Solved How to put West Africa on the timeline!

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by tigerdyr13, Sep 25, 2011.

1. tigerdyr13

tigerdyr13 New Member

Hi!

I'm sooo excited about my new Ultimate 8 Collection, and is checking out the West Africa drum module. I love what it does - but I can't copy the patterns I make to the DAW timeline!

I tried to enable recording on the kontakt player track, but it doesn't catch any midi signals.

This should be an easy and simple feature - why can't I make it work?

/Kristian
    Cubase 6 on a Macbook Pro (OS X Lion)

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

You have to make sure Kontakt outputs MIDI to your host. Go to Options, and in the Engine tab check "Send MIDI to outside world". Enable "Script generated CCs" and "Script generated notes". Disable both "Incoming" options, or you'll get note doubling!

Now your DAW will record the notes played by Kontakt.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tigerdyr13

tigerdyr13 New Member

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately it didn't help ... still no midi input into Cubase! Any other suggestions?

/K

4. kb123

kb123 NI Product Owner

In addition to what evildragon said above, you need to create a midi track in cubase and set the input of that track to the output of the track containing kontakt

5. EvilDragon

I believe you will have to somehow set the track in Cubase to record the MIDI output of the whole track, not the MIDI input. It works here in Reaper, but since I don't know how would you do that in Cubase, I can only refer you to Cubase manual.

EDIT: kb123 to the rescue! Thanks, mate! :)

6. David Wise

David Wise NI Product Owner

go to options in Kontakt

select Engine

look for 'send MIDI to outside world' the menu displays 'choose options'

here you can select 'script generated notes'.

Alternatively:

In West Africa Instrument - set trigger to 'Notes', and make sure Sync (to host) is on (up position)
    Then record the midi notes that trigger the patterns.

If you need lots of different patterns, save the instrument under a new name to keep a unique set of patterns.

Attached Files:

7. tigerdyr13

tigerdyr13 New Member

Hi y'all! Thanks fo all your response! So cool you are so friendly and helpful!

In a way it seems to be Cubase I should be consulting - I did get a MIDI input when I made a MIDI track and assigned Kontakt 5 to it (but not when I made an "instrument" then I couldn't assign the output to anything)

But - the output (midi track) I get has way too many notes (I think) and how do I play it back without West Afica starting the pattern on top of the midi notes again?

I might be wrong - but I want to use the instrument this way:
    1) Make nice pattens (with good instruments)
    2) Record it to MIDI tack
    3) Edit Miditrack to fit my project (in DAW = Cubase)
    4) Playback miditrack using the über cool West African sound library.

8. daveleroy

daveleroy New Member

Did you ever get a reply that answered your question exactly? I have the same issue. And it's super easy to do with Studio Drummer. There's literally a drag and drop way of doing it. I just figured it would be built into West Africa as well but can't seem to find it.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  9. TheSuspect

TheSuspect New Member

One way to record the pattern for playback in a Logic track is to record the trigger keys as a midi notes in the Kontakt track. The West Africa interface shows on the keyboard at the bottom which keys control the various patterns. Put the track in record mode, hold down the key for the pattern you want and record away. You can set up various pattern changes by changing keys at any time. While this doesn't record the pattern of midi notes for each drum, it records the pattern for the trigger keys and so works for the track playback.

10. fusionid

fusionid NI Product Owner

need some help. I am unable to bounce a track with a west africa progression under Logic 9.

Any help is appreciated

11. fusionid

fusionid NI Product Owner

ah nevermind, I figured it out. You have to turn off trails. Loving West africa :)

12. Rok Kompan

Rok Kompan New Member

I can't seem to make this work.
    I get no midi recorded or there is double input (too many notes recorded).
    What am I doing wrong?

West Africa, Nuendo, no controller.

13. jorek

jorek New Member

The same problem I have got like uper (Rok Kompan). Presonus Studio One when I record on track than I have too much notes and it seems like disorder. Why? I made in Kontakt (options - engine) phrases "script generated CC's" and "script generated notes" of course "Icoming CC's" and "Incoming notes" were switched off. Trigger switched on HOST and pattern player synch. Midi chanel [A]5. On track (studio one 2) I have Output instrument Kontakt 5.5 CH1 and Input Kontakt 5.5 CH5. Only in that configuration I can record something but planty of notes more than are prodused by West Africa.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. AntonA1

AntonA1 NI Product Owner

My understanding based on a discussion with one of the mods here is that West Africa is an older Kontakt instrument and midi implementation is not up to spec (i.e. no drag and drop as with later products like Studio Drummer). You can't record the midi out put of the individual notes in the preprogrammed patterns, but you can record the keyswitch trigger note that plays the 'pattern'. Also, as noted, work around attempts to record midi of the individual notes in each 'pattern' result in a mess of extra notes. When it comes to this instrument, I would simply render the desired sound output to audio and import that to your DAW of choice, or route it to your DAW in individual audio channels and mix it there.

Some extra info here:
    vhttp://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5874676

15. jorek

jorek New Member

AntonA1 - Great thanks for your answer. I used so much time to test West Africa midi recording - I spent a lot of time. It is not right that NI producers do not informing about it. Maybe someone would not to buy that plugin. It sounds amazing but it is big difficulty if you can't use this on midi track as ready patterns for reediting in DAW.
    Thanks - jorek.

16. AntonA1

AntonA1 NI Product Owner

Yeah, I hear you Jorek. I spent a LOT of time trying to figure it out myself...

17. Julien Nakache

Julien Nakache New Member

18. AntonA1

AntonA1 NI Product Owner

Hey, good find...I just tried it in Ableton and it only recorded the one midi not playing the patterns, not the pattern individual notes. Then again, I wasn't clear on this step:

4) SET RECORD INPUT TO "Record Input (audio or Midi) DO NOT SELECT RECORD OUTPUT

?

19. DanRoberts

DanRoberts NI Product Owner

Just to confirm ... west africa does not seem to have the ability to record its patterns to a midi track w/o getting extra notes. In addition trying to delete notes to clean it up is a fairly futile task.

So either play the patterns as is with the red notes only (they play the patterns) OR record the audio of the pattern loops and use or chop up as needed. If NI is going to include this in new Komplete's (which they should as it sounds great) they need to update it to current standards imho

20. EvilDragon

Well, no. All you need to do is disable Kontakt's option to send MIDI to outside world. Then those extra notes shouldn't be recorded in your DAW.