1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

[How To] Setup Komplete Kontrol with Ableton Live for Smart Play of any track

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by JesterMgee, Mar 27, 2017.

1. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Can't get "what" to work exactly?

I'm probably not getting something from what you are saying but often I want things to sound how I play them?

I think possibly you are getting a little extended with what you want to do. My guess is you want the smart play function from KK to trigger a live track (non KK instrument) but you are not up to speed on how to do it? I would dial back and spend some time learning how KK works and how the MIDI routing works in Live a bit more.

2. sthmpsn1

sthmpsn1 New Member

So all I was trying to do is select Cuba on the KK. I want to record what I play in Ableton. Should be pretty simple. I can place the kk in a midi track. I try to assign midi to to listen. Your right. I’m confused from there. As I said I just want to record the output from KK to a track in ableton. Be able to play it back.

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Are you talking about Smart Play? Arps, chords, scales and such?
    When you say the 'output' are you talking about MIDI notes or Audio?

4. sthmpsn1

sthmpsn1 New Member

I think I am talking smart play and audio. If I choose a piano and played a whole song on the keyboard how would I record that audio in a track in Ableton. I went through the steps of what I thought was for recording for Smart play. I play and hear the instrument, and I can even see some notes. Most of the time I see the notes in the Komplete Kontrol input track. I never see anything written in the timeline of the midi I thought I was defining to recieve those notes or chords. When I simply hit play I never hear audio. Only if I am playing the keyboard.

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

If you having trouble simply recording any MIDI at all then really need to learn the very basics of Live. Go thru video tutorials, manual, etc...
    You simply arm a MIDI track with KK loaded on it, arm the track and press record, if it doesn't record anything then something is very wrong.
    To convert MIDI to Audio you create an Audio track and select the Output of the MIDI track containing KK to be the input, arm it, press record and play, and it will track out the Audio.

6. JesterMgee

Yeah sounds more like you need to learn how Live works and how to record audio, this is nothing to do with komplete Kontrol at the moment and if you were watching my video for tips, that ain't gonna help much since that is several levels in experience above where you are at.

You should literally just have to record-enable the track you are playing on, press Play+Record then start playing. Oogle around youtube.

7. Marcello.tontodonati

Marcello.tontodonati New Member

I found this thread by chance and I thought to give a go and ask here. I am new to Ableton live (coming from Reason) so maybe I am doing something which is wrong. I have no issues in setting up a track with KK and an instance of any plugin (I can record smart play and so on). If I add an effect/s to the instance (with the + in the next available slot) I can record the chain with no problems. What I can't get is to automate the parameters of the effect/s either within the clip or in the arrangement view. I have tried also to add macros in the rack instrument or using the configure (MIDI Learn?) but nothing seems to work. Any suggestion?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  8. JesterMgee

KK does not support automation of the effects within the KK plugin itself. It is apparently going to be possible, just not currently. Much easier in Live to just place effects in the channel strip.

9. Marcello.tontodonati

Marcello.tontodonati New Member

Hi JesterMrgee, thank you for your help, very much appreciated. I ended up with the same conclusion after a quite frustrating afternoon session yesterday, but I thought it was worth to try :)

10. lectrodave

lectrodave New Member

Is there a different shortcut to click "keyboard connect" on the mk2? "Shift+instance" doesn't seem to work.

11. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

Jester, thank you for the time you have put into this and your help, it's a great hidden work-around when version 2.1.0 isn't ruining it.. I just wanted to make note regarding #2 above.. You probably know this already being you wrote the tutorial over a year and half ago that when selecting a track with Push2 it will arm the the track if you hold the Select button in for 2 or 3 seconds without holding the REC button. I hope this helps.. Thanks!

12. MakingMusicIn2020

MakingMusicIn2020 NI Product Owner

Hello to everyone in this thread! Huge thanks to JesterMgee. I have a problem with step 5. I don't have the last option from the channel drop-down list shown in the 2nd picture ( with "Komplete Kontrol | Komplete Kontrol"), therefore can't set up my Komplete Kontrol as I need to. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

13. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

I’m not in front of KK at the moment, just make sure you are loading the KK VST…

14. JesterMgee

If you are using the AU version of KK then you cannot get smart play to record as AU does not support midi routing. That’s probably why and Logic probably doesn’t have the capability.

15. MakingMusicIn2020

MakingMusicIn2020 NI Product Owner

Huge thanks guys, the problem indeed was in a wrong plugin. BTW, is it a right behavior that sound previews in KK are too loud compared to the sound played in Ableton?

16. JesterMgee

The previews in KK have a volume control. If you are in the User library you will not see it for whatever weird reason but switch to the factory library:

upload_2020-4-5_8-44-3.png

• Like Like x 1