how would i decrease the "stab" on a guitar?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by StarSMASH, Jan 17, 2019.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

i know you're probably saying "wtf", but I want a guitar sample to connect to the next note while i'm playing the melody from pad to pad instead of hearing a harsh strike each note. How do i make it sound smoother and more legato? i'm using kontakt and experimenting with the attack, but due to user knowledge, it's not sounding as long and smooth as i'd like it to be.

2. Tomess

Tomess NI Product Owner

You can us an ADSR instead of an ADR envelope, and make the midi notes legato. With this, the length of the overlap between the guitar notes is the release value. Oneshot with cut group does not work in this context.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. StarSMASH

the option to switch from ADSR to ADR is present in the sampler, but i'm using the plug-in Kontour which doesn't have that option.
    Instead, I have the numerical values to ADSR to which I have to input manually to get what i want. I'm not knowledgable on envelopes at all and will have to learn them. Is there anyway to explain what that would look like ?

Attached Files:

• ADSR.png
      ADSR.png
      File size:
      403.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Tomess

Tomess NI Product Owner

I'm sorry, I don't own Kontur and don't know how this plugin works. :(

5. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

You could try using transient master and decrease attack while increasing sustain. Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. StarSMASH

This worked! thanks a lot guys

• Like Like x 1
  7. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

Right on. Another technique that might work is dynamic eq, or narrow band compression. With dynamic eq, you could set it to target the frequencies of the transient and take them them, only when they play, without affecting the body of the sound. This works well on guitar like sounds especially.

Narrow band compression is kinda similar in that you set the compressor to only compress a certain narrow frequency range.. great way to tame harshness or clicks. This is kinda hard to achieve with stock Maschine effects though. You'd have to route the signal to a separate channel, filter it there, then use that signal as the sidechain input on the compressor. It's also how a basic de-esser effect works, but it's useful in other ways too. I love it for designing drums. You can also a single band on a multiband compressor for this.

But of course the best way is to address it at the source. Kontour is a synth. I'm not too familiar with it, enough to know it's a bit exotic.. so it may not have ADSR, but there should be a parameter somewhere like that lets you affect the envelope.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. StarSMASH

interesting. thank you for teaching me another method. I just have to learn more about the different parameters a lot more in depth. I turned all of the parameters down one by one. I played in between to see if any of those parameters turned down had an effect on the transient and they didn't have the effect that i desired on the envelop in Kontour.