1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

How custom-mappeable is the S5?

Discussion in 'KONTROL S5/ KONTROL S8' started by emzero, Aug 22, 2019.

1. emzero

emzero NI Product Owner

I'm looking to buy a new controller to use with Traktor 3. I have a very unique way of using controllers. I tend to override some default functions I don't use for custom mappings.
    In the past I used a Denon MC3000 with Traktor 2 with great results.

I'm getting back to mixing after a few years and I need a new controller. I'm looking at the S5 because it works out of the box with traktor and because it has a lot of buttons/knobs/faders (I don't need jogwheels and pitch faders).

But I'll be looking at overriding some default functions. Is this possible? Can I just take the default mapping and modify it? Or do I need to add the controller as a generic MIDI and start from scratch? And by doing that, do I lose integrated features like the deck displays?

Are all the controlls MIDI mappeable? Can I also map the different light colors of the pads?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. Qwert19

Qwert19 NI Product Owner

The s5 is discontinued for tp3. If you wish to remap it then go ahead and join the struggle found by many on here getting it all working.

3. emzero

emzero NI Product Owner

Are you saying the S5 doesn't work with TP3 out-of-the-box? Unbelievable...

• Like Like x 1
  4. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

The S5 works fine with TP3. It's no longer being sold, that's all.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. emzero

emzero NI Product Owner

Oh ok, thanks.

And what if I need to modify some buttons? Would I just be able to go to the settings and make the modifications needed just like any MIDI controller?

6. Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh NI Product Owner

I believe that custom mapping has been implemented for the S8 and D2 but not for the S5 in TP 3.1 but i could be mistaken. Check in the Traktor update section when and what they introduced.

7. emzero

emzero NI Product Owner

8. shamoo!

shamoo! NI Product Owner

I would suggest you try Bone midid translator. Create virtual cables and have its inputs and outputs feed traktor. It basically sits in the middle of the S5 and traktor and swallows all the midi data from both programs. You can then convert that data in anyway you want before sending it onto the S5 or Traktor.

It takes a bit to wrap your head around, but if you have experience with midi messages you should pick it up. I had great success in the past with using a K2 and some Akai LPD8 with an old traktor setup.

If that sounds like to much hassle, stick to what you know :)

• Like Like x 1