1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

I have to say "well done NI"

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Trickle2007, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Trickle2007

Trickle2007 NI Product Owner

And I mean it in the most respectful way...

I hardly know any other company than NI that follows a new business strategy as consequent and sensible. From a business point of view I have great respect for taking the risk and making the decisions that come with a lot of pain (as we see in the forum).

Maybe it's not for everyone. Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong. But, at least, I wish more companies would have the balls to act like NI in this position.

So, after a lot of complain in the forum (also from me) I have to say: well done, NI.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Do I detect a slight irony here???????o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Trickle2007

Really not at all. I work as a business consultant and I‘d love to see this straight behavior from many of my clients...

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

it must be April 1st.. otherwise your comments make zero sense.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Trickle2007

I totally understand what you mean...
    Let‘s say there are two of me: one guy who is totally pissed by the new strategy, because I wished NI would follow the serious path of pro audio software. I really wanted to have a more adult Maschine sequencer, so that I won‘t have to switch to a DAW anymore... so on this hand, I‘m frustrated to see that my money was invested in the wrong product.

On the other hand, I realized the picture of the new business strategy and how consistent NI as a company is acting regarding this new strategy.
    I don’t like it as a user. I think it’s wrong regarding the future of the company.
    But I‘m impressed how consequent NI is working in this direction, regardless of harm they do to parts of the existing user base, we all are.
    I saw many companies decline by trying to realize a new strategy but without making the needed decisions that would also harm the existing business but also make the new business possible in the first way.

It‘s a little bit like Amazon - I hate what they do to businesses and how they intimidate privacy - but I‘m impressed how they do it.

Hope this makes a little more sense...?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. tempsperdu

Except they have never been straight with their users...........................
    I see what you mean and in some ways I do hope it works for them because if it doesn't it's an ex business and that's not good for anyone. If it does work however they owe it to their users to come good for them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

So... What you're saying is consistency when changing target audience and direction is always good, always, regardless of anything else? Like for example that new direction actually making sense? o_O

I can't wait to see whole new flood of newbie customers to be absolutely confused about how to integrate their devices in their DAW... The advanced ones already have trouble, let's see the completely inexperienced ones dealing with it. You cant even use the transport controls of a MikroMK3 on a DAW, I assume the new tiny keyboards will be the same... So why attract that audience? Are they expecting people to make music just with a Mikro? oh lord...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  8. AureVoir

AureVoir NI Product Owner

It's funny you should make this point. I was sitting in a meeting the other day and something the exec said (they came in this week and "talked to us about the direction of the company") and they made a point that I ignored until now. they told us in some many words "we used to make our products and that was that we sold them to the company and we were done with them. That's not the model we operate under anymore. We have decided to go into another direction and follow our customers through the life of the object so that we can ensure when it comes time to buy again, they will want to consider us. they will want to do business with us and they will tell others to do business with us too." I agree, a Consistently Consistent company is a great one, but the point is to Consistently be delivering customer satisfaction. They are supposed to be selling us tools for creativity, not just exercising creative marketing practices on us. They saw an opportunity to test their sounds<.>com integration before Maschine 3.0. I am happy to follow their lead though. I will take the hint, they are here to be a One Stop Shop for new producers trying to learn what it is to produce and DJ. once you learn how to produce and grow out of the sandbox you're on your own... I came and I learned terminology and arrangement, when to use plugins and how to write music, its time I leave the sandbox I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

I don't believe they should be introducing new products when they still haven't fixed problems with the existing products.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

You'd think with a username like that you'd get it by now and just accept your lot in life. NI is a money making machine, and those problems cost them money. It might be worthy of kudos, but I'm not so sure it was well done. I'm still yawning from the announcement, and it'll do little to stop the Force of Akai.

3.0 better be one heck of a humdinger!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

NI loves to put the cart before the horse in case you wondering why your hardware has no real horsepower inside ... eventually the horse'll catch up! :oops:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tempsperdu

or sold off to the glue factory perhaps....................................

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

You mean like what happened to Akai in 2000? Just look at them now with a spanking brand new baby. NI on the other hand is that kind of unique entity that you know can produce their own offspring, I forgot what it's called, but I think it's bi-lateral or something. I guess it works for some organisms so why not for NI.

It's not like the heat is on or anything for NI, but at least they still seem to be cooking something up. I have to remember this is suppose to be the positive thread. I can only imagine it was the right thing for them to do despite my personal feeling on the subject. I may try and crack jokes about them here and there, but I do still believe they care about the customers, and that they will come through .., or die trying (so to speak). Or should I say so to sniff if they go the way of the glue factory? hahaha

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

I read this as "that kind of unique entity that can reproduce with their own offspring" (incest) and took that to mean adding Sounds.com into Maschine, which actually made a lot of sense and made me laugh.

Really though, I think the casually-interested hobbyist is a far bigger target demographic than serious professionals. Think about it from the perspective of teens these days: it's a complete Wild West in terms of monetizing music given low revenue from streaming services, so sinking much money into making music doesn't make sense for a lot of people, so they only pursue it as a hobby.

It's incredibly frustrating for the pro users though. I'm expecting something that's a workhorse and is going to compete with AKAI, and be a tool rather than a toy. NI's continual lack of comment about stuff like MCU not being on the MK2 says it all. Heck, they're bundling Ableton Live Lite now and support for Cubase and Nuendo isn't even there out of the box on the M32, it's "Coming Soon". Whilst a lot of professionals do use Ableton Live, it's also the go-to DAW for hobbyists. Cubase/Nuendo obviously being the go-to for post and scoring. With that said, Studio One won the DAW of the year award, and I was an avid S1 user, but recently switched to Reaper where there's a community plugin for KKMK2 integration. This much is clear though; the professional user is now completely secondary to NI.

I'm just hoping there's a trickle-down effect from the revenue generated from the casual users using sounds.com so that there's more of a budget for developing meaningful features, i.e. the promised ones.

The potential is there, the hardware (KKMK2 and Maschine MK3) is great, I really thought that these were going to be the defacto standard amidst pros, and I could see them being, provided that the software was updated to meet 20 year old standards like MCU on the latest hardware.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

Oh snaps, you mean to tell me they offer a free version of Komplete? I know it's not open-source, but that's why they make the big bucks and I don't, because they more than likely know what they're doing. ;)

Edit: My main point I forgot to add was that it does move them closer to "well done" in my book.

16. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

.....i've already been here.

17. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

The M32 page says "Cubase/Nuendo support will be added in a future update"

Can't help thinking I've heard that before .....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

Interesting read.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Oof!

20. Frankknuck

Frankknuck NI Product Owner

If I'm not mistaken, I think one of the ideas behind "agile" development that NI announced they switched to, is that it's a purposeful practice to release products into the market before they are complete.

I think the belief is, you don't know what the customer really wants until they have it in hand, so best to get it into their hands first than to hold it back tweaking things they may not actually want. Once it's in the wild, you can then continue to iterate on it.

This combined with NI announcing recently that they will ask to collect information about how you use the products leads me to think they are trying to understand certain consumer behavior (your guess is as good as mine there). If i was to speculate, with them pushing into a broader market of casual music production, it's all related.

I really hope now that they have all this hardware in the market and have their integrated vision realized, they turn to improving core functionality. As we all known for years, the potential has been more exciting than the actual product for a bit.