1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

How's the FM7 Manual?

Discussion in 'FM8' started by gmstudio, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmstudio

gmstudio NI Product Owner

I'm considering a purchase of the FM7, but I want to know how the manual is...is it just an overview of the features, or are there actually tips and whatnot on how to program this beast?

Thanks

2. insaneses

insaneses New Member

It will show you modulation basics, FM Synthesis basics, how to construct an algorithm.. etc.

It's no tutorial, but it does teach you the basics. Maybe someone else can give more insight.

3. chrysanthemum

chrysanthemum NI Product Owner

It's written by Craig Anderton. It's 40 pages of how to install it, then 30 pages that list half the features briefly. Then 5 pages about how to program an FM synth, doesn't really get into it much. Then 25 more pages that list the other half of the features briefly. Then it is all repeated 4 times in different languages. The end. Not much better or worse than the DX7 manual or any other synth manual - tutorials are pretty rare I think nowadays.

4. Baseman1

Baseman1 Forum Member

Must be one heck of a thick book...

5. NoisetonepauseSuxAss

NoisetonepauseSuxAss Forum Member

Due to non-linear and thus unpredictable nature of FM synthesis no matter how well the manual is written it won't be much help. FM programming is all about experience. THe more you mess with it, the more you learn. Luckily FM7 features some functions of linear subtractive synthesis (filters etc. Actually just filters... But very good filters) So it won't be as pain in the ass to get used to as say the original DX7. But don't expect it to be easy.

THere is of course a lot of information available on the web. Starting with pages dedicated to the original DX7 (DX7 resources, dave Benson's DX7 site etc) and ending with some very detailed articles explaining the science behind FM synthesis. THousands and thousands of patches too.

Best way to learn is to dive into the presets and see how they're made. Change values and see what happens. No manual can help you there. Only real experience with FM programming.

Not sure if this helps but here you go.

later,

.. and no matter how experienced you will become FM programming will always remain a mystery. :)
    Noiz

6. Baseman1

Baseman1 Forum Member

Yup! I fully agree it's the one and only way of mastering it...

7. Summa

Summa Sounddesigner

I'd rather start from scratch, since most FM presets are pretty erratic since when it comes to FM only a few ppl. exactly know what they're doing. Maybe that's why most of the ppl. think FM is hard to master, since looking at some of the presets of can drive you mad... ;)

8. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Forum Member

Well, here's a middle ground. Do both. Mess with presets and start from scratch if you want to apply/recreate anything that you've learned from presets (if anything at all) Starting from scratch is always a good idea. With any synth really.

Most folks that I know are into FM because of it's unpredictability. Getting a funny noise or unusual response from the sound just by changing what appears to be a linear parameter is what keeps them coming back for more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.