How do I export a groove or pattern from Kontakt?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Musonic, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Musonic

Musonic New Member

I've been searching for hours now and it's really destroyed my inspiration. Kontakt is a great product, but the advanced controls can be bewildering for the average user. I'm so frustrated at this point I could scream! I realize this may not be the best way to get help, but there HAS to be some way to do this....

In Kontakt, there are a few drum machines I really like, for example "Concertmate Drum Kit". Most of them have preset patterns (or grooves?) you can trigger by pressing a note on your keyboard. This is great for live stuff, but for recording it is almost useless. I want to export the pattern of choice to my DAW, e.g., drag and drop that whole pattern as a MIDI pattern to my MIDI track in my DAW. I've been screwing around with this for hours, going through every single option and editor, and I just can't figure it out. Is it even possible? I can tweak everything else to the point of absurdity, but I can't export a simple pattern? What's the point then?

You can do this with Studio Drummer rather easily: just pick a groove pattern and drag it to a MIDI track in your DAW. In fact, I've created patterns with Studio Drummer and played them with different drum instruments.

If this is possible, please let me know, so I can stop obsessing over this. :eek:

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Studio Drummer is scripted with that feature in mind. However, on older products that are preceding Kontakt 5, you cannot do it like that - instead you have to enable Kontakt outputting scripted MIDI notes in Kontakt's Options->Engine->send MIDI to the outside world dropdown. Then you can record Kontakt's output as MIDI directly.

3. Malacai Kenji

Malacai Kenji New Member

With the new version of Kontakt 5, or the free Kontakt player, you click the "midi" circle button near the bottom right of the interface and can drag it into your DAW. I'm updating this answer because I kept getting this page while searching how to do it :)