How to set highest octave to sound quieter?

Discussion in 'B4 & B4 II' started by Umudo, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umudo

Umudo Forum Member

Well, i'm using B4 II with Mainstage 2 and a Gigatech HD audio interface. As the topic says, highest octave in B4 II sounds too loud. I tried using Channel EQ, but it makes the sound muffled.

And I know the distortion is not good enough for rock use, but i wonder is there way to get smoke on the water like sound with B4? I try 888800000, 122 closed, no V/C, no rotary,50% distortion but it's not that heavy.

2. BarnesVer6

BarnesVer6 NI Product Owner

I am not really sure about you top octave problem but if you want more control of distortion distortion you can try this.

Set the drive to minimum and select the DI option. You should now have a really clean sound. Now patch Guitar Rig (or some other amp sim) in the audio path. Play around with the presets and try inserting some distortion components such as Deamon or Screamer.

You can also try other distortion plug ins etc. There is quite good free ones out there from ACME Bargig and others.

You will also need to set the B4II's reverb to zero and add reverb in or after the amp sim or you will get weird distortion of the reverb tail.

3. Umudo

Umudo Forum Member

Thanks a lot Barnes, i'll try that as soon as possible.

4. geoelectro

geoelectro NI Product Owner

You can't set the highest octave lower in the application. However, here's a thought. What if you took a filter or even amp that could track the keyboard. Placed after B4-II, set it up so it would only filter or lower the volume when playing the keys of that last octave. That way, it wouldn't effect the rest of the octaves that sound right.

A second idea would be two instances set across a split keyboard. Set the last octave to the right hand side of the split and have that volume lowered.

Geoelectro

5. sleen

sleen NI Product Owner

sotw

1. compressor....no velocity anyhow traditionally

2. tonewheel leakage

3. trashy tonewheel set

4. research to see if jon lord modded his organ or leslie rig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.