How about a "warning sign" about the discontinuing?

Discussion in 'SPEKTRAL DELAY' started by AlexV, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexV

AlexV NI Product Owner

I see that both Spektral Delay and Vokator are still selling at NI´s online store (http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=effectslineshop), though they are being discontinued as of yesterday.

I own Komplete 4, and I am worried about the use of the two in the future.

But I know that I´d be not worried, but really pissed, if I were to have bought them as downloads now (as one still may) at full price (199 euros), and then find that they´re allready placed in the discontinued category.

NI should ASAP inform of this both in the online store and on the info pages on the two mentioned products; A kind of "warning sign" would be appropriate!

I apologize if I seem to be the ever annoying faultfinder, as Native to me is a great supplier of software. But in this case, I get the impression that NI is trying to hide the info that costumers really have the right to get in order to make the right decision on whether to buy the products or not.

2. mrzosonp

mrzosonp Forum Member

I bought Vokator 2 days before they discon'd it.

3. AlexV

AlexV NI Product Owner

Now, that ought to leave them with a bad conscience! You have my utt most of sympathy, mrzosonp!

4. Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske NI Product Owner

Having important plug-ins be discontinued is always disconcerting, in that at some point, you won't be able to recall sessions that used them unless you maintain a vintage rig.

We've already lost Spektral Delay, Vokator, Impakt, Kompakt, and others. What's next?

5. l-rey

l-rey New Member

i, too, am upset with NI's lack of notice of the discontinued products(vokator & spect. delay). quite frankly, i'm most upset about the fact of them discontinuing the software products in the first place. i love effects!... i'm an effects person, and i totally can't believe my fave titles from NI are the ones being shafted.

this is a lesson for NI and its customers. be very cautious of purchasing from NI for it might be the next unsupported-ware. i, for one, will happily take my business elsewhere from now on. thanks NI... for nothing.

unsatisfied customer,
    L-Rey

6. Mr-Emulator

Mr-Emulator NI Product Owner

Hopefully they will release something similar in the Future. Maybe a "rig" with vocooding and spectral effects. I mean they just can't drop such titles without an adequate replacement?

7. Tical

Tical NI Product Owner

I purchased Komplete 4 during the "summer of sound" offer also because of Vokator and SD, just to see them discontinued two weeks later; the above mentioned offer has been blatantly advertised as a once-in-a-lifetime offer but a sign reading: "Warning: 2 out of 11 plug-ins will be discontinued soon after your purchase" was nowhere to be seen.

Now I'm in the very same shoes as the original poster, as I don't want to use those plugs in my projects, already knowing they won't be supported any further (and Leopard is just behind the corner).

But, above all, it's a pity they discontinued two pretty unique products, having practically no competitors out there (calling them a vocoder and a delay is an understatement).

8. AlexV

AlexV NI Product Owner

It seems NI has come to their senses; The "Effects Line" is now removed from both the list of products and the Online Shop. Anything else would be just stupid.

9. l-rey

l-rey New Member

nice of NI to stand by their products... espcially the effects line. :S

10. kingubu

kingubu NI Product Owner

Yes. I don't think that NI has much respect for their customers. Companies like Waves go to extensive lengths to make sure that current versions are compatible with ancient ones. Even though I never reach for a Q4 anymore, 10 year old DP sessions still open just fine.

I desperately wish that the Logic synths and effects worked with DP. I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

I'd look to SFX Machine as a possible Spektral Delay replacement. It's not the same at all, but is very versatile:

http://www.sfxmachine.com/

Best to the ship-jumpers!

11. l-rey

l-rey New Member

Thanks for the recommendation, kingubu. I'll look into that. In the meantime, I'm thinking of giving Izotope's Spectron a shot. It has a nice price tag and works with all formats.

I agree with what you said. Waves products are superior products and safe-buys because they invest on making all of their software future-proof. Maybe Native Instruments are too lazy to maintain their code =/ i hope not. i used to be a software engineer and know how tedious coding can be. but what really perplexes me is.. "how can they code really great software like Spektral delay and vokator and then just disregard them like they don't exist anymore?" from a coder's point-of-view, just boggles my mind. in the meantime, i'm off to try els vocoder and spectron.

12. kingubu

kingubu NI Product Owner

Oooo- I'm going to check out Spectron right now!

13. AlexV

AlexV NI Product Owner

By choosing Native, I hoped to avoid the uncertainty of products suddenly being discontinued. As mentioned in another thread, I also have several Steinberg products, and the company cooperates with other companies in making for instance Groove Agent (with Bornemark) and Hypersonic (with Wizoo). Now, Groove Agent 3 (the long awaited UA update for Intel Macs) is finally here, about one year delayed. And there´s for instance hugely rumoured uncertainty regarding the future of Hypersonic, because of the cooperation with Wizoo.

I had hoped that this would not be a concern with Native, as one company controls the whole process. But now I´m not sure anymore.

14. AlexV

AlexV NI Product Owner

Came to think about it... What would have happened if Microsoft (or any other major software maker) sold a product at full price one day, only to discontinue it completely the next? They´d probably have their asses sued off within a few of days...!

15. nicmac303

nicmac303 NI Product Owner

I read today that the most recent version v5.9.7 of Waves plugins no longer support DirectX. It seems every software company is trying to lose my business :(

16. zenke

zenke NI Product Owner

I am also very upset with NI at the moment. This continual race to upgarde. I have still Komplete 2 and fine it more than fine for my needs. However I now disciver that over half of the products in K" are discontinued and not only that there are no upgrades for them to wotk in the new macs.
    I do see this as a cynical move to get customers to pay more and more.
    Not a Happy Bunny me.
    z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.