How long did it take for you left and right hand to seperate...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by YO Q, Jul 23, 2019.

1. YO Q

YO Q New Member

I am having problems when I finger drum, my brain syncs my left and right hand. Can you train this to be independent.? I hope I am making sense. basically lets say I use my LEFT hand on the pads for the kick drum and snare. and use my RIGHT right hand to repeatedly hit the high hats, It's like I can't separate lol I end up doing the same thing as the left hand, I really hope this makes sense.

Has anyone had this issue and trained to make the hands work independent from each other? is go how long did it take. Or am I just screwed for trying to do live session since I can't separate my hand rhythms at the moment..

had to edit got my hands wrong. L/R fixed.

:(

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  2. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

it depends on your own brain. it's all about training. wheather you are learning a new language, a new instrument or other "unfamiliar things" to your brain, you (your brain) need time to learn/train.

do it as often as you can and you will get better. i "learned" fingerdrumming in the early 90s - not on an mpc but on my roland workstation, where i was jamming out drumbeats on the "keyboard-keys". so i'm quite used now to do different rhythms on both of my "bodies sides"...so to speak.

keep on jamming.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. YO Q

YO Q New Member

I hear ya! I am practicing everyday, I really hope I can separate soon. if I can't I guess no live fingerdrumming for me lol at least I can still mess around in parts and in steps so that's cool! I want to add the keyboard next. I'm having fun with this. I still have a lot to learn.

4. Michael Hazdra

Michael Hazdra New Member

There are 2 secrets. 1) Start very simple patterns. 2) Start with very, VERY slow tempos. Do not even think of going faster or more complicated until you can go slow and simple without mistakes.

If you are having problems. Slow down and only gradually speed up after you can do it slow

example: kick, snare, kick, snare at 30bpm. start there. when it is perfect. try 32 BPM

Side note: 21 repetitions is the basis for learning. Do a slow simple pattern 21 times each day for 21 days.

• Like Like x 4
  5. YO Q

YO Q New Member

Thanks for the tips! sounds legit. I appreciate it and I will use that Method!

6. Stephen Bish

Stephen Bish NI Product Owner

It's the same thing when learning guitar or piano. Probably the same thing when learning to knit too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

I'm ambidextrous. My problem was more how to get left and right work together so kind of the opposite. Just do a lot of table drumming everywhere, try to drum along with stuff you hear around it. And practise very slow patterns before you work on speed is a good tip. If you play fast, mistakes don't stand out as much so you don't really learn to not make them. There's no shame in using the metronome either.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lars Daniel Terkelsen

Lars Daniel Terkelsen New Member

Exactly. I will ad one thing that I learnt from my brilliant teacher in cuban rhythms: Truncate patterns. Example: Start with the first quarter of a 4/4 pattern and pause for the rest of the bar. When that is fluid, then add a few note notes, and practice until fluid. Eventually you will have the whole bar.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Liandri

Liandri New Member

For me it still depends on the beat's difficulty :)

10. selig

selig NI Product Owner

As a life long drummer, there is tons of material to help with independence. Some of it is for kit players and includes their feet, but much is about L/R flexibility. That is to say, you're not alone! Many have traveled this path before you and contributed a lot of information - all of it won't apply to you so you will have to search to find the methods and techniques that resonate with you personally. Many of the exercises you'll find for feet/hands can be easily adapted to L/R hands, so dig in and get in the headspace to work through a little frustration for a big payoff. :)

11. eye776

eye776 New Member

You're no longer a child so your brain is a bit more resistant to learning new motor skills, which means you will need more practice.
    A keyboard is not always necessary to practice, you can do it by tapping your fingers against your legs, or on a table, wherever you have some downtime.
    Doesn't have to be overt movements for people to think you are crazy either. :)

12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee NI Product Owner

Well, she was kinda thicc...:eek:

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Wear a headphone while you train your fingers and no people think you are crazy either.