How to get crisp/clean fonts on MAC

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by Sacha, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Sacha

Sacha Member

I am using Pixelmator, of course I could still try out Gimp, which I haven't, as I don't like it so much, and all my previous work is in Pixelmator now.

However I am working on a Retina 15-inch (2880 x 1800), and I wonder if anyone can tell me, how I can get crisp fonts, would Gimp manage to do so better than Pixelmator, as the ladder seems to be super bad at font handling, when I see GUIs like Platter by William Rawls, for example, I go "ah, he used photoshop or illustrator" I guess at least.

Almost wondering if it's simply the Retina support of those apps or just the Retina by itself, no idea, but I just can't get it as crisp as in Platter for instance.

Anyway if anyone could tell me how to get crisp fonts, simply using Pixelmator or Gimp in conjunction with Knobman, which I also use and love by now, I would be super happy!

2. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

pictures of what you want might help.

personally i like 'bitmap' style fonts that are designed to work at a specific size, like the ones here:

http://www.dafont.com/bitmap.php

most important to me is that fonts don't take up a huge amount of space, and that they are legible. many of the fonts at the link fit these criteria for me.

(each font has two pictures - the small one is at the proper size, the larger one is how it will distort if you try to make them larger)

then you have to make sure that they are at the correct pixel size. for example, this font:

http://www.dafont.com/golden-sun.font

wants to be 8 pixels. so you could set a knobman file to have a height of 8 pixels and set the size of a text object to 100%, or you could have the file be 16 pixels high, and set the object size to 50%, etc.

3. Sacha

Sacha Member

So it's basically down to the font itself, and how about the antialiasing option in knobman for instance, shouldn't one turn it off for pixel fonts? However when I do so I get very unclear fonts. Any, thanks for the links, I will have a closer look and try, if I still don't manage, I will post pics.

Cheers.

4. salamanderanagram

you should be able to turn antialiasing off if you have them set to the right size.

5. Sacha

Sacha Member

IC, here is an example of using a normal font like Futura in this case...
    Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 5.38.18.png Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 5.37.43.png

I guess you all get this then if yo use normal fonts?!

6. Sacha

Sacha Member

That Knobman doesn't use pixels for fonts, or is that actually pixel size in Knobman?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  7. Sacha

Sacha Member

Well Knobman is not playing nice with me, when I save stuff now "non antialiased" and only "1x oversampling", the app saves the file but then hangs on the save dialog.
    This is bad and would require me to restart Knobman for each file I make and even if I make changes to a file and export to test, very annoyed by this. On windows all this used to be done so easily.

Of course the hanging might come from JRE entirely, no idea.

Also to get the font right in knobman seems to be entirely dependent on the font, meaning some pixel fonts seem to work better than others and then still it's really a game of finding the sweet spots, probably the worst sides of knobman as it's an awesome application and I can't understand why it's not being updated, I would even pay for that app, if they would add real font handling, which in my opinion is one of the most important aspects of GUI creation or not?!

Well I guess I will have to put in some extra hours trying to get the graphics clean :(
    Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 13.44.17.png

8. salamanderanagram

what font are you trying to use?

9. Sacha

Sacha Member

I tried many by now, and the one on the Hertz button for instance is Wendy CP by Wendy 10 px. Anyway it seems like doing or trying to do this is knobman entirely, as I was trying, is a bad idea, it doesn't give me any usable information about what sizes I am using definitely not pixel font friendly and it's sad because it would make things faster in many cases. In the end I am using 04b03 by Minecraftia, it's only 8 px, very small but crystal clear as you can see.

Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 22.44.40.png

Thanks a lot!