I need a "remember this mix" button

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by solcalderon, Apr 15, 2016.

1. solcalderon

solcalderon New Member

I've always wished that when I discover two tracks that mix well together that I could simply push a button that remembers that particular mix. Then the next time I select that track a pop-up window would appear and show me a list of all the tracks that mix well out of that track (based on the mixes I've indicated work well in the past). Then as time goes on and you discover multiple tracks that mix well out of a particular track it would remember all of those potential mixes and suggest them to you.

Rekordbox is the only other DJ software I'm aware of that offers this exact feature. It's called "Match". They beat NI to it, but I'm sure NI could one-up Rekordbox by offering a more advanced version of this very feature. Perhaps provide a way to quickly preview the suggested mixes without actually having to load the suggested track? Hmm...Rekordbox may actually already do that as well. Ooh!!! Here's how you could one-up Rekordbox... Provide a feature within the "suggested mixes for this track" window that would also suggest exactly at what time you should mix each of the suggested tracks into the current track. For example, I always make a note in the comments section of each track which denotes exactly where in the track I should drop the next track in (I.E. drop next track in when 1:30 seconds remain in this track). Perhaps just create an automatic marker on the current track which shows where you want to drop the next track. The marker position could change as you scroll through the list of potential tracks to mix into the current track. This could be done in several different ways to make it a little more elegant than how I explain. You get the idea...

Either way about it, this would be of MONUMENTAL help for all Traktor DJs. I'm tired of having to create playlists to remember tracks that mix well together. This wouldn't be too hard would it? Thanks for keeping an open ear to us DJs' suggestions!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Plangin

Plangin NI Product Owner

Regarding you Match feature. This is already realized in Traktor DJ for iOS since 2013. It's called "Recommended Tracks":

photo.png

It looks like Traktor suggests similar tracks depending on key and BPM.

This kind of marker is already there. It's called Fade-Out.

3. solcalderon

solcalderon New Member

You may have misunderstood my request. I'm not interested in Traktor automatically recommending tracks to me based on tempo and key. I'm interested in Traktor allowing me to manually create a list of recommends mixes for each track in my collection based on my personal preferences. I base my mix programming decisions on much more than just tempo and key. And in many cases I'll randomly discover a mix that I like while mixing tracks on the fly. I need the ability to quickly designate a mix as one that I'd like to play again in the future. And to build a list of such mixes for every track in my library as time progresses.

That would require a whole other layer of functionality beyond the existing "recommended tracks" function.

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  4. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  5. solcalderon

solcalderon New Member

Yeah, that is pretty much right along the lines of what I'm requesting. Though I would like to take it a step or two further by also having the ability to designate a separate fade out marker for each of the "love connections".

Glad to knowing not the only person thinking about this. It would be extremely helpful wouldn't it?

Thanks,
    Sol

Yep

6. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

it's a pitty that this part of the forum is not of much use. there are many requests and so few of them see the light.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

I totally agree with this. What the point of having this when NI does so little.

If NI is really listening go a head and sticky the user requested features that were actually implemented.

8. solcalderon

solcalderon New Member

That's really too bad. I wonder if NI is just too understaffed to track user requests. Perhaps it's just not cost-effective for them. I will say this... With the abundance of DJ software that's entered the market the last few years it's bound to get more competitive. I've been looking at Rekordbox a lot lately and they appear to be far ahead of the competition in terms of feature set. All of my friends who DJ professionally have begun switching over to Rekordbox one by one because Traktor and Serato have fallen behind. They're trying to convince me to follow suit. Ive decided to start using it for my gigs at clubs with Pioneer mixers. The only thing that has prevented me from completely leaving Traktor is the fact that I prefer to use DVS control and also the fact that I use a Rane MP2015 mixer at home. If Pioneer comes out with a Rekordbox hardware interface that allows DVS control from any mixer, I will have to seriously consider switching platforms. Hopefully, Traktor catches up with Rekordbox soon so I don't have to. It would be nice to know what NI has planned for future functionality so I can make that decision now.

Time will tell...

9. SirReal

SirReal NI Product Owner

Ummmm...Why can't you look at the Mix History and save it as a playlist?

10. solcalderon

solcalderon New Member

Ummm....that is exactly how I'm having to do it right now and it's extremely inefficient and unpractical. Think of it like this... If you have ten different mixes that you like to do out of a particular track, do you really want to create ten different playlists (each consisting of just two tracks) just for the purpose of remembering those ten mixes? And if you do that, how are you going to quickly find those ten mixes while in the middle of a set at a gig? Scroll through hundreds of playlists? This would be a completely unsustainable approach with a large music collection.

The method I've laid out would provide a quick and easy way to designate mixes you'd like to use in the future plus it would automatically display all of your preferred mixes out of each track in your library in real time as you scroll through your music collection. As I mentioned in my original post, Rekordbox already offers such functionality, and they've added some really cool mix preview features along with it. I can't see any reason why NI wouldn't want to offer a similar feature, if anything just for the sake of remaining competitive against Rekordbox. Many of the local DJs in my community are abandoning Traktor for Rekordbox because of their forward thinking approach. Especially now that they're offering DVS support. I'm sticking with Traktor for now because I really like my Rane MP2015 mixer, which does not support Rekordbox.

I'm going to keep lobbying for a feature like this in Traktor because it would improve my user experience substantially and help me work much more efficiently. I do appreciate your feedback though...

11. reddread23

reddread23 New Member

+1 for this... I'm seriously considering moving to Rekordbox for this feature alone.. I don't want to do it but the lack of integration with Traktor means it may be necessary. If this functionality is not implemented in Traktor, you can pretty much guarantee Rekordbox will catch up on the midi side of things.

The fact that so many people are happy to move to Rekordbox even though, relative to Traktor, it has virtually no functionality, should be a big warning sign!!!!

PLeeeeeeaaaassseeeee!!!!!

12. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

this is one of those "browser enhancements" that would make traktor stand out from the competition.

it's been reasoned enough that the vast majority of digital dj's need tools to be efficient, to help in the task of navigating and managing huge libraries, this is something that the old-school dj did not suffer because the amount of music to manage was much smaller.

it's not something to be taken lightly, anything that can help us save time or improve efficiency in backoffice tasks or live performance workflow, should be studied and implemented.

stems decks are nice as an innovation, you made your point NI, but they are not for everybody and has stolen the focus from other necessary improvements for 5 years already. sampler decks, remix decks, stem decks... probably won't lure many new customers, and won't help much convincing the average dj stay with NI.

focusing on improving the overall traktor experience would be a benefit for all of us, average and "extreme" dj's, this would secure your current customers, and would probably expand further if everybody's happy using your plattform.

there was a time when i would blindly recommend NI to any prospect dj or switcher to the digital realm who asked me. this was a long time ago, due to the lack of evolution that traktor has had for what i'd call, the 'real life' dj.

• Like Like x 1
  13. __TakTraum__

__TakTraum__ NI Product Owner

I'm using the column "Mix" for this. Of course, the column width is very limited, but it's ok and AFAIK this field is only used (and readable) by Traktor, so you don't affect any other software. You can also display this field in the track header which gives you more available space (at least for reading).

My notation is like this:
    • > as delimiter
    • no spaces, no punctuation marks
    • trackTitle(Remixer)
    • To use the space efficiently I put in just enough info to find it using the search function.
    e.g. >DontYouWantMe>Situation(US).
    It means that the current track mixes well with Don't You Want Me or with Situation (US Mix).

14. reddread23

reddread23 New Member

Taktraum... I can see this workaround working for the odd tune but it will become very clumsy quite quickly. As well as techno, I DJ a lot of reggae - appropriate mixes are identified by the 'riddim' the tune is on - often 20 or more tracks can fall in this category. This would get very messy!!!

15. alec.tron

alec.tron NI Product Owner

Same here, I am/was hoping for ANY of the DVS systems to come up with tools & functionalities that make use of the available compute & knowledge of data handling & databases, after all it is 2016...
    But, there is none... RB probably has the most comfortable tool set, but lacks massively as well imo, and since all the work you invest into tracks & playlists in RB (and the metadata) can NOT be exported into tracks, but lives inside of RBs databases (cue points, etc) one would need to have an available & reliable tool to do so in order not to be painted into a corner...
    Rekordbuddy 2 wants to be said tool, but has failed to deliver so far, even to the Mac users, let alone Windows...

Anyhow, apart from the 'Remember this mix' (either via database, auto playlist generation, or my preference, metadata in file [written/controlled by the user, i.e. a metadata field MixINto / MixOUTto or something similar that can store multiple values (probably a file-location... )]), there is a few simple to implement features, that have been ignored from day 1 by all DVS systems, i.e. I really want to store dummy entries & notes inside of a playlists. But in 2 ways:
    - as cue points (relative cue point notes, only true inside/part of a specific playlist/mix, as well as global cue point notes that are valid/shown everywhere).
    - and spinning with vinyl and a mixture of DVS & vinyl, I want to be able to remember something relative to a given mix that's not necessarily a cue piint, i.e. add a dummy-track-entry (that I have on vinyl only for example) or a Note to remember something about a given mix...

Just some thoughts.
    c.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  16. eamin

eamin New Member

The ability to save an "environment" that includes the state of decks, remix decks, loops, positions etc. seems very much a given once you begin to work over the same remix over several sessions.
    Perhaps some macro software on the Mac could do that? Assuming one is comfortable with managing one's music with macros.

17. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

Love this suggestion. It opens the door to so many auto-Playlist options.

Even better if it was mappable to a keyboard key...

18. bohlrocka

bohlrocka New Member

19. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner