1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

How big a sacrifice is 25 keys with NI? (A25 vs A49)

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by M B, Jan 11, 2019.

1. M B

M B New Member

Hi :)

Buying the A49 (vs A25) would mean I will loose my important macbook pro on my desk, as I won't have space for them both.
    Please let me know how important are the 49 keys for NI, I think it is vital (Strummed acoustic is spread over 3 octaves for example), but need some confirmation.

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

The extra keys essential if using kontakt to have key switches in diff colors.

3. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Key colours aren't an issue with the A series as they don't have the keyboard light guide. It's more how much of the keyboard you'll use. For tapping out synth or bass lines the 25 will probably be fine. For two handed playing you'll probably want to go with the 49. If you want access to all the keyswitches at the bottom end of the keyboard then you'll need the 49 at least, ideally an 88. I have an A25 and a S61 Mk1 and I switch depending what I'm doing. The A25 is obviously more portable. This choice would affect any make of keyboard, not just the NI ones.

4. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Depends on how you play, personally I find 61 keys too limited but my desk won't fit a larger model.

5. M B

M B New Member

Thanks! putting two handed playing and keyswitches aside:

When playing "Strummed Acoustic 2" There are 3 important octaves (on the screen in kontakt), the 3rd and the 5th are the most important ones.

Can I set the 1st octave of the A25 to play the 3rd octave of Strummed Acoustic (on the screen in kontakt) and the 2nd octave of the A25 to play the 5th octave?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

I am obviously not awake :)

7. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I had to make the same decision but I bought the A49 and I think it's worth it you play different and will use the second hand. And only for arps with a low key and some high keys it was worth it. And like mentioned for kontakt also. Some sampled instruments play only on some keys cause the real instrument also don't has such high or low tones so you have to switch octaves a lot while browsing maybe. But for simple basses with not spread out notes you will be fine of course.

Uwe