How to get two outs from a single output interface

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by scrambled_egg81, Mar 8, 2007.

1. scrambled_egg81

scrambled_egg81 NI Product Owner

This might seem a bit redundant if it's been posted here before, so apologies ahead of time, but it seemed to me to be a pretty important discovery.

So here's the deal:

I've been toying around with my M-Audio Fast Track for a while now, trying to get both it and my internal soundcard to show up in Traktor's routing options. (For those that don't know about it, the Fast Track initially shows up as a separate audio card and you won't be able to route both a separate preview channel and main output.) It was pretty frustrating for me to shell out $70 and not have extra routing options, considering the sales clerk told me that the device would be able to sync this way with Traktor. For the longest time I wasn't able to do a truly "live" set since I haven't had the option to preview/cue tracks, but I've found something that really works. (And for those of you that have single output cards/interfaces like me, this may be a godsend!)

Quick note: you need to have your internal soundcard set as your default audio device before attempting this!

1) Go to asio4all.com and download/install the program for your OS

2) Plug in your USB/Firewire interface

3) Open ASIO4All and make sure that the interface (NOT your internal card) is disabled (for some reason it won't register in Traktor at this point)

4) Close ASIO4All and open Traktor

5) Open the preferences menu, and go to Audio Setup>Soundcard and select ASIO4All

6) Click "Control Panel" to re-open ASIO4All

7) Now depending on your configuration, ASIO4All may have enabled your interface at this point. For my Fast Track, I have to go to the advanced menu and enable it manually. Either way the device needs to be enabled.

8) Go back to the Traktor preferences and click Apply

9) Now both your device and internal soundcard should be available for routing in the audio setup menu with Traktor.

Wheeee! :) I was pretty psyched about finding this little "sneak" if you want to call it that-if you have any problems with this particular setup, try closing & re-opening Traktor first, as that was what I had to do initially (though now it automatically sets up with this dual-configuration). Hope it helps!

2. scrambled_egg81

I'll bump this from time to time. :)

3. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Have you added this to the Wiki, yet? (link in my sig)

4. scrambled_egg81

can't load the page??? :O

5. instantreplay

instantreplay Forum Member

Scrambled_egg81, you, my friend, rock! I think this is going to help a lot of people configure their setups properly.

6. docydoc

docydoc New Member

asio4all mac os X

There is no asio4all for mac. Any ideas how to solve this problem on a mac?

7. kaaos

kaaos Forum Member

this is a nice lil tweak!;0

8. scrambled_egg81

oof-you might have to do some searching on yer own for that one. haven't touched a Mac since my Apple IIe. :eek: try looking around for something similar & ask on the Mac boards if anyone knows of an equivalent for ASIO.

9. gerryv

gerryv New Member

10. zgotts

zgotts New Member

two questions about this-

1)I bought a Fast Track Pro as well because I thought that i could use that single interface for two outputs (one for previewing tracks, the other for main audio output). is this not the case?

2) I set up the ASIO4All, but when i use that and set the proper routing the sound comes out very choppy. is this a memory problem?

11. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

zgotts:

1) Fast Track != Fast Track Pro

2) ASIO4All may or may not be useful on your system - it's an "at your own risk" item.

12. zgotts

zgotts New Member

ya thats what i have realized about ASIO4All....

fortunately however i have finally gotten my Fast Track Pro to work, and the whole set up is working beautifully!

thanks for the help though

13. scrambled_egg81

Yup-the Pro model is a true multi-channel interface, so the ASIO sneak isn't needed. I used the base FastTrack for cost reasons (an average of $75 more for the Pro). :)

14. zgotts

zgotts New Member

yeah it certainly is a solid interface.

i do however kind of wish ASIO4All worked for me. im a little uncertain if dropping 300 dollars (between the pro and a midi controller) to pursue a hobby was a great idea, especially considering im simultaneously trying to get serious about playing piano. i was looking kind of just to spend like 100-150 so i could fool around with Traktor when i had the time, now i feel like i made a major investment. im sure itll pay off in the long run though.

15. Mr-Cans

Mr-Cans NI Product Owner

Does this work for a hercules MKII also?

Does this work for a hercules MKII also?

Hope so...

16. scrambled_egg81

Not sure, but I wouldn't touch a Hercules with a ten foot pole after what I've heard about it on here. Post whatever outcome you have with it here!

17. khan.cross

khan.cross Forum Member

is this also possible with singe channel out on board sound karts?

18. scrambled_egg81

Not sure what Karts is, to be honest. :eek:

19. GustyMusic

GustyMusic New Member

I've got the same problem, I now still work with Traktor Studio 2.6 and i have used this guide;
    http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/aggregateaudio/recording.htm

i'm using U-CONTROL UCA202 2in/2outs usb/audio interface with digital output.

My aim is to have two sepretat sounds out.
    one to listen to the track and use pre-listing
    and another one to play the mainmix , without the pre-listing disturbing. i can't figure out how to do that.

20. djfuq

djfuq Forum Member