1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

hum loop with laptop power supply

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by sputnick007, Feb 27, 2013.

1. sputnick007

sputnick007 Forum Member

I remeber seeing a thread regarding this probem.
    I have had similar problems but I`ve cured it by using an extension lead and disconnection the earth lead, I`m not over keen on doing this but it works 100%.
    I was talking to laptop manufacturers tech guy who suggested puttin ferrite cores on laptop mains lead but this had no effect whatsover.

2. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

3. sputnick007

sputnick007 Forum Member

Thanks, I`ll get one

4. sputnick007

sputnick007 Forum Member

Having trawled through loads of posts on different forums it seems that the laptop power supplies and mains hum are quite a large problem.
    Although there are devices out there to hopefully eridicate this problem at output stage, surely the problem should be eradicated at the source of the interference and not allowed to get into the output.
    As I said in previous post I have cured it at source by disconnecting the earth lead but I don`t know how this would stand in the PAT testing regime.
    There are no metal parts externally so why have an earth lead anyway.
    Somewhere on the forums I found that one laptop supplier supplied their customer with a two pin only power supply to cure his problem.

5. djivobutnot

djivobutnot NI Product Owner

The best way to deal with this issue is to remove the ground pin. Depends where you live, and what is the power system, you can always find simple extension-type of thingy with no ground ports.
    Of course, the best case scenario is to have a laptop power suply without ground - with just two pins.