1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

How many of us use iTunes as our primary DJ collection?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by chris_in_london, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutekk

nutekk New Member

blow tunes

never used it, and never will.

2. sweeney.b

sweeney.b NI Product Owner

i just use Tracktor to orgainise and make all my playlists in it to and just export it and download the odd track from Napster which now give you 256kbps and DRM free

3. mjmac

mjmac Forum Member

+1 love itunes and would love to see better integration with traktor...

cant work out why soo many negative comments about it, not sure if its just an apple hater club thing or much more than this? Either way id much rather drop files in dynamic folders that i can simply rearrange at any time... doing this in windows / os x finder is a complete pain as if you wish to have a file in two locations you need to copy it there... no duplication needed with itunes...

just because you use itunes doesnt mean you have to download files from the apple store either... i love beatport and many more online stores as they have upfront tracks and in 320k mp3 or wav :eek:)

4. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Yeah iTunes is 256kb, although I don't use a lot of m4a

5. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

oh well, the holy apple company! lol
    i'm not down with their policy, that's for me personally one thing, but the way more important to me is that i'm absolutely desperating, whenever i'm forced to use a macbook, iphone or itunes. things just dont flow there for me. whenever somoeone talks about the "easiness" of the apple workflows, i'm always scratching my head.

please use whatever you want to but please dont force me to work with apple products.

i use the traktor playlists... of course not the finder/win explorer.

6. mjmac

mjmac Forum Member

native girl i dont think anyone here is forcing you to use apple products and feel the tread is going off topic...

the original question was about using itunes as an organisation tool and if traktor could integrate better with it... i dont think thats too much to ask - as there are lots of ppl using itunes these days...

7. aviray

aviray Forum Member

iTunes is consumer application and it is ridiculous integrating it into Pro application. Specially that Apple notoriously drop support for a lot of stuff, Firewire is the most infamous example. They might do "upgrade" or replace iTunes with whatever else and all you iTunes fan boys/girls will be f..d.
    It is ridiculous request that NI developers should tie their software to whims of primary consumer oriented company.

8. lethal_pizzle

It's obviously not as ridiculous as you think, because NI have already stated it is coming up, check the 'on the record' forum

9. chris_in_london

chris_in_london Forum Member

First up, thanks to everyone who has posted so far, even the haters! Some interesting points raised.

iTunes playlist import has been a feature of Traktor since version 2! NI obviously think there is some value in it, as they have continued to develop various iTunes integration features.

I take your point, but NI have done similar things with Traktor on each new version, sometimes on minor upgrades, too. They removed the reverse button, the button to lock the sync-offset, current playlist without any warning. They also changed the looping functionality, made major GUI and FX changes, and revised browser behaviour etc etc. So NI/Traktor is no better than Apple/iTunes in that regard.

Hear hear! And here it is: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showpost.php?p=632669&postcount=9. That is very encouraging! I do wish they would poll registered users more often for their feedback on proposed changes, instead of it always being 'secret', though. It means some nasty surprises too often.

So, for those of you that DO want iTunes integration improved, what are your thoughts? Here is my top 3:

1. (of course!) Option to have artwork in the iTunes node (there are various ways this could be implemented without a big processor hit, such as checking if tracks in iTunes node have already been imported to main Traktor collection, and if so, display the stored artwork).
    2. Option for ALL tags (except artwork, perhaps) in main Traktor collection to be updated as per iTunes library when Traktor is launched (currently Traktor seems to read all the tags on import, but some such as star rating then become independant, and do not update if rating is changed in iTunes)
    3. Addition of Artists/Releases trees, as per the main collection.

What are your top 3 wants?

10. JuriV

JuriV Forum Member

I used to use iTunes for managing my tracks, but now I am switching to Traktor and I don't use iTunes anymore on this Macbook. One library for Traktor, and done.

11. aviray

aviray Forum Member

That is like product placing in movies. The only explanation for it would be Apple paying for it in one form or the other ( mac Pros and MBPs for NI employees?). Otherwise that whole promotion of iTunes does not make much business sense.

12. Dj Tomek

Dj Tomek NI Product Owner

Itunes all the way

13. lethal_pizzle

Sorry, I completely disagree. iTunes is integrated because it is the the most popular media player on the planet, backed up by the most popular online music retailer on the planet.

Hope I don't come across like some Apple Fanboy. I'm not.

14. aviray

aviray Forum Member

No you dont, just as naive.
    iTunes is not the most popular media player on the planet and even if it was it does not matter. Ford Fiesta might be the most popular car on the planet but that does not mean Schumacher is going to drive it for that reason.
    There are plenty of softwares some of them free that are much more reliable and efficient to do what iTunes do poorly. Why should NI throw thatiTune rubbish at all users just because some are too lazy to install, learn about existence of better stuff.
    Traktor is not home user software, it is for professionals = individuals who earn money playing music for public, we dont buy Creative or Terratec just because they are the most widely used soundcards.

15. lethal_pizzle

But NI are Aviray.

So who's naive?

16. Drunkenmoose

Drunkenmoose New Member

same here,i use itunes as primary collection

17. mjmac

mjmac Forum Member

i dont think anyone here thinks itunes is the be all and end all when it comes to music management software... and there is probably lots better out there... however, ive not found any... and for professionals using it as a tool is not a bad thing is it - what sets a pro app apart from a consumer one?

for an all round package it aint bad and ive used a lot worse in the past.. sorry to bring windows media player into this but its not as good as itunes. but can agree wmp has some tricks up its sleeve that itunes could do with having!

maybe someone could start a new topic informing us all of alternative music management software thats much better than itunes!

18. Simon L

Simon L Forum Member

+1 to iTunes and I might add I've never had any issues with iTunes to Traktor.

19. mjmac

mjmac Forum Member

Nor have i... but i wished it could update traktor collections when the origin play list exists in itunes... So when traktor opens the collecitons created from itunes playlists are sync'd - would make an easy workflow!

however, i do recall in the past traktor doing something like this and it did work well... so long as all your mp3 tags were good... any corruptions in the tag data and traktor would crash on open!

i found that beatport sometimes used weird text characters in the tags that traktor didnt like... this was cool if you only had a few new tracks to sift through... but a complete pain if you had 100s!

and obviously at first i didnt really understand why traktor was crashing... it took ages to work out what was causing it...

so maybe traktor the way it works with itunes currently might be a good thing?

20. chakktheripper

chakktheripper Forum Member

-1 .. i'm quite open minded regarding use of software .. but itunes is one BIG no go for me .. to many restrictions for my taste

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.