1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

I have to keep re-analyzing songs...

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by somethingblue, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somethingblue

somethingblue Forum Member

anybody have an idea why this might be? I'll have Traktor analyze some mp3s and it never works. First of all, to do a folder of say...30-40 tracks, it takes around an hour. When it finally does it get done, I can switch to another folder or restart the program and the MP3s won't be striped anymore. I have to reanalyze everything. Is there a simple thing I am missing? I also made sure my collection isn't in read-only mode. thanks.

2. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

did you try to manually save your trackcollection once in a while?

rightclick on track collection => save

you can also do this while analyzing...

3. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Did you actually /add/ those files to the collection? If you simply analyze out of the Explorer tree, it will *look* like it is all working properly, but the analysis won't be saved.

4. somethingblue

I haven't tried saving the collection manually but I will do it now and hope it works. :)

Re: The explorer tree...
    do you mean I should analyze from a playlist rather than the drop-down from the explorer within Traktor, the actual explorer.exe? I dragged and dropped some files from explorer when I first started the program and realized that was probably not the best method to go about it.

I spoke to some people at the club tonight who have the program and they say a track only takes like 2-5 seconds to be analyzed. My tracks are taking upwards of 5-10 minutes per track, and my processor usage is always hovering around 75%, but Traktor only reports about 25%.

I used to use Traktor 3 for mixing beatless MP3s at a loungey weekly gig and it worked like a charm. I am wondering if TS just chooses to run like crap on my laptop. Thanks for your help so far.

5. djdrixx

djdrixx NI Product Owner

They are totaly wrong.
    It takes also some minutes over here to analyze a track and everything goes well.

6. th0rax

th0rax Forum Member

if your laptop needs minutes to analyze tracks with TS then there's definitely something wrong - my old Centrino takes no more than 15 seconds, unless you are analyzing a 2hr mix (which I don't see an obvious reason for)...

about the re-analyzing issue:
    ALWAYS WRITE the extended tags after analyzing the tracks - this way, even if you change the location of the track or the file's name, the analysis will remain the same and the waveform will display (unless u decide to alter something in the ID3 tag)

7. somethingblue

thanks for the tip. I am going to write everything to ID3 now.

Yeah, it takes forever to analyze a track, and sometimes it takes 30 seconds+ before the track is actually playable in the deck after i drag it onto one. I'm thinking I have a computer issue.

8. djdrixx

djdrixx NI Product Owner

When we speak about analysing track do we speak about computing the bpm and store the waveform display?
    For me this process take more than 15 seconds. But It doesn't matter beceause it is a process that I do once for all at my place and not during a gig.

9. somethingblue

When I speak of analyzing, I speak of literally bringing a new track into the collection, then analyzing it to get the stripe, time length, etc.

Normally, I do all this stuff at home before a gig and will continue to do so, but its pretty sad when I have to cue up about 40 tracks and go to sleep, hoping it will be finished by the morning. I could manually sync them up in Ableton in about 1/5 of the time.

10. AudioRapture

What are you computer's specs? Do you have your tracks on an external drive?

11. somethingblue

Sony Vaio Notebook
    2.4 Ghz Pentium 4
    80GB Internal Hard drive (5400 RPM)
    1GB memory
    Windows XP Home SP1
    Traktor Scratch (1.0.0), Audio 8 DJ (v1.6.4 / high latency)
    I can't think of anything else that might be useful.

12. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

my money is on audiorapture:

Did you actually /add/ those files to the collection? If you simply analyze out of the Explorer tree, it will *look* like it is all working properly, but the analysis won't be saved.

exactly my first thought. btw, analyzing a track should not take longer than a few seconds, even if you're playing sth at the same time.

13. somethingblue

Yes, all the files are added to the collection.

The really odd thing is, I can load up Traktor 3 and it will analyze and tag tracks muuuuch faster than TS will. I can analyze a track in about 30 seconds to 1 minute, and tagging takes about 20-30 seconds per track. If I try doing the same thing in Traktor Scratch, well...the results are far worse. I was worried that its my computer, but I am thinking maybe its the program.

14. th0rax

th0rax Forum Member

I don't think you are right on this one...like I said, I have a 4-yr old laptop and the analysis does not take more than 15-20 seconds if there is nothing playing...if the decks are playing, then it takes more time, but not more than 30sec to a minute...

TS does a stellar job analyzing tracks, unlike TFS 1.5, where you definitely had to leave it doing its thing overnight because the computer was pretty much useless once analysis started...

with that said, I am not sure where the issue lies, but it's not software-related, from my experience

15. somethingblue

normally I would agree with you, but it doesn't make sense when Traktor 3 does the job okay and Traktor Scratch does the same job about 4 times slower. I'm not saying its a bug with the program in general, but something in the program doesn't jive with my computer setup.

16. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

please contact the support. the analysation times you experience are definitely not normal, therefore you should check with the support what's going on wrong there...

17. little thumpa

little thumpa Forum Member

I'm having a similar problem to Somethingblue..

Excuse the fact that I'm completely new to DJ software :confused:

I have been analysing my tracks from the TS explorer window folder by folder (mainly WAV files) and re typing the "Artist" "Title" "Genre" etc and then highlighting the tracks and adding to collection.
    When I re-open TS I find that none of the tracks have been analysed or have the details that I'd changed?
    Is it not possible to add track info to WAV files in TS?

I also have a few tracks that get a warning in the bottom right of the screen sayings "ID3 tags could not be read from 'Root Folder' " Whats going on here? These tracks will not let me make any changes to info?

Can you please type out a simple step by step process on how I should get my music files on my HDD to my TS Collection so they will stay there. I have followed the manual with no success..

Note: I am not having any issues with the time it takes to analyse - about 5 - 10secs on average.

Thanks,
    Warwick

18. AudioRapture

Wrong order. You have to add to the collection /first/, then edit the tags.

19. little thumpa

little thumpa Forum Member

Cheers dude, will give it a crack over teh weekend ;)

20. ptgerald

ptgerald NI Product Owner

analyzing external drive extremeley slow

I am having the same issue. I am analyzing my collection for the first time and it is taking forever. I added two mp3 folders in the Data locations tab in Preferences (one on the internal HD and one on the external HD). Then I told it analyze the external folder. It has been going all day. TS performance has been severly delayed! Ever mouse click is delayed but several seconds.

HP Turion X2 TL-52
    2 gig of ram
    120 gig HD

500gig external drive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.