How do you make the sound of lofi hip hop?

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by DJ RX-78, Feb 28, 2018.

1. DJ RX-78

DJ RX-78 NI Product Owner

I absolutely have the fact that I'm asking this question, but I've been stumped for YEARS now trying to figure out the sound. Chopping up samples and laying down breaks has never been the issue, it's been the part of taking a crispy clean sample and making it "sound lofi." I don't have a lot in the way of plug ins, still using Maschine 1.8.2 (using 10.9 OS X still on my laptop), and needless to say it's hard to make things work with these limitations and lack of knowledge. I've attempted to get around this issue by recording my samples on cassette tape, but I rather not have to go through such a lengthy process to create that sounds. I'll probably have to do so in the end, but it doesn't cover the other issue I'm having.

The other issue is I'm trying to get a better handle on side channeling after I learned how to do that through FL Studio. It honestly blew my mind away hearing my kicks sort of push down the sounds of the samples so the drums came through more. I have absolutely no idea how to make that work with Maschine 1.8.2. Yes, I've watched the videos on youtube, and no they didn't help all too much, hence why I'm on here now asking. I'm hoping people on here are willing to share some tips on the matter.

Ultimately I want to better understand how to get that lofi sound, under stand it better in terms of production and sampling, and most of all have it be something I can make work in Maschine 1.8.2 (R247).

[​IMG]

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

You can make lo-fi with anything... Lot's of ways to do it. The core of it are effects that:
    • Lower the bitrate
    • Lower the sample rate
    • Add distortion/saturation
    • Emulate Tape, Vynil, old hardware, etc...
    You can go a step forward and buy any cheap hardware with recording capabilities like a cassette recorder for example, record your samples to cassette then record back to the pc.

3. v00d00ppl

v00d00ppl NI Product Owner

My EPS 19.5 kHz with max freq settings on 6.67 vs Decimort 2. Look how close I can zone in just by using the resampling knob and freq deviation and filter knob.

First loop is untouched. Second loop is EPS. Next loops are all just decimort trying to simulate the EPS.

4. DJ RX-78

I was incredibly lucky to find a video on youtube that basically boiled down some compression techniques that have helped a bunch with the overall sound of my beats. Since I'm still using a mk1 and 1.8, my options are kind of limited, but thanks to this video I found that creating an input with a compression and bit of maximizer goes a long way. The end result is a sidechaining technique that helps my drums blend more smoothly through samples with emphasis. The only downside with this technique is individually having to filter certain elements if I choose to add certain effects on top. It's like the heavens opened up and gave me the answer I had always been looking for.

5. Dallon426

Dallon426 NI Product Owner

Maschine has a bit reduction that is pretty good. Also has sn sp-1200 engine that's good as well.

D16 has an excellent plugin as well
    https://splice.com/plugins/4410517-decimort-2-au-vst-by-d16-group

That's the sound you want. 12-bit
    22khz or so. No compression techniques, etc will get that sound. Only bit reduction effects sound authentic. Which is nice cause back in the day you had to own an old sampler to get that sound. I bought an emax just for that sound and then sampled my samples into my Mpc.

6. Vince Rooney

Vince Rooney New Member

7. Yitao_CrossOver

Yitao_CrossOver New Member

I personally use Roland SP-404 to get that lo-fi sound after making patterns on the MK3. Also, you can use plug-ins such as RC-20 Retro color after using any bitrate/sample rate reduction plugins. But I prefer hardware over software. Sound on the hardware is just pure.

8. Dallon426

Dallon426 NI Product Owner

The hardware is just digital conversion. Same can be achieved with some bitcrush programs and then some. You can dial your sound in way more. To my ears one of the best hardware lofi samplers is an emax... And of course the sp-1200. Most everything else just does not come close.

9. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

I don't want to get long winded as I can go on forever about this....but

The methods easily done via software OR hardware:

Hi-Pass filtering to taste (I like in the 18k neighborhood)

Absuive compression - infinte ratio, long release.....chain the sample or leads/melody parts to the kick <<<< This is achieved MUCH easier in a DAW environment

White noise (vinyl and tape hiss)

LFO (wow and flutter of tape emulations are all LFO/pitch modulation based)

experimenting with volume automation can give you nice results for drop outs

distortion plugins, very conservative use IMO...this is subjective but I shoot for "natural-?" lo-fi (if that makes sense)...like worn tape, dusty vinyl, transistor radio etc....too heavy handed with the distortion starts to lend to a contrived industrial sound...which might be your thing.

use cheap synth emulations (too many to name...Plogue PortaFM is a good one...the DX7 plugins like DEXED or Arturias DX7 V are good and my secret weapon is POLY 850. There are some freeware ones based on the c64 SID chip too....these give you really cheesy sounding chords and leads.

and for samplers...IMO, for lo-fi, the SP-202 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all

10. DJ RX-78

11. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

Otto biscuit...

12. Trashbbx

Trashbbx New Member

13. outerphase

outerphase New Member

I'm just using a bunch of speed/tune imperfection plugins, automating bpm, cutting frequencies on the master (notch on 11khz is great).

14. skhm

skhm NI Product Owner

Do some basic chords in f minor. Put some jitter on the pitch bend. Add some vinyl crackle. Get the cheesiest drums possible. Lay down a wonky sloppy boring bassline. Record your beat on a cassette. Done

15. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

16. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team