How do you record tracks from vinyl to wav getting that cd clarity and crisp sound?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by Coert_E, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

element?

do you mean cartridge / needle?

2. johnnyoso

johnnyoso Forum Member

yes i mean cartridge/needle.

these are not for back-cueing so you will automaticly have one dedicated cartridge for recording purposes only.

for instance the grado gold is a good price quality hifi element.

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

(click on cartridges and choose the prestige gold/silver)

in my case i heard sounds in my vinyl recordings that i`ve never knew were there...

3. djaftashok1

djaftashok1 New Member

i use CD Spin Doctor (mac users)

this comes with Toast Titanium 8 software

has filters to remove pops, hisses, you can even EQ the entire recording

use groove glide to clean my record and a new ortofon needle with my numark dxm digital mixer...

sounds pretty good

4. haka

haka New Member

I was going to use Audacity as my recording software however
    it doesnt seem to pick up my Audio 8 sound card?

The only other software that I have to record on is Ableton
    however am not sure exactly how to do this?

Is ableton the best for achieving quality?

Also one of the other forum users suggested against going
    directly from the record player to the Audio 8 as the phono pre amp amplifies freq at around 8khz and tends to make things a little sharp?

I am running mac book pro 2.2ghz with 2gb ram.

Can someone give me an idiot proof method for ripping my vinyl to my pc as I dont want to get through a hundred records and start again.. thanks.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Forum Member

How good of a job do the USB turntables designed specifically for recording do?

6. fella

fella NI Product Owner

They come in handy when you only have a onboard soundcard, or nothing else to plug your TT in.
    Expect no quality recordings from these tables, due to the poor cartridges that comes with 'em.

Use a SL/OEM turntable with a good cartridge for ripping vinyl.
    When I rip vinyl, I get my concorde pro cartridge, and switch the needle for a dj needle(the blue one).
    I get very clear and crisp recordings.(also tested with the audio 8)

7. antb

antb NI Product Owner

Hi mate,

I have the same setup as you , just got Amadeus Pro aswell, it seems I can 't adjust the input gain high enough to record , can you explain exactly how to do this.

cheers

8. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

my ripped vinyl (wav) sounds really crap compared to mp3 downloads that are ripped to 192kpbs that I download from sites.My Recording setup: Technics SL1200 plugged into Audio Dj8 Channel A. Qbert dedicated recording stylus. using Traktor Scratch internal recording option.recording set to Channel A.

9. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

How do guys like Hawtin & Liebing rip their vunyl so that it sounds even better than a donloaded mp3 or the same as a downloaded wav from beatport,.What do I need to do with my setup?

10. GarySan

GarySan NI Product Owner

@Coert_E

Sorry Dude, u'll never be able to obtain better sound than a wav downloaded from beatport with ur vinyl rip.
    Even with the best cartridge, the best hifi turntable and the best soundcard...of course u'll get a freakin good result, but never as good as the original.

It's all about format loss here.
    When u buy a release on wathever online shop, u get a master rip, with already a small loss of quality due to mp3.

And talking about Hawtin or wathever known producer, don't think they get the promos sent to their house and spend hours recording, reworking, tagging, sorting all the content!
    they just get the trax directly from the producers or the label, most part of the time by AIM, that's all...

WAV, AIFF, FLAC and a master rip and ull get the best of what the guy did on the track.

11. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

@Garysan

I have watched several dvd's that interviews for instance Steve Bug and Liebing and they said in the interview that they rip some of their old vinyls.

I have heard plenty of Chris Liebing's sets where he uses ableton and use tracks that are ripped from vinyl (That I know is only available on vinyl)that sounds just as good as a track downloaded from beatport etc.

12. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

Some of the best DJ's will obviously use tracks that they have ripped from Vinyl in their sets.How do they get them so crisp and wav-beatport-like

13. GarySan

GarySan NI Product Owner

lol, if it's only available in vinyl for the average dj doesnt mean that producers will only have it in vinyl!
    Do u know what a dubplate is?
    Why do u think everybody now mix with CDJ or DVS?
    Of course the guys will record their old stuff...but dont think that they wait for the vinyl release to play a new track in a gig.

Anyway, ur question is more than legitimate and i dont want to spoil the original discussion about how to get the purest sound as possible with a vinyl.

Track exchange work just a lil bit different from what u think

14. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

Duh! I know they have their own networks in which they exchange their music that isn/t released yet.And of course I know what a dubplate is.I know that Hawtin has a person dedicated to rip some of his older tracks to digital platform so stop questioning me.

15. GarySan

GarySan NI Product Owner

So stop asking things when u already have the answer u genius...

Anyway then back to the topic

16. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

I wasn't asking questions about that.

I was asking questions relating to the topic

17. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

Garysan where did yoiu download this driver Audio 8 driver 2.2.14

18. GarySan

GarySan NI Product Owner

From the NI Service Center

19. gblr_Tf

gblr_Tf Forum Member

Well, you can't control the input level within Amadeus, you have to open the Audio 8 DJ Control-Panel instead and rise the gain there (+6db steps).

Bye the way: Now i also use ClickRepair for declicking, which works really well. However i don't use SoundSoap anymore (tooks too much time, removed too much sound).

20. petetaylor1973

petetaylor1973 Forum Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.