Record Modulation / Automation in Maschine

Elena
Elena Member Posts: 35 Member
edited October 2022 in Maschine

I want to record in Maschine 2 the Cut-off modulation for a synth.

Everything seems very simple in the manual, except that...nothing happens. I follow the steps and Maschine does not record the modulation. I also tried to open the Automation page within the Sound region and to enable Host, but it looks like there is only a MIDI button, the Host button is missing.

Any advice here anyone? Thank you.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Are you pressing the Auto button while adjusting the cutoff? (hold and press the auto button while adjusting) If you want to pin Automation Record, press Shift + Auto

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,353 Expert
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

The Auto button is on the Maschine hardware.

In the software you have to hold a modifier key on the keyboard while moving then control knob with the mouse (I think it’s ctrl on macOS).

From the Maschine software manual p. 373:

To record modulation for a knob in real time, click its outer ring and then drag it up and down during playback.

→ Your movements are recorded into the Pattern and will be recalled as the playback is looped.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Are you pressing the Auto button while adjusting the cutoff? (hold and press the auto button while adjusting) If you want to pin Automation Record, press Shift + Auto

• Elena

Thank you for your reply. I think I don't know to which button you refer here. Hope the picture below is relevant: In the Automation region (in Maschine 2) I only see Learning buttons and of course, the Modulation knobs. Can you tell me which is the auto button? Thanks a lot.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,353 Expert
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

The Auto button is on the Maschine hardware.

In the software you have to hold a modifier key on the keyboard while moving then control knob with the mouse (I think it’s ctrl on macOS).

From the Maschine software manual p. 373:

To record modulation for a knob in real time, click its outer ring and then drag it up and down during playback.

→ Your movements are recorded into the Pattern and will be recalled as the playback is looped.

• Elena

Found the button. It works! Thanks a lot.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

If you are using the software you don't need any keypresses or even to press record, just left click on the indicator line around a dial and move it while playing back, it will record your movements.

• Elena
    edited August 2022

Yes, thanks. I knew how to left click on the ring around the knob during playback, but no automation was actually recorded, until pressing the Auto button on MK3. And I didn't know the device really has a button for that, didn't look for it until now:)