HP Mini-Note / Asus Eee PC

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by RhysPatto, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RhysPatto

RhysPatto NI Product Owner

Hey guys, anyone had experience with these new range of notebooks? They are so small that if they were capable of running standard GR3 patches at a decent latency it would b a dream to carry around instead of a full size notebook.

I can see the specs are quite low in both brands in relation to todays PCs, but to have one tweaked solely for GR3 use, would it be enough?

Lets hope so :)

2. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

I'd be interested to find this out as well, Rhys.

3. AusyRay

AusyRay New Member

I own the asus eee pc, and have been very tempted to use gr3 on it, however it does seem somewhat lacking in the processing department. (Not what i bought it for lol) its purely a glorified typewriter and internet browser for me. Fantastic bit of kit, but im reluctant to put windows on mine to try and play gr3 with it.

(p.s the eee pc is fairly sturdy, im pretty clumsy all in all and mine has fallen down the stairs on at least 3 occasions, coming out with minor scratches and a small crack in the casing but other than that it is as good as new.)

Highly recommended for what i use it for, not so sure about what we all want to use it for though... I would like to know if anyone else has thought this or gone a step further and tried it. If not then i might fork out for another and give it a go.

4. Fill Brisell

Fill Brisell NI Product Owner

This machine is so cool it doesn't even run Windows.
    This is why NI should take the step and make a Linux version of GuitarRig the sooner the better.

5. RhysPatto

Sure, Linux GR would be cool, but then wouldnt we just have many issues with hardware compatibility and host compatibility? Just a thought.

Anyway, AusyRay, is there any chance you can give up your glorified typewriter for a few days to do some GR testing on it? It would really help me, and I'm sure many others on here, answer this question.

6. AusyRay

AusyRay New Member

yes, I will get on it right away. Iv made sure i have my reboot disks to get rid of windblows if it doesnt run gr.

gr3 install files are on me pendrive. so we shall know by the end of today if it works, will post my findings asap

7. andrezuppe

andrezuppe NI Product Owner

Hi, I've got eeepc, with 2gb ram...
    Of course I've tried to install and Use GR3 o it!
    I've installed GR3 on my SDHC 16gb (not tried on SSD) and I have to say that I was amazed that Guitar Rig works on it, even if you have, in order to obtain better performance, to "overclock" your eee cpu speed to 900mhz using eeectl (not real overclocking becuause it should be the real cpu's clock).
    With this settings I experienced a good latency using RK2 (you can play with it without too much delay,), but it's almost impossible to use HQ because cpu in not so powerful.
    If you use not complex patches (lot of reverbs delays, split chains with more amps expecially) it works well on LoQ mode and you can play with almast all the built in paches inclued in GR3...

Bye,

ANDREA

8. stormyandcold

stormyandcold NI Product Owner

9. RhysPatto

Hey cool. Sounds somewhat hopeful atm.

I have seen a cheap Eee PC model on sale atm (I think its the older model perhaps?), its specs are:

Asus Eee PC Notebook White 7 WVGA, Intel Dothan Celeron M 900MHz, 4G Flash Drive, 512 OB DDR2, Webcam, Wireless 802.11bg and 10/100 Network (EEEPC4G-W0013) - Linux Pre-Installed, Windows XP Compatible

Other than the ram, doesn't seem to different to andrezuppe's system. Would this be capable of GR3?

Also, maybe the Native tech heads could help, or anyone else for that matter, but how necessary is the ram for GR3 to operate, whilst we are on the topic. Considering it would be the only application running, would it require more than 512mb?

10. andrezuppe

Hi guys,
    Stormyandcold:
    With my eeepc 701 (4g) using GR3 with RK2 I reach 10ms (it's written on GR3 control panel of audio/midi settings menu) using rigKontrol 2 drivers, which latency for me is quite confortable.

RhysPatto:
    It's my same system! I haven't tried GR3 with 512mb ram, but I think that only 900Mhz (celeron, not Pentium3) is not so powerful with a small amount of ram. I suggest to upgrade ram.

Just a note, an example: using my EEEpc (ram 2gb), connected to RK2, playing with guitar the patch "Pink Numb lead", 10ms latency, no pop and cracks and 31-32% cpu usage in Loq.

Bye

Andrea

11. stormyandcold

Just a quicky for people contemplating getting an eee pc to mess around with...

The soon to be released atom version (eee pc 901) is less powerful than the current cpu at the same mhz so I suggest getting the 700-900 version and not the 901.

12. RhysPatto

I am seriously considering buying one of these Eee PCs now, unless someone advises against it, but another question (i guess directed at andrezuppe)...

The model you have (The 701 4g), has a resolution of 800x480 on a 7" display correct? Can this manage the GR3 interface?
    I know how everyone loves the GR's brilliant window-resizing capabilities :confused: , an I've noticed the 'Small' option is 635px high, making it bigger than the Eee PC's resolution.

Also, can it handle fullscreen mode?

13. stormyandcold

I don't own one but I've browsed the forums for a while.

The eee pc supports higher resolutions than the screen can physically allow by using modified drivers.

Browse the forum to learn more http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=15318

You may have to squint a bit but gr3 is usable :)

14. andrezuppe

Hy Rhys,
    Yes I must use GR3 on my EeePC 701 ONLY with modded video drivers... use resolution @ 1000x600x16bit. It works perfetc on full screen... I will post you a screenshot directlyfrommy eee ;-)

15. andrezuppe

Photo: GR3 on my eeepc 4g!

As promised i made directly a photo! If you want more images ask me! Bye guys

PS. My eeepc is running @ 900mhz (full) 2gb ram and with modded viedo drivers @ 1000x600 - Using RK2 10, ms latency

ANDREA

Attached Files:

16. RhysPatto

That is a BEAUTIFUL sight andrezuppe, i think i'm sold!

At the moment I am pricing between two different stores, one who upgrades the ram to 2gb and the other is at 512.
    Do you think it is worth a shot to see how the 512 goes with GR3, or do u think there is not a chance in hell an I should just get the 2gb?

I'd really like to push making the *cheapest* GR3 rig possible, lol, not only as I don't have a huge income, but also just to see how cheap it can be done.
    I'd be using the Eee PC with either my FCB1010, if I need pedals, etc, or with my homemade switchboard (made from a USB keyboard) which would be so compact with the cute little Eee PC, lol....

17. RhysPatto

Another thing andrezuppe, could you send through a photo of the PC while its it Live mode? Just wouldn't mind seeing how it would be on the 7" screen, thanks

18. andrezuppe

Hi Rhys tomorrow i will make experiments for you (i will try to replace the original 512 mb ram and run GR3 with this) ;-) And I'll also post you a photo of live view....

Andrea

19. andrezuppe

GR3 review on EEEpc 4g

Hi RhysPatto, hi guys.. Here I am...
    As promised I replaced my 2gb 667 corsair bank with the original factory shpped 512mb Ram: I'll write here a little review...
    Configuration I used: GR3 (of course lol),RigKontrol2 and my little eeePc4g.
    As I said some posts before, I have installed GR3 on my turbo adata 16gb SDHC, cause I've got a lot of things on my eeepc... So I think that if someone is planning to use eeepc expecially for guitar rig, I suggest to intall it onto SSD, it should be more performant.
    I direclty tried to install GR3 using my 2gbram and I was quite well impressed, so I now tried to put on my "old" 512mb ram and I must admit that differences are very few! Using eeepc @ 900mhz (with "eeectl" to bring cpu to full speed) I played with GR3 about an hour trying dfferent presets, everything worked almost well (latency is still 10ms with my rigkontrol2).
    Of course, on complex patches pop and drops appear, expecially if you add reverbs and delays. Stayng just under 50% cpu usage I think is the maximum limit to have a clean sound not affected by pops.
    With eeepc is almost impossible tu use Hiq, wich brings immediately cpu to overload also on simple presets, so forget it, this is my advice, but our GR3 sounds very good also on "LoQ", and I think that EeePC, on my opinion, has got a surprising result wich I didn't expect at all!
    Eee PC Temperature goes up, but stayng on 55°C-56°C (advice: put your fan at 90% speed lol)

My opinion:
    Considering Eeepc a Netbook, born almost to surf on internet play some videos and do office work , for me, it passed GR3 test, of course if you don't have to play with complex patches!

Hope to have been helpful with this review... Here there's pictue of GR3 live view on Eeepc!
    Bye,

ANDREA

Attached Files:

20. JayT

JayT NI Product Owner

Andrea,
    GREAT review. Thanks so much. It's tempting to look into an Eee now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.