1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

how do i setup blackhole to sample external source through maschine?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by StarSMASH, Mar 22, 2020.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

Having trouble with this. I was trying to understand is from this video, but it confused me even more with how he explains it. I have my MK3 routed into my scarlett in a feedback loop and these are my settings. I initially understood it as choosing the inputs in the aggregate device in the audio midi setup and the outputs as the multi outputs, but then just clicked them all since it didn't work and then changed the master sources. at this point, i'm just guessing which settings to choose. I know these settings are definitely wrong in the pictures since i have my MK3 as master multiout and master aggregate device, but i am getting input into my MK3 but no output.

my goal is to external sample from my scarlett and into my MK3. What should be my master clock source and why? i am still reading on it, but would lilke to fundamentally understand. i had no problem using loopback because it included visuals of the routing.

Attached Files:

2. StarSMASH

I got it to work with lots of fiddling and this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

it doesn't seem to matter what i set as my clock source in audio/midi setup though.
    I changed my system preferences input to aggregate device, and output to multioutput device.
    The only thing is, i can only record samples from my computer or record from external source(ie. google chrome, itunes) when the setting in maschine is "aggregate device" and have to switch to "multioutput" in order to hear the playback in maschine. I remember not having to switch anything constantly using Loopback and i can record into anything as well as playback from any source as long as i routed it initially and can mute any double monitors. Is that not possible with black hole?

edit- and now it's not working even with the same settings. not sure wtf is going on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Loopback works a little different, it's a lot easier but also expensive, if you own it, use it instead.

No. You dont need to switch.
    1. With BlackHole I think order matters in Audio Midi Setup app, you need to set your to interface to be the first thing on the list, disable it and re-enable it to reorder. Also, add relevant names to the 3rd and 4th IO not mandatory but helps understanding things.
    2. Set your system output to be the Multi-Output Device.
    3. Set Machines Device to be the Aggregate Device.
    I can hear everything through the speakers and sample system audio, no playback issues or switching. The thing I don't like is you lose the volume +- controls from the apple keyboard for you it shouldn't matter because the scarlett doesn't support that anyway...

Attached Files:

4. StarSMASH

no, that's exactly why i didn't buy loopback. it was expensive, but i worked wit hthe 20 minute time limit until static appears but it is annoying now.

i have these settings applied and i'm not getting any input to my MK3. i selected the interface first, then blackhole. I do not have "blackhole" as an option in maschine. Do I need to set my MK3 as an aggregate device or a multioutput in the audio/midi setup?

Attached Files:

5. StarSMASH

i see that i missed your step about labeling them which i did, but now every time i try to choose "blackhole" as the input in maschine like in the second pic you have, maschine freezes. happened at least 5 times now. it has also crashed my maschine and logic several times and i'm now wondering if it was the file i downloaded (got it off of github)

Attached Files:

6. StarSMASH

i finally got it. For some reason, every time i set the input as black hole in maschine, it freezes, but then when i reopen maschine it is already set. i have to keep doing that just to get these settings which sucks.

i also chose my interface first, then MK3, then blackhole in audio/midi devices. I understand your personal settings didn't include the MK3. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

7. D-One

Well... Github is the official way to download the blackhole driver, make sure you're on the latest version v0.2.6
    https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole

The only difference I see from my setup and yours is in my System Audio I have:
    Output: Multi-Output Device
    Input: Aggregate Device.
    See if that fixes the crashing.

(BTW In case you don't know you can Option+Click the speaker icon in the top menu bar to change the system settings)

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. StarSMASH

Thanks a lot.

It works really well, but I get very random audio card drop outs and it’s weird. Everything will get randomly disconnected and then I will even unplug and plug in my audio card and absolutely nothing happens until I restart logic and maybe restart my computer. I have to restart because it won’t even let me choose any other audio device in logics preferences (never experienced that before). Before I do that, if I choose my Scarlett as my audio card in system pref. Then my sound will work, but if I choose anything related to blackhole (aggregate device or multiout) it will not work. Not even audio from Google chrome will play.

9. D-One

No problem.
    Well, keep in mind this is not even a version 1 release, so there's probably bugs.
    There's this note on the website:
    "If you are using a multi-output device, due to issues with macOS the Build-in Output must be enabled and listed as the top device in the Multi-Output." Try it.
    If it doesn't help then create an "issue" in the GitHub repo.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. StarSMASH

oh i see. huh....so i gotta choose my "built in ouput" first aka my computer speakers??? that's weird, but i'll give it a try