How important are Graphic Cards when running Traktor

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by DaveSoall, Mar 11, 2012.

1. DaveSoall

DaveSoall New Member

How important are graphic cards when running traktor and maschine software?

Do they play a big part in running the software or not?

I am buying a macbook at the end of the month and not sure weather to spend the extra bit and get the better graphics card

one of the macbooks has

AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5

and the other

AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5

Thanks
    Dave

2. reilupitsa

reilupitsa Forum Member

welcome to forum

..i dont think that graphics card is used at all in a way you think...

...more important issues are processor type and amount of memory...and hard disk or exrternal disks speed...

but there's no graphic-card minimun needs marked on any specs...

of course i would take that 1gb graph mem...

: )

3. DaveSoall

DaveSoall New Member

Thanks for your reply.

the two specs im looking at are

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5

or

2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5

then i also plan on upgrading ram to 8gb but its cheaper to do after i bought i do believe

i take it both will run Traktor and Maschine togethor fine? But obviously the second is better, i think i will go for it if i can afford it.

although for the extra 200 for the second, i might as well when im looking at spending this much money anyway
    ---
    Also is the anti glare worth while?

I know my current laptop has it but not sure if i will be alright with out it?

and i prefer the look of the black around the screen than the silver.

4. reilupitsa

reilupitsa Forum Member

it seems that both will run in with no prob.

mac world is sooo much easier than pc /windows..

you will find official tech specs here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-scratch-pro-2/?page=2052

Mac OS X 10.6 (latest update) or 10.7, Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM

..i dont think that u actually need antiglare hire res bla bla...normal screen works fine - of course bigger screen is easier to use on gigs if you have to seek some tunes etc., but normally (with planned gig/ set) you just play with the deck/decs/mixer and laptop or mac is pretty much somewhere "close" where u can see which deck is playing etc..

5. to6ko91

to6ko91 NI Product Owner

the matt screen is definitely worth getting and about the specks get as high as you can afford as it will mean it will stay usable for longer

6. DaveSoall

DaveSoall New Member

ok thanks for your help guys. i think i will take a trip to the store to see the difference between glossy and anti glare then go from there.

7. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

terrible advice.

8. to6ko91

to6ko91 NI Product Owner

how so ?

9. malzfreund

1.) computers depreciate over a relatively short period of time (compared to, say, a car)
    2.) frequently, during production, computer components are binned. manufacturers charge extreme premia for the components that fall in the highest bin despite the fact that components in the highest bin are only marginally faster (say, 10-30 percent) than components in the average bin. e.g., a high-end mobile CPU that is 30 percent faster than a upper mid-segment mobile CPU can go for $500 or even a $1000 whereas the uppper mid-segment CPU goes for ~$150.
    3.) in most usage scenarios (i would certainly include traktor and machine here), subjects do not notice performance differences of less than 30%.
    4.) manufacturers use slight differences in specs for price differentiation (which increases their profits).
    5.) apple is known to push price differentiation to an extreme. it is often ill-advised to purchase things such as RAM upgrades or HDD/SSD upgrades from apple. almost always, the upgrade in the after-market is substantially less expensive.
    6.) many upgrades are targeted towards consumers that lack the expertise to make good purchasing decisions. they buy things such as 8GB or more RAM because they think "8 is bigger than 4 so it must be better" without having any need for it.
    7.) "Moore's law." roughly speaking, it states that computing power doubles every two years. this together with the other stylized facts explain why it makes sense to upgrade more frequently rather than to buy top-of-the-line products with lower frequency.

you see, i didn't wanna write an essay so i gave you just a list of some of the things that lead me to conclude you gave poor advice.

i would advise the OP to buy the mainstream product and use the money saved to upgrade his laptop much earlier. on average, he will have a much better specced laptop if he buys a mainstream machine every 3-4 years than if he buys a high-end machine every 5-7 years.

particularly, i would recommend OP goes for the first spec he listed. if i was him, i also wouldn't go for the RAM upgrade.

(EDIT: the matte screen is worth getting, though. but both configurations listed come with the matte screen anyway.)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  10. oldgit

oldgit NI Product Owner

That was a really interesting reply with a lot of goods points

11. to6ko91

to6ko91 NI Product Owner

i am well aware of all of those points and the apple price policy but i just looked and the 2.4 model is 400 quid more than the 2.2 ... well thats apple :D
    i should have probably made myself more clearer go as high as you can without going into the overkill zone (in apple case the prices starts from the overkill zone)

12. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Forum Member

There's really no point in getting the best of the best if you're just running traktor. Some people are running it on very aged machines. A macbook pro beginning model is plenty for just traktor use.

Graphics cards don't make much a difference at all for traktor, any standard video card that comes in a laptop today will be more than enough, especially in a macbook pro as lots of graphic designers use those for software like photoshop.

Processor and RAM are most important and a 2.2GHz quad core and 4GB of ram is ace for traktor.

I'm running a dual core with 4GB and have no problems.

13. DaveSoall

DaveSoall New Member

thanks for you help, think im going to go for the cheaper model with the hard drive upgrade, and then do ram later as it is about 40-50 pounds outside of mac and they want 160... what a joke.

then i am going to go to the shop and decide about the anti glare screen or is this near enough a must?

also the extra pixels in the screen sounds appealing as it will be able to display more.

14. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Good thead. I have kinda come to the conclusion that most issues for traktor are the windows processes and not so much the specs of the system.
    I think maybe graphics are an issue with some sytems(windows) but it is not the card it is the processes happening that cause the issue.

But as we all know those issues are all less or not at all with mac.
    So you will probably be just fine.

15. DaveSoall

DaveSoall New Member

Yea it is just windows my toshiba laptop 4gb ram 2.4ghz dual core i5 runs traktor and maschine at the same time no problem. it just has problems like doesnt keep a stable synced tempo between the software and also i have a fear of the pc blue screening or crashing on me..

16. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

I always though that good graphics cards had their own, on-board RAM?

So a graphics card with on-board RAM free's up your computers own RAM for audio processing...

17. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

@vinyl

Yeah That does make sense. But most the issues users are having with windows laptops are due to processes (mainly the huge amount of them)
    things like battery montioring. updates wifi montioring. really anything that windows directs its resources to that are uneeded for traktor. This could include a graphics issue. but truthfully I disable the themes in traktors properties and I am pretty sure the graphics is just fine. It is not like traktor uses 3d rendering or some major thing like gameplay.

But yes you could be right saying on some windows machines the graphic card could be an issue. But it would most likely be due to something other than traktor that is running.
    My opinion of course I am not the expert here.

18. sengaia

sengaia Forum Member

So true
    best comment of 2012 so far:D

19. malzfreund

Just to clarify, I posted ITT to oppose to6ko91's view that one should go for the highest specs one can afford. As computer technology advances fast, that is rarely a good idea.

But I didn't mean to imply that 8+GB RAM are always a bad idea. 4GB is certainly enough for the typical DJ setup of traktor + machine. But if you wanna use the computer for extensive production, running lots of (instrument) plug-ins that rely on large sample libraries, more RAM can be in order.

In DaveSoall's case, I would start with 4GB. If it doesn't suffice, an upgrade in the aftermarket can be done cheaply. Also, it's not difficult to upgrade RAM by yourself.

Again, I just wanted to clarify that in certain studio usage scenarios, more RAM may be required.

20. to6ko91

to6ko91 NI Product Owner

thanks for that but all i meant was the highest someone can AFFORD not the highest of the highest bins... and with 8GB of ram i still manage to run out of ram in some cases when heavily multitasking (and lets be honest but ram is fairly inexpensive these days)