in to the company/eco-system/future product campaigns.

And, you can't even switch MIDI templates on the Jam without opening Controller Editor?! NI, you are almost the perfect girlfriend, but you don't want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1