Hotkeys for playlist management

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by dj_smex, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

Hi,

Can we have hotkeys so we can manage playlists without drag and drop?

I have very low vission and struggle to read the tracks in my collection even with high magnification. I have a blind DJ coming to see me next month about digital DJ gear and she has no sight at all.

Therefore, having the simple option of hotkey mapping to perform simple functions like:

Add selected to preperation playlist (Fav1)
    Move selected tracks Up/Down (in playlist)
    Copy/Paste track selection

These simple hotkeys would revolutionise the ability for people with low vission or low mouse control allowing them to manage playlists via a keyboard/midi control.

Didn't we have "add to playlist" in T3?

Other very usefall keyboard controls would include:

Standard things like Y/N for Yes/No diologs.
    Spacebar for select/deselect tick boxes within diologs.
    Tab to move between form fields within diolog boxes.

It's not rocket siance I'm asking for here, just consideration for people who have to do things differently.

I believe Traktor to be a high quality professional product and it would give me great pleasure if I could say to this blind DJ next month that NI are making improvements that will greatly improve her DJ experience. Giving her more independant control over her DJ performance.

To get a feel for the frustration, un-plug your mouse and then try and arrange a playlist in Traktor.

From the actual performance side of things, Traktor is truely wonderful! Once a suitable MIDI/keyboard mapping is been done and the prefs are setup to meet the DJs requirements, it is not only possible to mix a DJ set without touching a mouse, if done well, there is no need to see the screen either. As an example, last night I did a 2 hour set with the VCI100, A8 and TPro and not once during that set did I touch or look at the laptop!

2. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

You can already assign a HotKey to Add to (Fav1) although i find it limited that you cant bind 2 Favourite functions to One key (Add to Fave/Fave Select)

Move Selected Up/Down with a Hot Key is an excellent idea. I can see that being really useful. dj_smex i think you should send that Suggestion to Support.

3. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

Hi, I believe the "add to favorite" only applies to playlists in the tree view. Although, I haven't tested this yet in Pro, so will do this before forwarding the idea to NI support.

I posted the concept here to get peoples views and support. One voice is made much greater when said by many.

So if you support this idea, speak up.

4. Karlos Santos

The Add to Favourite applies to the Favourite slots 1-8 (Preparation plus any other user assigned)

5. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

Just checked out the Add favorite hotkey and works a treat!

I've a few more tests to do but when I've a selected track in the list view, pressing the assigned 'add fave' hotkey does indead add that selection to the assigned playlist.

Now what I need to test is if this works from tree view when I need to select a playlist to be assigned to a favorite space. Then the last test is to see what happens if a playlist is selected in tree view and then a selection of tracks highlighted, will the 'add fave' hotkey just add the selected from the playlist?

NI, you've again impressed me, this will be a great help. If you could add the other hotkey option for moving tracks up/down inside playlists and perhaps, hotkeys for list sorts it will be a great help!

The last thing that will really help are default keys for dialogs so a mouse is not needed.

yep, the manual is my friend, although it sometimes take going over a few times before, you get the most out of it, or is that just me lol.

ps will update my foot note soon

6. Karlos Santos

Yeah if you use the Hot Key to select a track from any playlist it will add it to your Favourite just like from Track Collection.
    Also look for Favourite Select so that when you have Added a track to a our Playlist you can hit (spacebar in my case) and it opens the Favourite rather than using the trackpad.
    It would be great to bind both these functions to one Key but its not possible.

7. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

Hi,

I've done a few more tests, as I'm looking at doing a Traktor setup for a blind DJ, who unlike me, has no sight at all. I have very limited sight and can see the GUI under high magnification, although this is slow going and not suitable in a live set.

What I have found is the hotkey add fave, will copy the selected tracks from the list view to the specific favorite slot. However, I haven't found a way to assign a playlist to a fave shortcut via hotkey. IE the action of dragging a playlist from the tree view on to a favorite shortcut.

Also, I've found that the delete tracks Y/N dialog excepts the enter key for Yes and Escape for No. This is good, as gives someone with no mouse control, the ability to use this function.

My thinking is if I setup a playlist for each of the available favorites, with hotkeys to add tracks and switch between favorites. It will be possible to manage 8 separate playlists, with easy switching between them all via the keyboard.

However, I've still yet to find a way to sort a playlist via keyboard. I'm going to investigate the search hotkeys and see if there is a way of doing this via search options.

I know in T3 there was the option of typing search queries like $RELEASE="Funky House" but no option for sort order.

I really hope I can find a way, or get NI's support on this. As success will mean enpowering a blind DJ the ability to enter into the world of digital DJing.

If you know of any existing way of managing playlist sort order via hotkeys, please let me know.

thanks,

8. Karlos Santos

There are some List options in the Browser Section in Preferences that may be useful.
    I will certainly look at some more options.

I applaud your work with blind DJs, probably something i wouldnt have considered had you not brought it to my attention.

9. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

thank you, I guess having very low vission myself, I have a better understanding of the needs and ways of over coming these kind of difficulties.

I'll take a look over the browser prefs and will post my findings.

best,

10. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

I really like this idea

11. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

12. nomaad

nomaad NI Product Owner

Very cool. Interesting that your angle has been usability for DJs with impaired sight. Its an important project. Like Karlos, said, I wouldn't have thought about it- I'm just going deaf- had you not brought it up.

I like the ideas, but one in particular. Being able to change the sort category would be a godsend for me. I'd spend a lot less time searching for tracks. I really try to avoid touching my laptop at all.

13. orjan

orjan NI Product Owner

+ but also with midi-key/jog/encoder, (perhaps after a modifierchange from select up/down).

14. Karlos Santos

I have forwarded the feature suggestion to move selected tracks and it has been well recieved.
    +1 to having this on an encoder. This would be a very powerful tool on my Faderfox browser encoder which currently just pages up/down when pressed.

15. chris_in_london

chris_in_london Forum Member

i would like the option to have shortcuts for sorting lists,

e.g. shortcut option under 'browser', with sub-options of 'name', 'artist', import date', 'rating' etc

we can already do this with a mouse-click, so super easy to add as a shortcut

16. Karlos Santos

17. Marc_Tf

Marc_Tf NI Product Owner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.