How do you record tracks from vinyl to wav getting that cd clarity and crisp sound?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by Coert_E, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphx

Graphx New Member

How do you get/access this panel? I've just bought Traktor Scratch and installed everything and I don't have this:(

2. simeonrw

simeonrw NI Product Owner

The best way that Ive found possible to rip my vinyl is to get a very good preamp and cartridge/stylus. I record at 32 bit 96khz and get as close to 0db on my levels. I then convert my files to 16 bit 44.1 wavs. This is all done in Peak 6. Peak 6 allows batch converting so the process is much easier. It also allows batch converting for mp3s. Everyone seems to be setting their levels to -6 db and then normalizing. But why? Unless youre going to do any processing get your levels as high as possible! 32 bit increases your headroom ALOT so you can get pretty close to 0db and not have to worry about clipping.

3. nikflewlow

nikflewlow Forum Member

Would like to know that too...

4. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

@ last two inquiries: You both need to state your system specs and how you have everything hooked up. and what you have tried and where you have already looked. please be detailed.

Im looking for my ts manual.

5. signaturex

from the audio8 manual

►On Mac OS X, double-click on “Applications” > “Audio 8 DJ Driver” > “Settings Tool” to open the Settings Tool.

►On Windows, select “Start” > “All Programs” > “Native Instruments” > “Audio8 DJ Driver” > “Settings Tool” to open the Settings Tool.

6. nikflewlow

nikflewlow Forum Member

Just figured it out...the 2.2.14 Installer has this app in it, the 2.2.16 Installer doesn't! So install 2.2.14 first, and then update the driver ;)
    And now BTT!

7. signaturex

8. signaturex

for ripping vinyl I am using a Vintage pre-amp/ampifier sansui 2000x. From there I use the pre-amp out-put jacks so I can utilize the sanui's buttery eq circuit which luckily is very clean on this unit. From there I Input the signal into the two unbalanced instrument channels of my DBX 386 tigital tube pre-amp/AD converter. the DBX has a certain type 4 high headroom design which decreases noise substantially and allows me to push the volume very hard without clipping the digital signal. The 386 produces recordings that are very large sounding with very little distortion this might be likened to a HOT sounding analogue tape. Very good unit.

From the 386 I route through a digital stereo XLR cable to the aes/ebu channel of my motu traveler. It connects through firewire to my Macintosh and it also acts as a mixer to monitor the sound of the Record signal and output that to my monitor speakers.

From the traveler I record in one of three programs ableton LIve, Bias Peak, and Traktor. Recording in Peak gives me an advantage of time management because I also split and edit the files for volume and defects in peak. From peak I can also compress the files to 320kb mp3. I have used traktor to do the recordings. But if I have messed up on the recording at all I have to edit it in peak.

I feel these record ripps are the best i have gotten from any system. I am considering an Audiophile type headshell/needle and tube phono amplifier to go before the 386. This may give me an even better sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.