How do you put a block inside a stacked macro?

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by Lomacar, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Lomacar

Lomacar New Member

Hi. I'm trying to have a step sequencer where you can set up multiple patterns and then switch between them easily by pressing MIDI notes. I learned about stacked macros and I thought I could just use multiple step sequencers to hold each pattern and then put them in a stacked macro so that it doesn't take up a massive amount of space. The best sequencers are part of the Blocks system, but it seems like they behave by different rules and ignore stacked macros...

2. colB

colB NI Product Owner

I would do this a different way - stacking multiple copies of a high level complex structure in a stacked macro is not ideal for various reasons.

A better approach IMO would be to use a snap value array in combination with an event table to hold all the pattern data, and write some logic to store and retrieve patterns. There would be different ways to implement this depending on how your instrument is designed and how the GUI functions.

3. Lomacar

Lomacar New Member

That sounds complicated. I don't know how to do that. Why not used a stacked macro? What causes blocks to ignore the stacked macro?

4. Michael O'Hagan

Michael O'Hagan NI Product Owner

Blocks use instrument level containers, instruments will always appear in the panel and cannot be placed in a stacked macro in that way.

Stacked macro's are for holding/organizing macro level containers.

Ensemble > The whole reaktor patch
    Instrument > There can be multiple instruments in a single ensemble, instruments will always be visible in the main panel.
    Macro's & stacked macros' > modules inside of the instrument, macro's can be made hidden and displayed inside of stacked macros, stacked macro's can show & hide macro level objects only.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 3
  5. gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider NI Product Owner

I blame N.I. for choosing the term blocks while these are just instruments .

Because...marketing ...
    Four years after the release of reaktor 6 , some people are still confused

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Can't just call them instruments though - all Blocks are instruments, but not all instruments are Blocks. It was just an unfortunate name choice :)

Module, Macro and Cell were all taken already, same with Instrument. Block is an obvious choice, and makes a lot of sense. Just unfortunate that it's a commonly used generic term, so confusion to the max.
    What might the alternatives have been?

• Like Like x 1
  7. gentleclockdivider

True , I am just saying that few people ( at least those not into building stuff) realise that blocks are instruments .

• Like Like x 1
  8. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Yes.
    It's also common for folk to assume that macros are blocks !
    I guess it's unavoidable to some degree. Reaktor is a Programming environment. There is always some necessary level of domain specific language in any technical area like that. Another common one is folk arguing that Reaktor is object oriented, purely because you connect visual 'objects' using wires.

9. gentleclockdivider

What I am trying to say is that all the substructures in reaktor are embedded within the program, be it instruments , macro's , core macros , core cells etc..
    Blocks are not , they are just instruments adhering a certain standard , it's not really a subset hardcoded in the reaktor program itself .
    This is where I believe the confussion comes from .

10. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Block in stacked macro.png
    It is possible to bring the innards of a Block in a macro and then in a stacked macro. It is an effect in progress.
    But I warn you it's a lot to do.
    In this fx it is the only 'Block' in slot one only. There are more than 40 other effects in four slots.

11. Lomacar

Lomacar New Member

Thanks. That makes things clearer. My next thought was about copying the innards of a block into a macro, but I guess that could be a mess. I don't have time to figure this out. I was just looking all over the internet for a decent step sequencer where you can trigger patterns by playing MIDI notes, but apparently a decent one does not exist. So I thought I could maybe do it quickly in Reaktor. Somebody else made something close but it has two problems. The first is that it requires the DAW to be playing to trigger the patterns. I figured out how to change that behaviour. But the second problem is that it uses snapshots to store the different patterns. Well, I thought it was a problem but maybe not. I thought I needed to use the Clock block, but I just figured out I don't even need that. The issue with using the Clock block and snapshots to hold the patterns is that I had to use the internal clock of the block if I wanted to trigger the sequence on the fly, without the DAW playing, which meant every snapshot would have to be updated to match the tempo of the DAW. But I just figured out I can use the Tempo Info Module with a Clock Osc module to get the external tempo. So I don't need to worry about tempo per snapshot, so I guess this solution is adequate, and I won't bother with stacked macros.

12. Lomacar

Lomacar New Member

Actually, storing patterns in snapshots is a really dumb idea. It is a very clumsy way to experiment with making patterns when you have to store them in a snapshot every two seconds.

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Splitter works with pattern

14. Lomacar

Lomacar New Member

What is splitter?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Splitter 1.2 ensemble comes with Reaktor. It's in the Legacy Library.
    There is SQ16 and the engine in it.
    Legacy Librarys\Library Reaktor 5.9\Ensembles\New Additions\Sample Transformer
    upload_2020-1-30_10-0-54.png

• Like Like x 1
  16. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Sorry for the plug :) but have you tried the toybox free pack blocks: toyboxaudio.com

They are designed exactly with what you want in mind. Small-format sequencer blocks with a built in clock so that several blocks can be triggered from a controller or another sequencer. Just connect a midi block to the sequencer’s “play” port. There are 16 and 32 step versions and they can be chained together for any length of sequence. Each one also has 8 storable patterns that can also be selected with midi or the modulation inputs.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Right spoken David.

18. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Select 8 different patterns of a 32 Step sequencer with MIDI:

Screenshot 2020-01-31 at 12.56.05.png

Set 'MIDI CONTROL' start note on the options page of the buttons block, you can then select the patterns of the sequencer using MIDI notes:

Screenshot 2020-01-31 at 13.07.35.png

Or alternatively trigger 3 different sequencer blocks using their 'PLAY' ports, with 3 different midi notes:

Screenshot 2020-01-31 at 13.01.12.png

All these blocks are in the toybox free pack.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Catman Dude

Catman Dude NI Product Owner

Wham! Brilliant stuff, again, David!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lomacar

Lomacar New Member

Hey, I'm finally checking this out. Thanks for letting me know about the Toybox. The buttons block looks handy, but I can't get it to work with midi selection, despite your instructions. Does a Note In block need to plug into the Buttons block somehow?

I found the Bento 16x4 user block which supposedly allows selection of different patterns, but I cannot modulate the pattern selection at all. It has a section that lets you sequence the patterns into an uber-pattern so to speak, and it seems to obey that and ignore any modulation I try to input.

UPDATE: OK, the problem with Buttons was that I was using an MPE device. I set it to regular MIDI mode and now Buttons works. I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve what I really want though. Because the Toybox sequencers all do very specific things you have to combine them together to get something resembling a full fledged sequencer, and it is tricky figuring out the right way to make them be in sync and then rest and play together when a note is pressed. I'm still figuring it out. It would be nice if the other more sophisticated sequencer blocks out their could just have multiple selectable patterns too.

Oh, and it is unfortunate that the MIDI control for the Buttons block is chromatic. What is the easiest way I could make it just map to white notes?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020 at 12:57 AM