1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

How you would react if Traktor switched to a subscription plan?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Almaz, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Almaz

Almaz Well-Known Member

Friends, I would like to know how you would react if Traktor switched to a subscription plan? After the Pioneer took this step, many reacted negatively to it. I think $15 is really a lot to pay every month for just one music program, but if you made that payment $4/month, how would you feel about that?

Free plan:
    - 2 decks
    - hot cues, loop, beatjump avalable
    - without effects

Plan with hardware unlock
    - all functions, wich we have now

Plan Pro for the 4$/month
    - cloud library synchronization between computers of dj
    - streaming
    - Neural Mix Algoriddim (live stems)
    and many other features that will appear in the future

2. Mauri Moore

Mauri Moore New Member

please , don't give them crazy ideas , thanks

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. kokernutz

kokernutz Active Member

I'm fine with $50/yr sub. Are you doing market research for NI? ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Almaz

Almaz Well-Known Member

yes i am an undercover agent :D

if really, I’m just interesting opinions of DJs

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Almaz

Almaz Well-Known Member

why do you think this idea is crazy?

6. wayfinder

wayfinder Active Member

NO

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. wayfinder

wayfinder Active Member

real "teacher you forgot to give us homework" vibes here, what is wrong with you

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

I would react immediately, by moving to different DJ software. IT might even be a blessing in disguise, if it meant the software I'd move to allowed me to buy a S9/S11, 70/72 or Reloop Elite mixer..

Moving to a subscription model would be the last straw for me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

Well DjPlayer is subscription model based but finally something like 30 euros for 5 years... so that's cheap and a chance to going fast forward. Who knows how will be the landscape for djing in 5 years?

So it depends on the price vs specs I wonder.

• Like Like x 1
  10. alec.tron

alec.tron Well-Known Member

+1
    c.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Cheef Roberts

Cheef Roberts NI Product Owner

I paid £700 for an NI controller that comes with TP3. I don't want to pay more on top of that and I simply wouldn't update the software if this came into fruition.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mauri Moore

Mauri Moore New Member

because nobody wants to pay "extra money" , included me .

• Like Like x 2
  13. Almaz

Almaz Well-Known Member

yes, but with the purchase of Traktor controller, all the functions we use will also be included with the controller. I mean, by subscription, there are cloud functions and other extra capabilities (light, video, stems, streaming, synchronization between DJ computers, synchronization between DJs). That is, the classic way of DJing will not suffer from the subscription, but of course it will be on the conscience and adequacy of NI which functions they will include in the basic package, and which ones in the extra functions.

Why I raised this topic, because it seems to me that if a company can only make money on controllers in their business model, then they will only make controllers, but not a program. Now, if Traktor releases Traktor 4, we will pay $50 for the update and then we will receive free updates for 3 years, as a result, there is no time or money left for the Traktor. If Traktor introduces a subscription for extra functions, then they will have a monthly income that will allow them to improve the software, and not just sell controllers. o_O:rolleyes:?

14. Almaz

Almaz Well-Known Member

I just think that DJ equipment is not hotcakes and modern phones which people change evey year, DJs have been using their equipment for years and it is slowly aging. That is, if you bought the S8 controller along with the software in 2014, then this 1000$ went to the programmer and the team in the first month, and I consider this a failed business model, or am I wrong?

When I think, what if I would start writing some of my own software? I would do it by subscription.

We have a lot of services and programs that work by subscription and we pay for them, right? Here it is important to find an adequate price for the service. I am calm about monthly payments for YouTube, Spotify, Mega Drive, Apple Cloud, Sounddizz (36$/year), I even pay 1$ a year for applications for transport in my city, and it's all about the price, because all the services that I have listed are not exceed 5 $ per month, which is an adequate threshold for me, but for example a soundcloud costs 10$, mixcloud 15$, rekordbox 6 - 15$, virtual DJ 20$? (what?) - and such prices are high for me and I'm not ready pay 40$ every month for a beatport subscription, which has 20% of the music from spotify and we can save as many as 50 tracks offline....wow(no)!!! which for me is an inadequate price.

If Traktor releases Traktor 4 tomorrow and makes cloud and extra functions up to 5$ by subscription, I will subscribe without problems, but if it is 15$, I will come to this thread and I will express all my indignation

15. c0nsul

c0nsul NI Product Owner

I´m not a fan of subscriptions. I want to buy full functional software and I don't want "rent" software. I accept a higher price than before and I accept paying for main updates.

• Like Like x 3
  16. mr.Positive

mr.Positive NI Product Owner

+1

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

At the interview I often link I remember the Traktor Product manager said something in that line but not with subscription but purchases-in-app... like Serato I wonder.

I was paying (and gigging) the Djay Pro sub with spotify and it made some sense in that time (2019) but the model itself it's dead (and it was so-so legal) so let's see what world emerges post-covid...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Redz0ne

Redz0ne New Member

I still own and use a pair of Technics SL1200s from the 80's, I'd rather pay once and things last forever

• Like Like x 2
  19. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

do you realise how much work is needed on traktor to bring it up to the rekordbox or serato standard? traktor is done almaz cant you tell?

how ever if it was revived i would pay a subscrition £4.99 a month if i ever work again that is and return to traktor.

1. new browser
    2. unlock all pioneer controllers and mixers
    3. streaming
    4. neural mix eq
    4. a simple back up and restore process
    5. midi mapping for normal humans
    6. ect ect ect ect see my posts over the last ten years

i think there is 10 seperate feature request sections that have gone unanswered, 6 claims of a ground up rewrite and several threats to finish trakor 2 that doesnt even have folders at this point.

traktor is dead,

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

It was announced... probably it will reborn (if so) in the Traktor Dj 2 form but you will need to wait maybe too much until it gets some of the Traktor Pro 3 features (if so).

Shame.

• Like Like x 1