How do you record tracks from vinyl to wav getting that cd clarity and crisp sound?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by Coert_E, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

Hi guys

Can you pls help me on advice to record my record collection to wav,
    getting that clear crisp CD quality sound.

I was recording it through Traktor , but the sound from the vinyl doesn't sound clear on wav as other CD trax.

How can I get my vinyl collection to sound as clear as CD trax when I record to wav?

2. kenny_ttgroove

kenny_ttgroove NI Product Owner

I've tried to find out an easy and good wat to do this, the best I've found is to use Wavelab, even mp3 with 320 quality sounds very good to me.

3. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

It highly depends on the needle and the audio interface. Basically, you want to have a dedicated needle just for digitizing your vinyl. Go from your turntable directly into a sound card that has a phono input (e.g. NI's Audio 8 or RME's RPM).
    Record with your favorite audio editor.

4. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

I have a separate turntable with a different cartridge just for ripping vinyl actually.

I'm going to experiment with Audition and Audio 8 to see how the quality comes out.

5. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

I did some testing with Adobe Audition tonight.

I set the Audio Wave In settings to CH IN 1|2 and I could record vinyl from my turntable no problem.

I chose CH OUT 1|2 as the Audio Wave Out settings and I could playback after recording throught the A8 and it sounds good.

Make sure to checkmark the option 'Use in Edit View' when selecting a wave out device. If you don't it won't switch audio devices on playback.

NOTE: I'm currently testing the gain controls in the beta driver that will be released in the near future.

I recorded with 6db gain which provided a nice recording level within Audition. This is with a Shure M44-7 cartridge.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get real-time output while recording. I can't hear the incoming phono signal while recording only when I play it back.

6. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

The same happens in Sound Forge for me. At least is works.

7. Anthony More

Anthony More Forum Member

is it possible to record phono signals (rip vinyl) directly into
    RME HDSP RPM?
    ON RME website they say;
    The turntables do not play audio but time code to remote control dedicated DJ-software (DigiScratch, PCDJ Scratch etc.)

Anthony.

8. skkatter

skkatter New Member

According to the RME website you can. The HDSP acts as a phono-preamp.

9. rekh

rekh Forum Member

you will never get cd-clarity or the clarity of a commercial MP3 from vinyl ..

but you will get good results when using a hi-end needle, vinyl cleaned of dust and other dirt, record with a good interface (Audio 8 i.e., keep peaks at around -6db, normalise later). after recording use some kind of mastering limiter just to cut of the highest peaks but without stressing the musical information ..

if you're hardcore like me you'll redraw the waveform where pops and clicks are (these are the peaks most of the time) and when you've done all that normalise the recording. that way you will gain a lot of volume ..

... but it's more or less impossible to get it like the master file, because of vinyl degradation (or flavour, if you're into that)..

10. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

Yes I recorded several tracks from vinyl using the Audio 8 & Traktor Scratch but all of them doesn't come near the clarity as mp3's that I downloaded from Beatport.I used Ortofon Qbert needles and recorder at average 10db.

11. rekh

rekh Forum Member

you can never get that sound because of the vinyl degradation. Vinyl is a destructive medium, even though it sounds good (well actualy "musical" is the right term, whatever that means), it doesn't sound as clear as the master recording, that you can get more or less uncompromised at beatport and other mp3/wav stores ..

12. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

yup, same experience here.

vinyl rips sound a lot more *muddy* than CD rips.
    it's the combo of dust and little scratches that makes you think a vinyl sounds *warmer* ;)

13. rekh

rekh Forum Member

well actually it's the mastering process involved that does it, and the limitations of the medium in frequency range that is more pleasent for our ears ... :)

14. Real_Blackroom

Real_Blackroom Forum Member

I use Soundforge to record the direct input from the Audio8 card. I also use the 6dB option. After the recording I remove obvius pops and clicks, the smaller crackles I leeve as they are as it would degrade the sound to much trying to remove them. After that I correct the sound according to taste and also fixes the volume level with Waves L3 Multimaximizer and a modified preset "CD master". A word of caution is to not over do it as that destroys (flattens) the sound of the recording. I am overall very satisfied with the recordings I have made. I Can put up a part of a recording I have made later.

15. rekh

rekh Forum Member

agree with mr blackroom (aka dual range, tja nihad från 99an här ;) ...

it's better not to overdo the recorded stuff, especially if you have a nice mixer with good preamps like a-h xone, you can compensate the rms level with the gain control without loosing that musch in SNR ..

16. Real_Blackroom

Real_Blackroom Forum Member

OT and in Swedish; Tja Nihad!

17. Anthony More

I send an email to rme techsupport and they told me i could
    record with it, so skkatter you were right!

18. gblr_Tf

gblr_Tf Forum Member

This is my Recording-Setup:
    Technics 1210 Turntable > Shure M97xE Stylus > Audio 8 DJ Soundcard > Amadeus II Recording-Software (on Mac); It sounds quite good but i'm still testing for better results.

I also use Bias SoundSoap 2 for denoising … Has anyone experience in other denoising software?

19. Anthony More

I also use Bias SoundSoap 2 for denoising … Has anyone experience in other denoising software?[/QUOTE

I bought clickrepair, and had very good results!

20. johnnyoso

johnnyoso Forum Member

go to a audio store and buy a hifi element for recording your records. dj elements can never give you the quality that cd recordings have..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.